Union Officer (Verlinden 120mm)

Having enjoyed my first build in this group build (Airfix Dennis Fire Engine) thought I would have another go.

Staying outside my comfort zone, my second build will a figure. Verlinden 120mm Union Officer. The American Civil War is a period of history that has always interested me.

Purchased for £5 from Wakefield Model & Craft Centre closing down sale. Was sad to see it go and it a made a shopping trip to Morrisons next door bearable.

Box01_UnionOfficer_zps5769ce1d.jpg

Parts01_UnionOfficer_zpsdc078d8a.jpg

Will be looking for some tips on this especially on how to paint faces and eyes.

• Like 1

I love the Verlinden figures, always good moulds,

As for the eyes/face;

Paint the white of the eyes first after priming the whole model, paint a brown dot for the pupil and iris, use brown for the upper eyelid and top lip, You can be messy with white and brown. Then use a a dark ochre for the face colour base, and lighten the ochre or flesh tone mildly with each new coat to create a depth of colour and some shadows. I then clear coat it, use pin washes for deeper shadows and some very light dry bushing for the highlights. You can follow the same technique for the rest of the clothing.

I tend to paint the raised detail such as belts, buttons etc, then paint up to them on the clothing which is easier by far! But the biggest tip I can really give, is use top quality sable brushes. My figures have been twice as good from just a brush change!

I hope this helps,

Regards

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good call, I had forgotten to wash the parts.

Some primer and paint has know been applied.

Build02_UnionOfficer_zpsb2586d33.jpg

As you can see I haven't touch the face yet.

Progress will slow for a while as I have had to pack everything away as the family are coming to stay and I need the spare bedroom/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After an pleasant interruption from family, finally got round to unpacking the modelling bench. Work has resumed.

Assembled the main body parts.

Build03_UnionOfficer_zps92927a8e.jpg

Before make a start on the head.

Build04_UnionOfficer_zpsefd7cef3.jpg

Looks passable from a distance but doesn't stand close inspection.

Need some more practice on painting faces, but happy for a first attempt.

• Like 3

Very nice. I like how you guys with figures can make the shadows and lighter areas, to give it extra depth and make it look not so "flat and plastic". I think once you learn this, you can excel in painting anything else. But i know it can take ages before one learns it.. Your figure looks realy great, so i guess you are there already ;)

• 3 months later...