Proposal for a "Queen bee" Drone conversion set for the new 1/72 Airfix Tiger Moth

Violet Club

It is worth adding that the Queen Bees were not based on Tiger Moth fuselages, having slab sides. That would increase the needs for the conversion. Probably this can be represented just by sanding down the sides of the kit.

Source: Stuart Mackay's tome on the Tiger Moth from Midland Counties.

Edit You beat me to it...

Edited by Graham Boak

The width difference is mentioned on the Tiger Moth thread, it's only a couple of inches, so sanding off the stringer on the side of the fuselage is almost there. See John's post:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950322-airfix-tiger-moth/?p=1555770

I wonder if the floats from the Matchbox Seafox are the right size? Or the Supermarine S6?

Not sure those floats mentioned above will be right. Too big for a start. But It shouldn't be too hard to convert the airframe with just floats needed. And the blanking off cover for the rear seat.

But how about a conversion set to turn the Tiger Moth into the Thruxton Jackaroo!! Four seater fuselage. inserts eithe side of the upper wing fuel tank thus extending the wingspan. or an Ambulance version as used by RAAF in the far east, or a Crop sprayer?

OR... better still, a conversion to the Canadian variant. New main wing struts, new tailplanes with trim tabs to the elevators, cockpit coaming replacement and cockpit canopy, The Menasco engine! The Airfix kit already makes this part easier as the Gipsy engine cowls is a separate part, though a tailwheel is already included on the sprue as Canadian ones had them fitted. The only other alteration to the build one would have to do with these new parts would be to angle the main undercart legs forward by shortening the forward struts here.

The Airfix Auster floats are the wrong shape. You are looking for ones shaped like the S6B but a fair bit smaller I suspect. They may be workable by thinning and shortening. There have been previous discussions on prewar floats (based on the Osprey, I think) and I believe that John Adams may have mentioned the Moth ones as they came up in the discussion... I'm sure he's at least thought about them.