Trumpeter 1/35 BR-52 Steifrahmentender

well I tried Pete's trick of using shoe polish and I must admit, it's exactly what I was hoping for - a good, rich natural base color

The back of the floor doesn't look as dark and that's because that's where I started to use CA to seal the wood before I gave up on that idea and sealed it with a flat coat. I'm not worried about the discoloration because it'll be weathered with coal dust and mud, so you won't even notice it.

IMG_5697_zpsf13a963b.jpg

IMG_5696_zps6a090d4a.jpg

Both of these items will look a bit better with some weathering which I'll do once the polish has hopefully dried. I'll seal it all in with a flat coat of enamel which all being well won't screw it up. It'll also help ensure that the paint will adhere to the plastic to once I get to it.

Thanks for the great tip Pete!

Si

• Like 1

hi all

As of now, I am putting this away for a little bit. Not because I have cracked the sad's with it or anything like that - it's just that I just can't hold back the urge to start on another 2199 ship any longer. It's screaming at me to build it, so I have to silence it by doing exactly what it wants me to do. Just like listening to the wife......

Once it's done and I've satisfied the monster (the kit - not the wife) I'll resume this build.

Besides, I did say this might take a while ;)

Thanks everyone

MH

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well, the astro battleship is all but finished - I just need to do the final wiring onto the base and it's done.

In the mean time, seeing as the intended buddy build seems to have fallen by the wayside, I have decided to recommence the BR52 and try get it finished.

I have started to put the cab together. The main frontage has been primed and looks good. The roof has had it's PE stuff added and is also primed ready for painting - which I will start doing tonight if the rain lets up.

I've also rusted the frame of the engine and it is currently waiting for the matte coat to dry before I start work on that too. I won't be doing too much rust - just a little bit on the inside as active engines weren't all that rusty, but in contrast to that, I have also seen pics of the inside of the chassis being quite rusted and dirty - so I'll have to be restrained and selective about what and where I rust

I also need to replace the brass pipes that run down the side of the boiler with thinner rod, so it'll be off to the hobby shop shortly to see what I can find

Enough talkin' - time for some pics. First up, the cab as it stands now. Bear in mind, the floor has yet to be weathered - but that'll be the last thing to do:

IMG_6374_zpsc7a2299d.jpg

IMG_6375_zpsd6c19b64.jpg

IMG_6376_zpsfe20fe6e.jpg

IMG_6377_zps294a6369.jpg

IMG_6378_zps12190096.jpg

IMG_6379_zpsa445b77d.jpg

IMG_6380_zps821be7ac.jpg

IMG_6382_zps1f995c8b.jpg

I'm also seriously eying up the K5 as the next project to be under taken - I just have a question of shelf space to address first :)

Well, that's all for now, be back again soon

Thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter

Thanks bud

I had thought about that but I can't be bothered lighting this one (a first for me). I'm using this as an exercise in painting as well as real world detailing so lighting has taken a back seat (so to speak)

I've spent time replacing the brass piping along the side of the boiler and adding the bracing to them so it looks s much better now. I'm waiting to get replacement sand taps for the whole bank of them I lost while it was put away for the 2199 build I just finished. Failing that, I'll replace them with the Eduard taps and wire. However, I'm confident Libor will come through with the replacements

Thanks for posting your interest Oddball, it is really appreciated

Si

greetings

Well, work continues with the driver's cab and it's now not far from completion.

For a long time, I admonished my painting skills as being rather....lacking. However, on this project, I am really happy with how things have come out so far and they look just like how I pictured and in some cases, how they look in real pictures. This is the case for the cab - I am super happy with how it's come out so far.

There are still a few things to tidy up - ie: the dials, the wooden grip on the bar thing in the middle and some other smaller bits and bobs, and most of those will be done today

I am seriously reconsidering not having any lighting int his - the cab will be dark and even the wife (who has zero interest in modelling) said it would be a shame not to be able to see it once it's all closed up. So now, I'm thinking on how to install an SMD into the roof space and how to hide the wires - which won't be an easy task. I am thinking I may have to drill a hole in the top of the boiler and run them through that into boiler itself - which will be where I house the battery. As for a switch - well, not sure about that either, but I'll figure something out.

Anyway, enough blabbing, here's a couple of pics:

IMG_6545_zps8e94d157.jpg

IMG_6549_zps5bf93649.jpg

IMG_6552_zps6394a0a5.jpg

IMG_6553_zps69c4f378.jpg

IMG_6554_zps05671369.jpg

IMG_6563_zps86865122.jpg

IMG_6565_zps95780a54.jpg

The side walls also need a bit of fixing up here and there. but so far, I'm really happy with it

Well, that's all I have for now. Will be back again soon enough

Thanks for looking in

Si

• Like 5

Nice to see this one back on the rails.

I thought you'd run out of steam.

Ahem.

Light. How about just lighting up the firebox?

A flickering light? Would add atmosphere.

Don't know if it would be bright enough though.

Slowest builder? That'd be me. Somewhere in the 'must get back to this one day' section of the stash I have a Matchbox F-4M/K Phantom II that I started back in 79 or 80 - I really should dig that out and finish it.

In other news, your choo choo looks the bomb - now that you're back on the boil, keep it going. I would like to see it done, something different.

Edited by Rob G

thanks guys :)

yes, the flickering firebox. About 5 different people have all suggested that to me so far. I wish they'd done that BEFORE I sealed up the box. You'll just have to make do with the one SMD in the ceiling I'm afraid :) It is a good idea none the less though - maybe on another train I might think about it but I'm pretty sure after doing this one, that'll be it for steam engines for me. As enjoyable as this has been it's also been incredibly hard work (well, more than what I'm used to anyways) and I don't think I can/want to put myself through this again.

I still have the Leopold to look forward to yet!

Greetings all

Well, it's been a great Father's Day today - been a beauty day for it! Sun's been out, it's warm but not to hot. Just beautiful.

As for this build, well, it's slowly coming together. The walls of the cab are now on, the back wall is painted and the roof has an SMD on it ready to light it. I ended up making my own seats as all the pics I have show that were wooden. Not the straight blocks Trumpeter would have you use. What cracks me up though is Eduard give you this wooden grain access door but the rest of the kit part looks nothing at all like wood, so instead of enhancing the look, it makes it stand out. Therefore, I remade my own one's using balsa and I like them. I've tried to recreate the worn look of vinyl and one worked pretty well - the other one....not so much, but it'll do. You won't see it once the roof goes on anyway.

Speaking of which, I should have the roof on this soon and then it's back to the chassis and fun with air tanks :)

IMG_6692_zps4496e22a.jpg

IMG_6694_zpsc3b2f7d1.jpg

IMG_6696_zps156cd341.jpg

IMG_6697_zpsd0e87c08.jpg

IMG_6698_zpsb37ae20f.jpg

IMG_6700_zps49a1fb82.jpg

I've tried my hand at texturising my painting using pigments and I like the effect it has. The below pic shows this quite well I think:

IMG_6701_zps62035250.jpg

IMG_6706_zpsc656a038.jpg

I thought I'd gotten rid of all the ejector marks, but it seems I haven't done a very good job on that. But because it'll be dark in there, no one's going to see them, so they'll do fine.

Well, that's all I have for now, but thanks for stopping in and having a look

MH

• Like 5

Thank you Jorgen, your being way to kind :blush:

Greetings once again

Today's progress has been good - the frame has been base painted and I'll start doing the weathering on it tonight (rusting etc)

The wheels are pretty much done - they just need a touch of grime in the center and other moving part areas/ I'm happy with how they've come out in in the right light have that light sheen making them look like metal. The tops of the wheels are painted with Alclad.

And I have put a couple of bits of coal on the cab floor and on the tray below the firebox door just to give it some interest. I'd like to find some appropriately scaled oil cans etc to sit on the tray above the door, but I haven't found anything of use. I also need to find a suitably sized spade.

IMG_6717_zps48e7e019.jpg

IMG_6718_zps1303603c.jpg

IMG_6719_zps890952e6.jpg

IMG_6723_zpsa82e7ec4.jpg

IMG_6763_zps267d7989.jpg

IMG_6770_zpsf8d23387.jpg

Well, that's it for today. I'm working on the air tanks and the plumbing at the moment, so pics once they're done and on. The boiler is pretty much sorted so it's onto the final stretch I think

Thanks again for stopping in

MH

• Like 4

quick update

Have made a decent start on the chassis and the cab is all but finished. I've been adding a couple of small things here and there to humanise it - like propaganda posters and a news paper held down by a chunk of coal

I spent ages editing these pics in photobucket, but the changes don't seem to have taken. Not sure why. Anyway, the raw pics:

IMG_6994_zps7169be88.jpg

IMG_6995_zps8507c1a4.jpg

IMG_6996_zps0cc3eb5e.jpg

IMG_6998_zps20447147.jpg

IMG_7000_zpsd94b5b2e.jpg

IMG_7004_zps90ceb7ef.jpg

IMG_7005_zpsfc01f083.jpg

IMG_7006_zpsb682f151.jpg

IMG_7007_zpsa169c0d1.jpg

well, that's all for now. I'm currently dressing up the generator thing on the side, so pics of that shortly

till then

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 5

I really like the additions to the cab, maybe the coal could do with a bit of crushed coal dust to reinforce the pigment? That said I'm not sure how dusty or crushed German coal would be :)

I think this is the best thing you've made so far - great intersection of the mad tiny detailing and excellent paintwork.

Will

That said I'm not sure how dusty or crushed German coal would be :)

Same as any other once you've trodden on it a couple of times I'd imagine. :winkgrin:

Really enjoying what you are doing here Hatter.....May have to nick a few of your ideas in the event I ever get started on my 1/72 kit (I've got the Leopold too). :thumbsup:

thanks guys - glad you all approve of it so far :)

I finished painting the compressor last night and I'll weather it accordingly today with pics hopefully tonight. I still need to add some final bits and bobs to the chassis, but it's getting close now to final assembly I think! Yay!!

Thanks again guys

Si

greetings

Well, time for the final update this week. Next up - the compressor

Trumpeter give you an OK one - but when compared tot he real thing - well, it's like most of Trumpeter's detailing - imaginary and sparse. Still, it gives you a great template to do something with and even despite the above comments, it still looks like a compressor - so I can't complain

To be honest - I didn't do a heck of a lot - just added some missing nuts, wires and raised surfaces on the bottom. Nothing special

IMG_7012_zps8cf74d14.jpg

IMG_7016_zps8c795c67.jpg

IMG_7018_zps3dc8a6f2.jpg

IMG_7020_zpsa13a6efb.jpg

Now looks like this:

IMG_7022_zpsb52122da.jpg

IMG_7026_zps921a0241.jpg

IMG_7028_zps712d39d9.jpg

IMG_7049_zps39f72cdc.jpg

IMG_7051_zps66800d13.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but thanks for stopping in again and having a look

See you all later

MH

• Like 3