DONE! Hobby Boss 1/72 F-14A VF-41 Gulf of Sidra 1981

Good finish on the paintwork ! Do you think the canopy fit problem is with the kit or something just went wrong during the assembly ?

Thanks Giorgio.

I think the cockpit/nose gear bay assembly didn't locate 'low' enough....which meant the panel shroud sat too 'high' for the canopy. I had to sand away the corners to get the canopy close to fitting.

Also, I found the canopy appeared too narrow to fit across the fuselage - though that might be because of the above.

Cheers,

Dermot

In the home stretch myself and just need to add missiles and the main u/c doors and some other small bits before final varnish coat.

I like how the nose doors are pre-moulded to the fuselage.....takes away the fiddly fit of those and looks fine. Sorry for the crappy photo from phone.

HobbyBossF-14A1_72Homestretch_zps2c9ca9e

This will be Tomcat #2 for the year - considering it's the middle of June, I think I was close enough with a guess-timate of building 4 of them in 2014.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 1

Looks good Dermo.

I didn't notice it before, but you appear to have added the tank pylons under the intakes - great attention to detail and also some nice scratchbuilding (?).

Andrew.

• Like 1

Looks good Dermo.

I didn't notice it before, but you appear to have added the tank pylons under the intakes - great attention to detail and also some nice scratchbuilding (?).

Andrew.

Cheers Andrew and you're spot on.

From what I've read, Fast Eagle 107 didn't carry drop tanks that day but did have the pylons fitted.

These were scrounged from an F/A-18 Hornet kit and are close enough in size/length for this - measured them using Mk 1 eyeball next to the kit tanks!

This is how she looked last night - will take some proper pics tomorrow and add to the Gallery.

HobbyBossF-14AVF-41_zps5bed17c3.jpg

All the best, Tomcatters.

Dermot

• Like 4

Well, still have to add a couple of Phoenix missiles but am calling this one done.

HobbyBoss1_72F-14AVF-41Left_zpsbf79c928.

HobbyBoss1_72F-14AVF-41Right2_zps3a04745

HobbyBoss1_72F-14AVF-41Right_zps063e29c7

More photos in the gallery.

Big thanks to Dave and Giorgio for hosting (and answering all my 'Cat questions) and to Brian from Fightertown for the prizes. And to all of you who either built or just dropped by here to comment - I appreciate it!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

Great result Dermot,

Lovely attention to detail throughout your build and an excellent finish. I hope you can get the Phoenix missiles on and photographed, it would make it even more impressive.

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...