DONE! Hobby Boss 1/72 F-14A VF-41 Gulf of Sidra 1981

Hi everyone,

This is my entry for the GB, from Hobby Boss in 1/72.

HobbyBossF-14ATomcat_zpsd82fc9a1.jpg

Some references....not all relevant to this build but good reads nonetheless.

TomcatF-14refs_zps9483e15e.jpg

This will be a build of a VF-41 'Black Aces' Tomcat from the Gulf of Sidra incident in 1981.

Fast_Eagle_102_zps14eb01ed.jpg

(Source: Wikipedia commons; public domain)

It probably won't be the most colourful build on this GB (as she's mostly grey) but an eventful story and one that's worth remembering I think.

Good luck with your own builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 2

Good choice ! And the HB kit from what I see should have the perfect configuration out of the box to build one of these aircrafts.

There are a number of pictures of the Sukhoi killers on the C&M book on the Atlantic Fleet Tomcats, let me know if they can be of use !

I was looking at the sprues yesterday with the idea of building the high vis. F-41 scheme from the box and noticed one small detail: the tails have the reinforcing plates added at some point on the Tomcats but these were not yet present in the aircrafts that fought over Sidra. Your choice if you want to remove them or leave them...

Hmmmm...thanks Giorgio. Will have a look at the sprues tonight and think about that.

And since we're talking Tomcats, I'm also going to be building this ancient kit at the same time for a 'Naval' GB on another forum...

AirfixF-14ATomcat_zpsa59cba98.jpg

All the best,

Dermot

• 3 weeks later...

Really can't believe I haven't posted in so long!

Anyway, got the cockpit mostly done with decals from a Hasegawa sheet, as there aren't many in the Hobby Boss kit. The seats are from the kit just with the rings added from 5amp fusewire.

And after much thinking, I decided to add a crew to this build - these are from the Hasegawa pilot set and I moved their heads for some more interest. And no, the pilot won't have those RAF-style knee boards; he 'volunteered' from another jet on the shelf of 'doom!

F-14cockpitampcrew_zps2ff08518.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope to have more progress tomorrow night.

Dermot

• Like 2

So almost got the aircrew finished for this - just some paint touch ups to go on their legs (where they lost a few kilos) and adding their arms once they're in the cockpit. The belts are from wine bottle foil and while I'm happy enough with them, they kinda look HUGE now that I've photographed them!

The white residue is white glue that hadn't dried when I snapped 'em.

1_72Tomcatpilots1_zps53364994.jpg

I also tried to give them a 'Black Aces' badge on the back of their helmets, as they have on the 1/1 scale. (dude on the right)

1_72Tomcatpilots2_zpsc0175457.jpg

Will button up the 'pit tomorrow!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I haven't posted in so long here! Anyway, here's the latest with this one. Apologies in advance for the crappy photos..

Finished the wings recently...future, decals, wash and weathering.

F-14wings_zps247bc1a2.jpg

Then I put the wings and lower fuselage in place on the custom jig courtesy of my son's spare Lego. The jig is to stop the wing gears from slipping out of sync with each other before the top half was added.

F-14wings2_zps2d33c757.jpg

And then the top fuselage and nose added. Just a smidge of filler needed on the fuselage spine and on the nose.

F-14wings3_zps767deb64.jpg

While you can't see them, the intakes have also been added.

Hopefully get some paint on at the weekend.

Thanks for looking!
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And finally with some paint on and the cockpit revealed. This is two coats, brush-painted of Light Gull Grey mixed according to Revell's instructions (as those are the paints I'm using). Also masked and painted the wing bladders and the gun port.

The wings look different as they've been finished.....i'm assuming it will all come good in the end!

HobbyBoss1_72F14paint_zps6a05b0f1.jpg

Some of the fit was only ok (my ham-fisted efforts) and filling and sanding is also my least favourite part of modelling, But hopefully it will look ok once Futured, decaled and weathered.

Until the next time, Tomcatters.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

Quick update all. Paint and wash mostly finished. Still a few small touch ups here and there..

The front canopy was a total b*gger to fit - I think the top of the front instrument panel sub-assembly was slightly raised which interferes with the fit of the canopy over it. Oh, well...you live and learn.

HobbyBossF14Apaint_zpsb9e7981a.jpg

Final pic of the crew before it gets closed up. The macro lens really shows off that canopy goof and all my mistakes....... :fraidnot:

(the rear cockpit deck is hidden by another part plus the rear canopy so not too concerned on that one)

C28CFDAE-F06B-4F18-8EA6-E555FCEAFBDC_zps

Go easy please!

Cheers,

Dermot

Few notes re. 'Fast Eagle 107': according to photos taken aboard USS Nimitz (CVN-68) when that carrier called at the port of Neaples, few days after that incident, 107 has had a black 'anti-glare panel' applied in front of the cockpit.

It is only unclear whether this was removed before return to NAS Oceana, or immediately after - though definitely in time before most of photos of that bird came into being.

Furthermore, during that 'fateful' morning CAP, the plane was armed with 2x AIM-9Ls and 2x AIM-7Fs only, but carried empty Phoenix paletts (front only) too. The 'straight' section of the latter was painted white overall. These details were confirmed by her pilot during that incident, 'Music' Muczinsky, during the 'Tomcat Sunset' symposium, back in September 2006.

Looking good Dermot, and don't be worrying about the cockpit, every build I do has at least one area where I hope people won't notice something (and yet I tend to point it out to bloody everyone!).

J.

Few notes re. 'Fast Eagle 107': according to photos taken aboard USS Nimitz (CVN-68) when that carrier called at the port of Neaples, few days after that incident, 107 has had a black 'anti-glare panel' applied in front of the cockpit.

It is only unclear whether this was removed before return to NAS Oceana, or immediately after - though definitely in time before most of photos of that bird came into being.

Furthermore, during that 'fateful' morning CAP, the plane was armed with 2x AIM-9Ls and 2x AIM-7Fs only, but carried empty Phoenix paletts (front only) too. The 'straight' section of the latter was painted white overall. These details were confirmed by her pilot during that incident, 'Music' Muczinsky, during the 'Tomcat Sunset' symposium, back in September 2006.

Thanks for the information Tom !

The presence of features of different schemes is not surprising in a sense, those were years of changes between hi and low visibility and the presence of parts with different schemes was not uncommon