1/48 Jaguar GR1 (kitty Hawk)

jer

Hi Rob, missed your post of Jag pictures. Will definitely use them for dressing my Jag as you have some quality photos for reference. Many thanks for that.

Cheers

Jer

Cool glad you like them. I also thought it would give you more confidence in using MSG as a faded DSG I have just done it for my build of Vulcan XL426 in her VDF days and it really does fade to pretty much the same shade as fresh MSG.

I really want one of these kits now. I will have to make some room first. At least the Jag is slender and tall that should help me.

Seeing as you have all the panels open are you going to take it further and make it part of a Diorama. It would be cool to have a guy shining a torch up into the open panels with a carefully place LED.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Cool glad you like them. I also thought it would give you more confidence in using MSG as a faded DSG I have just done it for my build of Vulcan XL426 in her VDF days and it really does fade to pretty much the same shade as fresh MSG.

I really want one of these kits now. I will have to make some room first. At least the Jag is slender and tall that should help me.

Seeing as you have all the panels open are you going to take it further and make it part of a Diorama. It would be cool to have a guy shining a torch up into the open panels with a carefully place LED.

Cheers Rob ;)

You were spot on with the fading some if the pictures are very similar to my MSG now.

I saw a diorama you built (vulcan flying over snowy trees which was cool) and some other people's diorama's and keep thinking about having a go at one. Think I might have a chat with my Dad who used to make amazing scenery for his Railway layout and get any tips off him.

The Jag as you say would be good as all the panels are open so I'll have a think about it. What type of equipment would around the Jag if i were to set a scene?

Jer

Removed the canopy mask earlier and found some areas of paint bleed. A couple I nicked off with a cocktail stick but the last was in need of sanding off and then the canopy polished.

Sanded

14144854913_a100e339b4_c.jpg

Polished

14121773602_69ccace3cd_c.jpg

I haven't dipped the canopies in Klear this build as i am getting less satisfied with the results. I dip the canopy normally and rest it on a kitchen towel to soak up the excess but it's not seeming to provide a perfect surface when dry.

Does anyone have a better way to use Klear or recommend an alternative?

• Like 2

I try and leave something on to grip with locking tweezers, part of a sprue or the like. I'll grip the frame in a pinch.

I make sure the whole part is cover and then slowly bring the part up and out of the liquid, letting as much excess drip as possible. Then flip it so it's the correct way it's going on the aircraft and leave the Klear to pool. Using Cotton buds, I let them capillary draw the excess off repeatedly till I'm happy. Once thats done, they go inside a kitchen roll lined takeaway food container for 24 hours :)

When I say Klear, I use Aqua Gloss.

• Like 1

You were spot on with the fading some if the pictures are very similar to my MSG now.

I saw a diorama you built (vulcan flying over snowy trees which was cool) and some other people's diorama's and keep thinking about having a go at one. Think I might have a chat with my Dad who used to make amazing scenery for his Railway layout and get any tips off him.

The Jag as you say would be good as all the panels are open so I'll have a think about it. What type of equipment would around the Jag if i were to set a scene?

Jer

Cool, glad you like it still not finished that yet.

As for equipment I can't say I don't know anything about it. Ask Fritag on here I believe he used to fly Jags.

Go to cosford airshow they usually open all the hangars were they keep the jags they are usually working on one and you might get some info,ideas, etc.

I guess it depends on how far you want to take it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress the only thing I would suggest is build another and have 2 jags being serviced inside a hangar with lights shining down on top of them. That would look pretty cool.

Maybe one being repaired the other being armed ;)

Cheers Rob ;)

I try and leave something on to grip with locking tweezers, part of a sprue or the like. I'll grip the frame in a pinch.

I make sure the whole part is cover and then slowly bring the part up and out of the liquid, letting as much excess drip as possible. Then flip it so it's the correct way it's going on the aircraft and leave the Klear to pool. Using Cotton buds, I let them capillary draw the excess off repeatedly till I'm happy. Once thats done, they go inside a kitchen roll lined takeaway food container for 24 hours :)

When I say Klear, I use Aqua Gloss.

Hadn't thought about leaving a bit of sprue on the canopy, I'll try that. Thanks for the advice!

I have been sticking on the various bits and pieces to complete the Jag. In re-drilling the angle of attack probe I skilfully broke the drill bit off........hmmm.....however my solution is to leave the bit in situ as it's the same size and is so small you'll never know!!

Cocktail stick point for scale...

14187385275_b9713af2b6_c.jpg

You can't tell from over here!

14207361113_7a9f3f7d41_c.jpg

Question time.......I've seen some model Jags that have an area of black on the starboard wing (I've marked the rough area with tape) would this be appropriate for this model? If so does anyone have a picture looking down on the wing so I can get an accurate view.

14187243225_e94d9474b6_c.jpg

• Like 4

Question time.......I've seen some model Jags that have an area of black on the starboard wing (I've marked the rough area with tape) would this be appropriate for this model? If so does anyone have a picture looking down on the wing so I can get an accurate view.

Yes very appropriate, although sometimes noted not present especially on the latter GR3's - only the T2 & T4 were devoid of that panel. In the time I have best I can do is add a shameless image of my GR3 build but if you search hard enough you'll find some wing over pics out there I'm sure.

Nice build by the way

Picture127.jpg

• Like 2

Yes very appropriate, although sometimes noted not present especially on the latter GR3's - only the T2 & T4 were devoid of that panel. In the time I have best I can do is add a shameless image of my GR3 build but if you search hard enough you'll find some wing over pics out there I'm sure.

Nice build by the way

Cheers Gary, I'll carry on looking for pictures but I think I'll add it on. Any idea why it's marked in black? Is it for standing on or something like that.

Cracking Jag you've built!

Yep - the Stbd No1 'di-electric' panel on GR1's was composite and painted black - rather like old radomes were on F4's etc.

By the GR3 stage the gubbins inside was removed, so they just got painted over.

• Like 2

No not for standing on, its an antenna panel - now why its Black........... :shrug:

Thanks Gary, as you can tell I don't have a lot of knowledge and therefore it's a good I didn't work on them!

Yep - the Stbd No1 'di-electric' panel on GR1's was composite and painted black - rather like old radomes were on F4's etc.

By the GR3 stage the gubbins inside was removed, so they just got painted over.

Thanks JagRigger for your advice. It's all appreciated!

Last update....then I'm calling this done!

Been adding the remaining bits and pieces but decided that I needed to tidy up the nose due to the very visible seam (see previous photo's) that was starting to bug me. I filled the seam with Mr Surfacer 500, sanded and resprayed the nose tip and felt happier for doing it!!

14045734639_4be856761c.jpg

So here's a photo of the finished Jag!

14045530479_c023c44a31_c.jpg

This was a great kit to build, it has tricky areas i.e. closing the engine access panels up but most other issues (weren't many) were caused by me rushing due to other projects I want to start!!

I'm sure there's probably various things incorrect with my build but I'm happy with the end result

Many thanks for all the help/advice you guys provided and kind remarks too and a BIG thank you to Breaker for the spare nose which saved this build!

All pictures will be on RFI shortly......

• Like 5

I've just caught up with this and what stunning work in the classic Jag camo scheme.Love the attention to detail throughout and especially the close up of the avionics at #84. Look forward to seeing this in RFI.

• Like 1