1/48 Jaguar GR1 (kitty Hawk)

jer

very nice indeed. I love the colours. What and whos are they please.

I also just today discovered the joys of MrSurfacer as a paintable seam filler. WOW it sands so nice and its tough and gives me the finish I have always worked hard for in the past with CA... Great stuff Indeed.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

very nice indeed. I love the colours. What and whos are they please.

I also just today discovered the joys of MrSurfacer as a paintable seam filler. WOW it sands so nice and its tough and gives me the finish I have always worked hard for in the past with CA... Great stuff Indeed.

Cheers Rob :)

Here you go Rob.....

14055021345_52823e533e_c.jpg

Mr Surfacer is great indeed, I only have the 1000 grade but you can get thicker.

I use the above paints now as well, having tried Humbrol enamel and Xtracrylics. By far the best colour matched paint to spray!

They are a good paint but I've only ever used acrylics. Hmmm in fact did use a Hannants F15 cockpit blue/green enamel and it took days to get dry and I don't have any patience (probably explains the Jag nose mistake!)

Have you used Lifecolour acrylics they're one of the best (in my opinion) paints to spray and you get a lovely finish. Did my recent F15, MiG29 and Eurofighters too.

Hi jer

Just read your thread for the first time and its impressive reading! A couple of observations. You mentioned the AIMC pod early on. Is that the ACMI pod used in place of an over wing Sidewinder (which you are not fitting anyway) when out practicing manouvering, Top Gun style? And secondly, I can see you are a bit of an ace with painting techniques so you probably have a very good reason for using medium sea grey but the standard colour for the 70's is dark sea grey. I would also recommend Warplane Classic No 1 - SEPECAT Jaguar by Andy Evans which has some really good photo references and only cost £8 at the recent Cosford show so may be available from SAM at a similar price? I will watch with interest as your build progresses - very inspirational!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi jer

Just read your thread for the first time and its impressive reading! A couple of observations. You mentioned the AIMC pod early on. Is that the ACMI pod used in place of an over wing Sidewinder (which you are not fitting anyway) when out practicing manouvering, Top Gun style? And secondly, I can see you are a bit of an ace with painting techniques so you probably have a very good reason for using medium sea grey but the standard colour for the 70's is dark sea grey. I would also recommend Warplane Classic No 1 - SEPECAT Jaguar by Andy Evans which has some really good photo references and only cost £8 at the recent Cosford show so may be available from SAM at a similar price? I will watch with interest as your build progresses - very inspirational!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately I'm a great one for research so I'm always please for expert advise!

I was planning on putting the PHIMAT on the outer pylon on the starboard under wing and the ACMI pod on the outer pylon on the port under wing. I have seen photos of them in these positions separately but was under the impression both together on the same plane was ok. Would I be correct in thinking this?

With regards to the med sea grey it was what was in the instructions to use for the GR1 and I tend to follow orders!! I did think it strange as the recent F4 FGR 2 I built used dark sea grey.

12877297573_0e99690aa6_c.jpg

The phantoms Grey is a better I realise now, though I'll be post shading the panel lines and then using a dark wash so hopefully it less obvious it's the wrong colour!!

• Like 1

Thanks for that I hear good things on mr colour.

As regards the actual shades I would not get hung up on it too much as the real ones do go different colours. I have spent many hours looking very closely in person at real Jaguars and other RAF machines but in particular Jags and the same airframes all had many different shades of green and grey. Probably more variations than the so called matches each paint manufacture offers us. The best match I found for RAF Dark green is actually Humbroll 66. For some airframes.

As for the Grey DSG does fade to MSG very close anyways. Look at Vulcan XL426 for that. There is a shot of her and Freshly painted XH558 together in MSG but XL426 In faded DSG looks the same.

When weathered and finished it will look super I bet.

Cheers Rob ;) Oh and BTW Gorgeous Phantom :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that I hear good things on mr colour.

As regards the actual shades I would not get hung up on it too much as the real ones do go different colours. I have spent many hours looking very closely in person at real Jaguars and other RAF machines but in particular Jags and the same airframes all had many different shades of green and grey. Probably more variations than the so called matches each paint manufacture offers us. The best match I found for RAF Dark green is actually Humbroll 66. For some airframes.

As for the Grey DSG does fade to MSG very close anyways. Look at Vulcan XL426 for that. There is a shot of her and Freshly painted XH558 together in MSG but XL426 In faded DSG looks the same.

When weathered and finished it will look super I bet

Cheers Rob ;) Oh and BTW Gorgeous Phantom :)

Cheers Rob.

I find a lot of the time when looking at pictures you always see different shades so you're definitely right there, so hopefully it will end up a nearer match when grubby!

Again thanks for the advice.

Jer

Just discovered this WiP. How did I ever miss it? Fantastic work with all that lovely aftermarket.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Tom!

Thanks to everyone thus far for your compliments and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Got a Buccaneer 1/48 lined up to do next so I'll be looking for more advice as i've never built one before!

Forgot to say last night, I got off a chap's Jag build on the IPMS Swindon website the colour technique for the gun muzzle fairings.

I sprayed alclad steel first then covered in a mixture of clear red and clear smoke (tamiya's) don't recall the mixture quantities, more of a "looks ok to me" quantity !

Cheers

Jer

Hi Simon,

I was planning on putting the PHIMAT on the outer pylon on the starboard under wing and the ACMI pod on the outer pylon on the port under wing. I have seen photos of them in these positions separately but was under the impression both together on the same plane was ok. Would I be correct in thinking this?

Are you getting your ACMI and ECM pods muddled up there Jer? Looking at your photos it looks to me like you've got an ECM pod in the background of one of the shots. The ACMI pod is basically the size of sidewinder (Air Combat Manouvering Instrumentation pod IIRC).

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Are you getting your ACMI and ECM pods muddled up there Jer? Looking at your photos it looks to me like you've got an ECM pod in the background of one of the shots. The ACMI pod is basically the size of sidewinder (Air Combat Manouvering Instrumentation pod IIRC).

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve!

Blimey! I'm losing the plot!! Getting my acronyms mixed up!

This is the ECM I hope ! The ACMI which looks like a long thin missile with no fins won't be fitted!

13724160544_2597b2943b.jpg

PHIMAT is at the bottom of photo, is this correct?

13902542571_1a900ff7e6.jpg

Hopefully I'm singing off the same hymn sheet as you guys now!

Cheers

Jer

I loved building this kit..ended up doing a GR3 snowcat version. Love your build superb!

Hi RMCS , thanks for the compliment. I loved your Snowcat, in fact when looking for info I read your build here plus I saw it on Helmo and other forum's!

Hope mine looks as good as yours!

Edited by jer

Well the latest update is having reattached the replacement nose i assembled the landing gear which was relatively easy. I have dipped in Klear, I performed a bit of post shading using tamiyas clear smoke diluted, then coated in a black wash to highlight the panel lines, then a bit of grubbing up with MIG black smoke and then finally I applied the decals. Decals were appalling due to splitting/crumbling but I managed to repair them.

I have Matt coated most things....

13930586017_d32d551217_c.jpg

13930608579_333923a9a7_c.jpg

13930635880_298b30848b_c.jpg

Finally the end is in sight!

• Like 6

Now that is nice and the colours look bang on she is a stunner. Looks nice and worn in just like I remember them.

I might go and buy this kit. Looks like a peach.

:)

Did you see this post I made recently on Jags. Lots of photos.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960089-jaguars-at-cosford-2013-plus-harrier-and-tornados/

• Like 1

Wow, you've got me both really nervous and exited at the same time about starting mine. I think this thread is gonna play a big part in how I'm going to (attempt to) go about my Jag!

Looking stunning from here. Can't wait to see the end result!

• Like 1

Going by your excellent progress, I am now going to have to buy this kit. Damn.

Your paint job is fantastic.

Tom.

• Like 1

Just got the T.2/T.4, lovely little kit, but a tad miffed at only one drop tank and most of the stores are of no use on UK Jags. I'm waiting for some AM goodies before I attempt to start it though.

Oh, if anyone has a "spare" drop tank :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Now that is nice and the colours look bang on she is a stunner. Looks nice and worn in just like I remember them.

I might go and buy this kit. Looks like a peach.

:)

Did you see this post I made recently on Jags. Lots of photos.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960089-jaguars-at-cosford-2013-plus-harrier-and-tornados/

Hi Rob, missed your post of Jag pictures. Will definitely use them for dressing my Jag as you have some quality photos for reference. Many thanks for that.

Cheers

Jer

• Like 1

Wow, you've got me both really nervous and exited at the same time about starting mine. I think this thread is gonna play a big part in how I'm going to (attempt to) go about my Jag!

Looking stunning from here. Can't wait to see the end result!

Thanks, for the kind remarks, too be honest i made a bit of a meal with this build and also made some mistakes but she did go together pretty well and I'm happy (ish) how she's coming together, so I hope yours goes well.

Jer