Dewoitine D520 Tamiya in italian colors 1/48 with figs

HI all,
here a some pictures of a kit I completed some weeks ago. It's the Tamiya D520, with Regia Aeronautica markings.
On the web one can find several pictures of this plane on the Istres airfield in the south of France, at the time of its transfer to the italians.
On these pictures, the french cockades are overpainted in grey, but the italian fasci are missing, I added them thinking that some months later they would be present. I took the decals from an old Aeromaster sheet.
The cockpit is detailed with an Aires resin kit, the exhausts are from Quickboost. The camp is done with mixes from Gnuze paints, that I found on the web.
The basis of the small diorama is some 'cardboard foam' glued on a photo frame. The ground is done with
isolation foam, covered with wall putty, then sprinkled with earth and small gravel.
The high grass is static grass, glued on diluted white glue, using a 'grassinator', this small gadget can easily be done using an electric fly swatter, the grass stands then upright because of static electricity.
The tree is done with thyme branches from our garden, the leaves are from Mininatur.
I will add an italian pilot from Jaguar, which is currently waiting to be painted.
I hope you will like it,
regards,
Christian.
p1020704.jpg
p1020705.jpg
p1020706.jpg
p1020709.jpg
p1020712.jpg
p1020713.jpg
p1020714.jpg

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f470c93b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

Edited by cger
  • Like 25

It is not only a lovely model, in a very interesting scheme,.....your base actually looks like a bit of Italy too,......fantastic,....I love it!

Cheers

Tony

Very nice indeed! The weathering is very realistic, which is quite difficult to achieve. You mention that you used some Gunze mixes for the camouflage colours, based on something you found on the web. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks to all for your kind comments ! I tried to capture some mediterranean atmosphere in this dio, although I am not satisfied

with the tree, which is supposed to be an olive tree, true olive trees look quite different.

Here are the Gunze paints I used (actually they are not mixes !)

Khaki: H80

Brun foncé: H84

Gris bleu foncé: H305

Bleu ciel: H314.

regards,

Christian.

• Like 1

Great modelling and great groundwork. Thanks for the hint with the "grassinator". I always suspected that the stuff you can buy is made this way; never made the connection to a amateur device like you devised, though.

Hi Hotel Papa,

I never devised the grassinator, I read about it on some scale train forums, a quick Google search for it will give dozens of pages with detailed instructions (even videos) to construct it. It is very easy. I suspect however that it is less powerful than the expensive Grassmaster sold by Noch. But it is very helpful to lay down static grass, when the fibers are a bit long, like above 5mm.

best,

Christian.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Hi all,

I had some time yesterday to take a few more pics of the dio with two Jaguar figs added. I used a simple technique for painting: the base coats for clothes, face and hands are airbrushed with Gunze paints. The highlights and shadows are done with very diluted coats of Prince August acrylics.

P1030169.JPG

P1030173.JPG

P1030175.JPG

P1030176.JPG

I hope you will like it,

best,

Christian.

• Like 4