Hi All l will not be here for the start of the build so Arnold is running the show till l get back ,hope you all have fun see you real soon

Cheer`s Les

• Like 1

Well, the start is nearly there. Just a week to go. I can't wait.

I wish everybody a great build and aspecialy loads of building fun.

Cheers,

Hi guys and galls.

The GB is nearly starting. Just a week before it starts.

Have fun everybody. I know I will!!!

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Hussar decals make a decal sheet with 5 colourful Assembly ships, I've got one but can't choose which one to do.

Regards Toby

Maybee the cat could pick one?! :rofl: Or you can always start a serie build and do all five?! :winkgrin: Just kidding. You can always start choosing during the build.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Woohoo, this one has started (well nearly)! :hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse:

Thought it didn't start until the end of July and was worried about what to do with the month now my F-4 is nearly finished, just made up my mind to what I'll be doing this week. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Woohoo, this one has started (well nearly)! :hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse:

Thought it didn't start until the end of July and was worried about what to do with the month now my F-4 is nearly finished, just made up my mind to what I'll be doing this week. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the GB. I am a little bit currious of what you want to build.

Cheers,

The 1/72 Academy/Eduard kit is said to have some problems with too small cowlings, nacelles and certain turrets.

Are any of you planning on fixing these? If so, how? What is your thinking about the old Revell B-24D kit in 1/72? Will I solve the too-small-engine-cowlings-and-nacelles problem by putting the Revell wings and cowlings on the Academy/Eduard fuselage? (The movable ailerons and flaps of the old Revell kit are not an issue for me, and neither is the imperfect fit of the Revell Wings to the Academy/Eduard fuselage.)

So, this starts on Sunday and I've never done a group build before; are there any things that we are supposed to do before starting the kit such as taking a picture or two showing what we're starting with? And are there any other parameters for this build on scheme or is it any B-24 from anywhere anytime? Sorry for the dumb questions but, like I said it's my first one and I'm just trying to get everything straight. My workbench is going to be a little crowded with a 1/48 B-24, a 1/32 Bf109 for the BOB group build, my Pocher Mercedes and two Pocher Alfa Monzas underway all at the same time. So, I need to keep things straight and each project together so I can move from one to another without driving myself crazy.

Thanks

The 1/72 Academy/Eduard kit is said to have some problems with too small cowlings, nacelles and certain turrets.

Are any of you planning on fixing these? If so, how? What is your thinking about the old Revell B-24D kit in 1/72? Will I solve the too-small-engine-cowlings-and-nacelles problem by putting the Revell wings and cowlings on the Academy/Eduard fuselage? (The movable ailerons and flaps of the old Revell kit are not an issue for me, and neither is the imperfect fit of the Revell Wings to the Academy/Eduard fuselage.)

Hi Tom, I am not a expert on 1/72 B-24 kits. But maybee there is a correctionset for the Turrets from Squadron.

There is a set for the correction of the cowlings for the academy kit. If I am not mistaken is that the kit also used by Eduard.

Here is a link for the set. http://www.aviationmegastore.com/corrected-b24-liberator-engine-cowls-academy-ac7209-high-planes-models-hpmac7209-engines/product/?shopid=LH35594163bd4fc024859640221d&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=58914

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

So, this starts on Sunday and I've never done a group build before; are there any things that we are supposed to do before starting the kit such as taking a picture or two showing what we're starting with? And are there any other parameters for this build on scheme or is it any B-24 from anywhere anytime? Sorry for the dumb questions but, like I said it's my first one and I'm just trying to get everything straight. My workbench is going to be a little crowded with a 1/48 B-24, a 1/32 Bf109 for the BOB group build, my Pocher Mercedes and two Pocher Alfa Monzas underway all at the same time. So, I need to keep things straight and each project together so I can move from one to another without driving myself crazy.

Thanks

Hi larchiefeng. .

Welcome to the B-24 GB. Nice to see another 1/48 Liberator in this GB

For a few rules take a look here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49565-eligibility-of-models-in-gbs/

This will give you a indication of what is asked. There are some more rules in the Groups build chat.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hey fellas,

Is the original Airfix B-24 (not the reissue) worth building?

Any other kit out there is just a wee bit too steep for my budget right now..

Also, could it be backdated to a D model or is that modelling heresy?!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

• Like 2

Hey fellas,

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Hi Dermot.

Welcome to the GB.

I have to be ohnest that I am not into 1/72 scale. So I have seen the kit 1 time and I don't know anything about the accuracy.

If you want to convert it into a D than that sounds great to me.

Cheers,

• Like 1

OK Guys, in just a few hours this GB is gonna start. I can't wait!!!

get your kits to the ready. I know I will!!!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Dermot, please see roughly the first ten frames of http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66893-new-airfix-b-24-liberator/, and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910095-best-b-24-in-172/

Budget is budget, so if the Airfix kit is what you can manage right now, then maybe you could build it for fun here and help represent the Airfix rendering. A YouTube build of an Airfix B-24 with some "air turbulence" during filming:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTceDzBZdV6XkAng0nnIlQ;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTY4NwRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1tb3ppbGxhLTAwMwRncHJpZANYRnIwU3Q0NFQ4ZVpDbmFnUVRTcERBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwM0BG9yaWdpbgNzZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMzBHBxc3RyA0FpcmZpeCBCLTI0BHBxc3RybAMxMQRxc3RybAMxOARxdWVyeQNhaXJmaXggYi0yNCByZXZpZXcEdF9zdG1wAzE0MzU5NjI4Mzk-?p=airfix+b-24+review&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

Comprehensive Airfix box art for the Liberator: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/109409-airfix-a06010-consolidated-b-24-liberator-b-vi

I woudn't say that changing the Airfix kit to a B-24D would be "heresy", but it could be arduous.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the rules; it doesn't seem to be too much in the way of restrictions. Just start on the day and post WIP in GB thread section. I've been trying to decide which aircraft to build. My dad flew the B-24 early in the war as a transport pilot all over from the USA to Europe down to Africa and to India and China and finally over to Brazil. So, I'm toying with the idea of converting the D model into a transport with a solid nose and cargo door on the rear side. Having said that I have this really cool decal set for Navy B-24 sub hunter that flew off the coast of South America. I think either of them is a bit different than the combat bomber. I'll save that for the J model if I ever build it.

• Like 3

Hey fellas,

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Hi Dermo,remember the original kit was released fifty years ago so it,s a real golden oldie despite the flashy new box and decals but I am very happy

to build a lot of older kit,s for what they are warts and all King Kit have pre owned boxings from £14:99 in one or two of the kit,s previous releases and

noticed a 48 scale one for £23:99 by Revell./monogram which I,m sure Arnold will tell you builds into an impressive kit!

• Like 2

Hi Dermo,remember the original kit was released fifty years ago so it,s a real golden oldie despite the flashy new box and decals but I am very happy

to build a lot of older kit,s for what they are warts and all King Kit have pre owned boxings from £14:99 in one or two of the kit,s previous releases and

noticed a 48 scale one for £23:99 by Revell./monogram which I,m sure Arnold will tell you builds into an impressive kit!

And don't forget that in 1/48 it's big!!! I think that 1/72 is more practical. But if a company wants to do a new one in 1/48 I will be one of the first to buy it (hint,hint Revell)!!!

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

I found out in the past week that a cousin on my mother's side was a waist gunner on B-24s - he served with the 703rd Bomb Squadron/445th BG out of Tibenham.

I think he may have been wounded in combat by flak on his last mission (Berlin?) but survived.

If I can find a suitable kit over the weekend, i'm definitely in for this GB - the Lady Be Good diorama will have to wait until another time!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1