• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Is it to late to join the group build. I have two F-14A, a 1/72 Fujimi and 1/48 Hasegawa. I don't think I would have time to build both. If I started with the 1/72 one I see how it goes.

Ken

• Like 1

Hi

Is it to late to join the group build. I have two F-14A, a 1/72 Fujimi and 1/48 Hasegawa. I don't think I would have time to build both. If I started with the 1/72 one I see how it goes.

Ken

Ken, it's not too late to join ! It's possible to join the group build at any time before the end date. Welcome, looking forward to seeing pictures of your kits being built !

I'm sure you've all seen the announcement that Fightertown Decals is sponsoring this Group Build and will donate 5 decal sheets to be awarded to the best models, 2 for the first and one each for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. This should be a good incentive for anyone to keep building Tomcats ! Fightertown Decals are among the absolute very best around and no Tomcat lover can be without one of their sheets !

Thanks a lot to Brian of Fightertown for this !!!

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Sorry all - another question from me!

When Tomcats switched to the lo-viz all over grey scheme, did they keep the aluminium/natural metal on the leading edges of the wings, tail and elevators?

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

When Tomcats switched to the lo-viz all over grey scheme, did they keep the aluminium/natural metal on the leading edges of the wings, tail and elevators?

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

The answer is... depends !

In general, the aircrafts kept the metal leading edge on the wings but had the leading edges of tails and elevators painted in grey. Different units however seem to have acted in different ways. Guess you're interested in VF-41 since you're doing one of these: VF-41 generally repainted all the leading edges in grey, including the wings. There have been a couple of aircrafts photographed in 1981 with both wings and tails leading edges left in metal but "your" aircraft was one with everything repainted in grey

• Like 2

Well, I just found out about this GB and I think I might join in. I've a 1:48 F-14A (the Revell Black Bunny kit) that I plan to do in a VF-14 Tophatters 80th Anniversary scheme, I got the decal set from Fightertown Decals for it and the F/A-18E (which I also plan to do). Haven't started at all yet, but I'll start up my thread as soon as I can. I tend to build a *lot* slower these days (I now have a 10 month old daughter) but hopefully I can do it in the 2 months that are left.

Thanks...

J.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

As Giorgio said the VF-41 aircraft had the leading edges painted grey, and the colour pictures of these aircraft in the Detail and Scale book on the F-14 shows this with some of the paint wearing off.

Typical that my first post in the forum would be a stupid question but, since I didn't want to miss the opportunity to take part of a Tomcat GB, thats the way it will be. What does "single type" in the GB name mean? Would a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A VF-154 USS Kitty Hawk be eligible for this GB?

Typical that my first post in the forum would be a stupid question but, since I didn't want to miss the opportunity to take part of a Tomcat GB, thats the way it will be. What does "single type" in the GB name mean? Would a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A VF-154 USS Kitty Hawk be eligible for this GB?

Single type just refers to the one type of aircraft, so in this case any F-14! You're welcome to join, the more the merrier!

Some great builds going on, keep up the good work all.

Dave

Quick question, I don't have time to do this project in this GB but looking at the popularity of this mighty jet they'll be a third build along soonish. Would a build based on the balsa F14 be suitable for entry or does it have to be plastic kit based?

Hopefully get another 1:144 started soon to add to the cats in progress

Cheers

Graham

Quick question, I don't have time to do this project in this GB but looking at the popularity of this mighty jet they'll be a third build along soonish. Would a build based on the balsa F14 be suitable for entry or does it have to be plastic kit based?

Hopefully get another 1:144 started soon to add to the cats in progress

Cheers

Graham

Have to say I've never thought about this ! What kind of kit would you be using ?

I've got my second kit finished.

I would have posted photos tonight but my stupid laptop deleted all of the photos I took of this kit and the extra ones I took of my latest f1 car.

Will retake them all tomorrow and post them up.

Rick

A company called Guillows do some balsa and tissue jets. I don't like the tissue finish for a jet but I think you could make a nice wood stained and varnished frame with some aftermarket goodies inside to add interest. The kit though is approx 1/40th ish so would need resizing to do it justice, which is why I don't have time to do it in this build.... However Tomcat or suitable GB in the future and I'll enter it in that..... A 48th Italeri cat turned up today so I may give that a go for this one instead.

http://www.guillow.com/f-14tomcat.aspx

Just wondering - is it accurate to use a D model as a conversion for an earlier B model? (scale 1/72).

I know the major changes were engines, gun vents and nose pod but are any other changes doable in this scale? (and for this average modeller)

I have a Revell D kit and while I like the kit markings, I'd love to finish it as an F-14B, as I've a few nice markings for those, but no B kits.

Oh, and it's one for the future, not this GB!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Just wondering - is it accurate to use a D model as a conversion for an earlier B model? (scale 1/72).

I know the major changes were engines, gun vents and nose pod but are any other changes doable in this scale? (and for this average modeller)

I have a Revell D kit and while I like the kit markings, I'd love to finish it as an F-14B, as I've a few nice markings for those, but no B kits.

Oh, and it's one for the future, not this GB!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

To backdate a D to a B, you'd need to:

Change the double chin pod of the D back to the single pod of the A/B

Change the NACES seats to GRU-7's

Don't add the HUD for the D model

Add the ECM bumps under the wing glove vanes, just to the side of the intakes.

Engines of the B/D are the same -GE-110s.

Not too much really!

Hello, can i still join this one ive just started my 1/72 hasegawa 52109 F-14D Pumpkin face ?

Absolutely ! The STGB will close at the end of June, there's still plenty of time

Dermot, the instrument panels are also different, with the B's being closer to the A, particularly in the front cockpit. The rear cockpit of the B was later modified to become closer to the D

• Like 1