Great to be here again for another Tomcat STGB ! The first one saw a very good selection of models in different scales, I have a feeling that this one could be even better !

Me, I might try and build 2 models for this one: a Fujimi aggressor Cat and a HB VF-41 aircraft, both in 1/72 scale. But I could change my mind between now and the start of the builds...

That's a good one ! :lol:

Actually one of my build should be in those same colours, without the lights and the damage though...

In the last couple of years I have built an F-15, an F-16 and an F-18 for BM groupbuilds. So it's only fair that I complete the set with an F-14.

No plastic model collection is complete without at least one F-14, time to give it a go !!! B)

No plastic model collection is complete without at least one F-14, time to give it a go !!! B)

I'm looking forward to it. The last (only) F-14 I built was when the Airfix kit was first issued. I don't even want to think how long ago that was...

I'm looking forward to it. The last (only) F-14 I built was when the Airfix kit was first issued. I don't even want to think how long ago that was...

Hmmm, Thinking in that same direction. My last one was a Matchbox in the late 70's.

Hi all and had a couple of questions about my build :

1. Where are the reinforcing plates on the tails and how do I remove them?
  2. Anyone know if the Gulf of Sidra Tomcats had the early or later nose sensor set up?
  3. Anyone know (or have an idea) what helmet colour VF-41 sported? I know some squadrons had red or yellow but I'm guessing light grey (or similar)
  4. Drop tanks or not? If not, were the tank pylons fitted or did she fly 'clean' in this area?

Sorry for all the queries and all advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Dermot

(edited because I forgot #4)

Edited by Dermo245

2. Anyone know if the Gulf of Sidra Tomcats had the early or later nose sensor set up?
  3. Anyone know (or have an idea) what helmet colour VF-41 sported? I know some squadrons had red or yellow but I'm guessing light grey (or similar)
  4. Drop tanks or not? If not, were the tank pylons fitted or did she fly 'clean' in this area?

Thanks in advance

Dermot

1) the reinforcement plates are located just above the rudder and a part protrudes below in front of the rudder, you can see them in this picture

http://www.planesofthepast.com/images/tillamook/f14-tomcat-tail-tillamook-air-museum-oregon.jpg

To remove them, you need to sand these flat, while not damaging the surrounding details... however, I checked a couple more pictures and looks like your aircraft actually had the reinforcement plates, so looks like I was initially wrong with this...

2) They had the ALQ-100 pod under the nose, as shown in this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Fast_Eagle_102.JPG

3) I've seen pictures of white helmets with red trims used a year or two before the engagement but also red helmets used around the time VF-41 had the same markings. Not sure what the colours were like on that day

4) Pictures taken during that cruise show aircrafts both with and without tanks, I'll see if I can find any info on what was carried during the engagement

In the article it does not say if the aircraft were carrying tanks or not, and this is from one of the pilots. There is also a photo which shows the reinforcing plates on aircraft 107. There is a photo of 107 which says it is right after the engagement and it is not fitted with fuel tanks, but it does have the tank pylons fitted. Also at the time of the engagement according to the corrosion maintenance people there were no record of crew names painted on the aircraft. I hope this is of some help.

Thanks in advance

Dermot

Larry Muczynski (Fast Eagle 107) wrote a pretty thorough account for the book Debrief: A Complete History of US Aerial Engagements 1981 to the Present, by Craig Brown (highly recommended) - and not even he states whether drop tanks were carried. He does make this interesting statement about his loadout on that mission though:

"I have only one Sidewinder on board. Our starboard AIM-9 station was found to have an electrical problem on deck, so they launched us with only one sidewinder (on station 1A under the left wing). We still have our radar missiles (Sparrows and Phoenix), but they are of no use since the radar died..." p.16 - parentheses are Muczynski's.

That single Sidewinder ended up downing the lead 'Fitter'.

HTH.

• Like 1

Final question - on the all-over grey scheme of the early 80's, were the intake areas white from front to back?

Thanks,

Dermot

From the colour pictures that I have just looked at the front of the intake is grey, but how far that goes back and if it does turn to white I am not sure. I do know that I have made all over grey Tomcats before and painted the back part white starting from the rear of the rear moving ramp, if you understand where I mean.