1:48 Tamiya Dambuster Lancaster

Cheers guys!

I have painted the bottom and side of the aircraft in Nato black, now the paint is cured and I will start preparations for masking the top tonight. Finally it will have a second colour on it which I am quite excited about! More photos to come soon! :)

This is bloody marvelous!

Top job so far :)

I can't get over how massive this is! As soon as I saw those tyres on the matt my brain started upscaling the kit and I was like "holy s**t!"

Also it's lovely to build a model as a tribute, I often say to people when they ask why I spend so long on projects that "I do it for the guy who flew the plain" or " for the chap who fought in the tank", I don't know any of them but each piece is dedicated to them in remembrance. Here's a link to a model I built for just that reason.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952706-148-tamyia-spitfire-mki/

My granddad fought on D-Day and survived Burma (albeit having been shot through both his knees) and I never got to meet him, so my models are as much a tribute to him as they are to every person from that amazing but frightening time.

Best of luck on the build mate, I'm sure you'll do the old lady justice. I'll be following this one very happily.

Ben.

Cheers guys!

I have painted the bottom and side of the aircraft in Nato black, now the paint is cured and I will start preparations for masking the top tonight. Finally it will have a second colour on it which I am quite excited about! More photos to come soon! :)

Thanks for the update! :) Which NATO black did you use and.... how "black" is it? :D I'm always on the lookout for...well.... "black that isn't quite black" :D

Thanks for the update! :) Which NATO black did you use and.... how "black" is it? :D I'm always on the lookout for...well.... "black that isn't quite black" :D

Tamiya XF69. Perfect for the job.

Cheers for the kind words guys! The sheer size of this one has surprised me a bit, although it's fun to do something different. My normal builds are all 1/24 motorsport ones so it's a lot of fun doing something different, especially with the connection to Les Munro being available.

As far as the black goes XF-69 Nato Black is perfect, I put a couple of 'heavier than I would have liked' coats on and it has gone more matte black than the tiny greyish tinge it should have although I am happy enough with the outcome of it. The main thing I wanted to ensure I achieved was a tiny amount of shine, amongst a matte finish like many photos show and I got that so decided to chalk it up as a success. Haha.

justaspitcrazy, I think that I would have ended up shelving this build if it wasn't for the plane being a tribute build, as when I hit hard challenging parts I would have put it away until I was confident in getting past the issues. Having a deadline has made me push on with it to keep progressing with the kit. I do need to start thinking about the display case that is getting made for it as well. RAF badge, and WW2 leather flying helmet have been purchased to sit alongside the kit for a little more 'punch' as a display piece.

justaspitcrazy, I think that I would have ended up shelving this build if it wasn't for the plane being a tribute build, as when I hit hard challenging parts I would have put it away until I was confident in getting past the issues. Having a deadline has made me push on with it to keep progressing with the kit.

That's it right there :D Sometimes, having a fire lit under us is absolutely the best way to get things done :D

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for lack of photos, I have sprayed underneath, laid primer and now the base colour is going on. I was unhappy with the look of the top gunner area and two others so got out the putty and dealt to it. Shall lay paint again tonight and then let it cure. It's coming along now.

10462673_10154436861760624_3973191213878

10488281_10154436861945624_4617937076624

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Base layer is done! Time to lay down my masks and get some more colour onto this one. Wanting a semi-feathered edge, not too hard yet not too 'over sprayed'.

Here is how she stands right now.

10537029_10154447882145624_8991682309276

10364170_10154447882040624_4875911730767

10357191_10154447881900624_8026186213862

• Like 1

Awesome thanks heaps for that! Will grab some of the white stuff. I did some test runs with the masks and some paper. I got a look I am happy with so shall acquire the white blutac and get busy this weekend. I have been working on the other smaller stuff prepping propellors and gun turrets etc. The final push is upon me and I can call it done.

Got some additional motivation this morning. I have purchased a little something to sit with the Lancaster model in my display cabinet...

1022344_zpsa51c21a6.jpg

1022344f_zps01e5dca0.jpg

1022344a_zpsc8fbbb0c.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Pat.

I was lucky enough to visit an airfield in NZ that Mr Munro has a close affiliation with. I emailed a staff member at the airfield asking if Mr Munro would be able to sign a small something to accompany the model and he contacted Les who said no problem. I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting him in person however I shall meet him soon when I take the Lanc up to the signing session.

Were you after a little something to have signed up also? No promises although I could certainly see what I can do for you :)

Got some additional motivation this morning.

1022344_zpsa51c21a6.jpg

Aha, that looks like a C pattern helmet and a G Type mask if I'm not mistaken. The mask looks in good nick, most unusual for a G, they're usually perished badly. It'll look good next to the Lanc - I've done similar things myself with my collection. I've got several helmets of varying types, and many years ago when I flew open cockpit I got myself a 1942 C pattern helmet and an H Type mask to keep the wind off. Here's me preparing for take off:

JabiruMeMask_zps65a17617.jpg

I've often wondered what that helmet went through in the war and what it flew in...

Things like this all add interest to the display, don't they?

Keep it up,

Dean

Nice Helmet :D

Many moons ago when I was a wee nipper, the chap that lived opposite from my mum was a Lanc pilot and he gave me his flying helmet.

After disappearing for a bit it was returned to me last year (not in the best condition), and it is now safe with my Irvine Flying Jacket.

Greta pics

Richard Todd's Underpants!!

You did a brilliant job fixing those nacelles. As Bettie Davis would say, the fit of those power eggs are, "Awful!!"

Thanks for posting. DesmoJen has got one in the pipeline also, i think....

-d-

Cheers for the comments everyone! Love the helmet Deanflyer! :D DavidH - Cheers! There was a little bit of sanding and filling with putty but we got there in the end :) Skids - Awesome experience. I am very much looking forward to meeting Mr Munro in person and hearing a story or two!

Got stuck in yesterday on this one. Was terrified of making a huge stuff up although managed to get a look I am happy enough with. Still need to add a bit of green down the end of the tail. Was all done with Tamiya Spray rattle cans, wasn't game enough to experiment with the airbrush on this one.

Time to let it cure up a little them soldier on with the smaller bits and pieces!

10537175_10154541286120624_4330615643594

1899993_10154541374375624_91857669047018

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 99% complete AJ-W (Willie)! I have the lights, and antennas to add to the kit although shall be adding them the night before the signing as the kit has to travel 700km's by car to get to Mr Munro so shall add them at the last minute. A huge thanks for all the advice and help through the build, I am yet to weather it so it is pretty clean currently although shall get an expert to assist with that after the signing happens.

Hope you like the photos and shall get a finished thread up once the kit is 100% done, next lot of photos shall have a signed plaque and helmet, goggles, and oxygen mask setup included also :)

Enjoy!

Aaron

_MG_3824_zpsd52dfaf8.jpg

_MG_3830_zps8322a042.jpg

_MG_3832_zps26359bbd.jpg

_MG_3849_zps1492ae3a.jpg

_MG_3845_zps91bfed5c.jpg

_MG_3853_zps4568675d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comment. I had my helmet, goggles, and oxygen mask arrive last week. It is amazing and appears to be a complete set not a bunch of pieces bought and combined. Inside the helmet was a set of initials and a family name.

After researching through records, websites, and books all the signs of the initials (CC) and the family name 'CLOTHIER' point to this possibly being owned by Clyde Frederick Adams Clothier of 101 Squadron from RAF Ludford Magna in Lincolnshire. It's a long shot but initial signs indicate this could possibly be the case. 101 squadron had the (at the time) top secret A.B.C (airborne cigar) radio jamming equipment and a German speaking crew member onboard their Lancasters, to send out fake scrambles for the Luftwaffe fighter squadrons and keep them away from the waves of bombers en-route to the targets. It would be awesome if the owner was the person who I found under RAF crew records and I have found a database listing this individual with the initials 'CC' alongside his name. Either way it looks superb in the cabinet with the original copies of the maps and logbooks of the Dambuster raid. I just wanted to add something authentic and meaningful to the model and this is what I came up with.

Thanks to all for following the build. Hoping to get back on the horse with another RAF Hurricane build in 1/48 now :)

Aaron

• 2 months later...

Hello WRCfan, very impressive!

I have the 1/72 Revell model, which I was planning to finish as Les Munro's aircraft, having had him sign the box (I should point out that the box was open and the model started when the opportunity arose!) - could you share where you got your decals from, please? Hopefully they also do 1/72 versions!

Many thanks,

Adrian