KLM DC2 Summer 1936

Adrian Hills

Apart from being a plastic modeller I'm also an early television historian.

In the summer of 1936, probably August, A KLM DC3 took off from Croydon airport with some journalists on board. These chaps were shown a film in the aircraft on a Baird Television T5 receiver (TV) which had been broadcast from Alexandra Palace. The film was from a Gaumont British newsreel of the Queen Mary getting the Blue Riband for crossing the Altlantic in the fastest time earlier that year.

I have video footage of the film but cannot discern which KLM DC2 was used. KLM offices have yet to provide an answer from an enquiry ten years ago.

Modelling this aircraft would be fun. I've already built a Marcel Bloch MB 200 used for television reconnaissance and will put further enquiries about television reconnaissance arcraft such as the Blackburn CA 15 C (need to scratchbuild), an Avro Anson and even a Wellington !

Any help on the DC3 or other TV/AC aircraft would help.

Cheers

A

Adrian

I'm posting this before i forget, but have you asked on IPMS Stockholm?

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se

I've asked questions in English over there and they have always been very helpful.... You''l need to register but it's an interesting site as well, you can always use 'translate'

cheers

T

would of course help if what i knew about airlines could be written on something bigger then a matchbox, and remember that KLM is of course Dutch not Swedish!

But the idea of asking the Dutch IPMS would be the next option....

• 3 years later...

Somewhat a long shot, but you could try contacting Theo Wesselink, who wrote a book on all of KLM's DC-3s (sorry, no DC-2s, but lots of fascinating stuff about KLM's DC-3s and C-47s). It was published in 2016 by Dutch Aviation Publications (www.dutchavia.nl), who should be able to put you in touch.

Looking at the Flight archive, there's an article in the issue for 10th September 1936 which refers to this event, saying it happened "last Friday" which by my reckoning would have been Friday 4th September. I know it's not the aircraft reg but maybe it narrows the search.