WNW/Pheon Sopwith Pup C.312

Hi,

one for you jckspratt1 !

A different take to the Pheon interpretation of the colours, and only first attempts at photographing these large biplane models.

I really, really like this kit (2nd I've done) and it's a pity that the interior (I thought my best efforts so far) is practically hidden by the non-standard small cockpit opening.

Cheers,

GrahamB

WNWPupC312_zps13fd59c0.jpg003_zps64be2a96.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys.

Here's the undersides. I can see a pale colour edge on the lower fuselage longeron on the original photo of C.312 and I've surmised that this could be some repainting, possibly using some spare white/pale grey from the starry night/moon decoration. As I understand as well, the black undersides (upper wing only required) and (partial) topsides were predominantly an anti-glare finish - from the fuselage and wingtip lights as well as the Holt flares when landing - rather than a purely night camouflage.

The WNW Pup is a delight although there are some fit problems easily solved. Some have said it is a beginners kit for rigging but beware there are 20 wires/cables in the rear fuselage/tail assembly - a real birdcage!

Cheers,

GrahamB

P.S. Forgot to say that the upper wing roundels should have a black outer ring - i.e. the standard white ring was over-painted. I didn't want to risk it with masking etc - bit of a fright just doing the inner black ring (also the white over-painted).

WNWPuplower_zps2e6fdb1f.jpg

Edited by GrahamB

Thanks Rowan (and others!)

Your instructions with the decals are excellent (as ever), especially the drawings of the lamps and Holt flares - I managed to wire these up but these can't be seen in the blurry bits of the photos. I had some small hassle with the metal panels in front of the shortened cockpit opening - but used thin brass sheet with suitable small cut-outs for the Vickers - the cocking handle (?) had to be inverted so as to poke through a little cut-out. Added some (spurious?) rivets with punched plastic discs. If anyone is doing this version just make sure you get the cockpit opening far enough back to accommodate the Vickers and the small windscreen.The night sights were just bits of brass wire and thin strip. The ejector chute on the left side of the Vickers is again just thin brass sheet rolled/moulded around a plastic strip (but get join out of sight underneath) - and just flexible enough to take the slight bend/kink.

Black was Vallejo Modelair 71.052 German Grey for the rib-tapes (but beware lifting with the masking tape) with main being Vallejo black primer and 71.052 in about 3:2 ratio. Can't remember what the clear-doped was but was a Humbrol enamel for the rib tapes and a slightly darker Vallejo mix for the main. PC10 in this instance was MrHobby H78 (olive drab 2) with a touch of a buff or light brown for the rib tapes, then main was H78 again but with spot of MrHobby H47 Red Brown and black.

What fun!

Cheers,

GrahamB