Hi all!

First just to say a quick hi to everybody! This is actually my first post and my first model in a really long long time, actually it's my first armour kit.

The model in question is an old issue of a Panzer Ausf. V G 1/48 from Academy, which is a motorized version. Although I am not planning in focussing much on the motor bit. I got this model back when I was a kid so I had to go through undoing a big gluey mess I did back then.

923bfea0-62e0-462b-afe3-24593e7a2ce9_zps

As I am using this model to learn all the techniques back again I would much appreciate comments on how to improve things!

DSC_0475_zpsea1a4fdd.jpg

As you see I cleaned the side objects there were glued to the sides of the hull and have started adding Miliput plaster for the Zimmerit cover. I have made a custom mould for the zimmerit pattern out of plasticard with a scribbler. I have also added some brass mesh to the air intakes at the back to the tank. Here is a detail of the zimmerit pattern:

DSC_0476_zpsf00a7cf0.jpg

And here from the back of the tank:

DSC_0479_zps5bc651ac.jpg

As you see there is still plenty of fitting issues at the back of the hull and also on the front. Here is a detail of the front:

DSC_0477_zpsda22e92d.jpg

Also as you can see I have started adding some plasticard to the sides as I plan to add some scratch-built armour plates to the side.

This is it for now. I plan on keep on adding the zimmerit and give it a light sanding. Also finish adding the armour side plates and modify the upper bit of the turret where the gun joints to give it the proper shape of the Ausf. G. I was also thinking in adding the curled protection plates to the exhaust at the back of the tank.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

All the best,

Alex

Edited by Gaia1984
  • Like 2

Great start mate. Love the zimmeritt

First of all, thanks Crossy!

Here are a quick update on the tank. I have finished off the zimmerit, well at least most of it... Surely there will be some small parts I still have to add a bit more of the plaster.

DSC_0476_resize_zps77f5bfa6.jpg

I am planning to make some battle damage on this side, that's the reason behind leaving that rear part without the plates. It will probably be a damaged hanging side plate in that last position

DSC_0480_resize_zpsa378e75f.jpg

And a frontal view of the zimmerit:

DSC_0479_resize_zps0b46c465.jpg

I have also been working on the lateral armour plates. Here you can see a picture of the detail of the anchoring point I built using plasticard:

DSC_0485_zps841fde65.jpg

And a rear view with the curved plate protecting the exhaust. I tried to curve it by applying a bit of heat and then trying to reshape it, though this didn't prove to be easy. Do you have any suggestion to bend plasticard to give it a curved shape?

DSC_0481_resize_zps6c1ef4b2.jpg

Anyway this is what I managed to do over the weekend. Feeling quite happy on how this is advancing and evolving. I like the way it's looking much better that the original kit out of the box. If you guys have any suggestion / recommendation please feel free to say so! Hope you like it!

Best regards,

Alex

• Like 1

Zimmerit is looking nice - you're braver than me for attempting it at this scale. One observation - the hull looks more like an Ausf.A rather than a G, despite what it says on the box. And I'm not sure if Panthers had the curved plates to protect the exhaust?

A suggestion - if you've got a drill bit small enough (and a pin vice), drilling out the exhausts will make them look more realistic, but you'd need to be careful not to go too deep and drill a hole right through at this scale.

Hi tonyG!

First thanks for the comments!

I was actually drilling the exhaust hole literally 5 mins before I read your message! :D I know what you mean about the hulk... I was also a bit confused about it as the Ausf. G seems to have that modified vent at the back and also a modified turret although the Ausf. G was pretty much advance Ausf. A.

I am quite sure they had installed the curved plates to protect the exhaust in Ausf. G although I haven't researched the Ausf. A model... Working on the turret at the moment.

Any recommendation to make scratched-built handles? :S

It's coming along nicely, I'd agree with Tony, about the hull being an Ausf A and not a G.

As for the exhausts, if I remember rightly the A had 3 to the left and 1 to the right, held on with brackets, there was no curved heat shield, these only came out on the G...I think? :S

For me, I use various grades of wire for handles, pending scale and where on the vehicle, hope this helps? ;)

Edited by Mr Grumpylee

Its definitely an Ausf A hull. The G version had a single piece side without the overhanging part at the rear.

And as Lee said, later versions did away with the 3 branch left side exhaust.

If you want to make the flame dampers, I'd use lead or brass sheet. It's easier to bend into a curve.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi guys!

Yes I have been looking at some pics of the Ausf. A and you are right maybe the guys from Academy got messed up using a Korean keyboard and what they wanted to write was A instead of G! :D

I have been working the past days on the turret detailing. I have added the hooks on the top made out of cut cables, also I have made from scratch the rail for the machine gun on the top of the commander's cupola as the original didn't fit at all. The handle on the cupola is also made from styrene. You will notice I have remove a "block" of plastic from the original model, this was supposed to be that flat hook Ausf. A has but Academy just put a block of plastic there and it was going to be more complicated to cut through it and shape it than to build it from scratch.

I am not sure if you can appreciate it in the picture but I have drilled the cupola's observation points (right under the machine gun rail). These were also solid pieces of plastic and they were a pain to drill and shape seriously... also drilled the observation points in the frontal low profile hatch more fun there! Also did the welding lines parallel to the edges of the turrets. I want to add some welding details further ahead in places such as the flat hook on the top.

Regarding the modified turret cover, I know that the Ausf. G had this type of modification but not so sure about the Ausf. A Any comment on this would be much appreciated!

Here are some pics! Hope you enjoy them!

IMG_7690_zps68c3f856.jpg

IMG_7687_zps43bd228f.jpg

IMG_7689_zps87cbcd46.jpg

That's looking good. tried the zimmerit on my first tank a couple of weeks ago so I know how difficult it can be. I like the extra armour going on. Look forward to see it on going and the finished item.

Hi all!

Just a quick update. I have been working last days on the top of the hull. Had to removed the frontal blocks of plastic as I did with the one on the top of the turret and replace them for some pieces I did with styrene.

IMG_7698_zps7d3397e5.jpg

You can see it in the pic but I actually added a clear plastic piece on the top of the black styrene based on some walk-pictures. These are what I assume to be the front lights? This is what I mean:

DSC_0394_zps5eff89d1.jpg

I have also been drilling the upper hull to make the bolts. I would like to had made these with a punch and die.... but don't have the tool nor can I afford it at the moment so hey! what can be done? Also had to remove the circular piece under the cannon bracket as it was far too small for the original dimensions:

IMG_7702_zps5705f3d8.jpg

I have also made the locks of the frontal hatches out of styrene. Here is a detail of one of the pieces assembled and other just in pieces:

IMG_7692_zpsbde0cf60.jpg

I am now focussing the detailing at the back of the tank. I plan to do some lids for the storage compartments at the back and customise the exhaust. The Ausf. A apparently has some hatches at the back but not sure if these would show up under the zimmerit. Here is a pic of the back at its current stage:

IMG_7708_zpsf9471ad0.jpg

Also was wondering. This kit has quite crappy tracks. They are basically just a couple of rubber bands.... :_( I was thinking in building the tracks my self out of styrene as I couldn't find any after market 1/48 tracks for the Panther. Have any of you guys done this before? I can imagine it must be EXTREMELY time consuming also couldn't find any instructions of any other kit of how the pieces should be for assembly. If you could help me with this I would much appreciate!

All the best ,

Alex

P.S. It was like the holy hand granade from the Monty Pythons ! Totally an halo! xD

Hi everyone just a quick Sunday update on the Panther Ausf. A:

Keep on working on the detailing. I have added the support lines for all the equipment attached to the side of the tank. The original pieces were a bit too rough so I just removed all the tools and I am planning to fix them later on and work on the over straps.

Also added the lids for the storage boxes at the back of tank and some handles for the hatches

Still thinking on what to do with the tracks... so if you have any idea please let me know! It would be much appreciated!

Also thinking if I should build the front hatch by the machine gun.... We'll see

Here are some pics of the tank, hope you enjoy them!

IMG_7732_zpsa4f3d462.jpg

IMG_7734_zpsf3f97a3b.jpg

IMG_7735_zps1fd74c94.jpg

IMG_7736_zpsd1cd0bfe.jpg

IMG_7737_zps341654b4.jpg

IMG_7739_zpscaef9b2a.jpg

All the best,

Alex

Hi all,

Here is an update on the panther.

After doing a bit more research decided to remove the cover on the top of the turret as apparently that modification was only present after the Ausf. G. I have added more details to the side: the holdings for the track links at the back, some brass mesh on the top of the air intakes and made some track links out of styrene.

The tow cable was made using three strings of soldering wire twisted together. The rubber cap was made with a normal cable, I made the hook shape and superglued together, after gluing cut it to give it a flat surface to sit on.

The tool straps are made out of masking tape and the sledgehammer was made with some styrene rod and styrene card glued together.

Hope you enjoy it also if you have any comments please feel free to go for it! ;)

IMG_7748_zps463c1af8.jpg

Still have to add some more zimmerit plaster to the sides and the top of the turret

IMG_7749_zpsa08aca78.jpg

IMG_7750_zps87235205.jpg

Detail of the track link holders. This was made using styrene sheets with different thickness. Also the track links at the side of the turret. Still have to drill the holes in the erect parts but just waiting to get some drill bits to do it. I know these ones don't look very right at the moment but I think after painting I can get a much more realistic effect on them. Also thinking in adding welding marks to the tracks holders.

IMG_7766_zps594224bf.jpg

I think this project is coming slowly to an end and be ready for painting, still have to do some bits and bobs on the back of the hull and the turret. I am wondering now to make the antenna, do you have any suggestion on this? is it just using an old stretched sprue?

All the best,

Alex

P.S.

Also a near future project did just come this week! :D

IMG_7768_zpsa5de3c72.jpg

Edited by Gaia1984

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. I have been working on some battle damage on the zimmerit. I have also added the holdings of the track links at the turret and on the side of the hull. Still have to add some welding marks on these. I have also prepare two alternatives to the damaged side skirts, what do you think looks more realistic? Was thinking in a bazooka like impact but couldn't find many pics of bazooka impact on the internet.

Hope you like it!

New_3_zps34bf08b1.jpg

Looking good - but don't zimmerit the top of the turret or the flat deck, it was never applied there afaik. I do like the battle damage.

Yeah I like that, battle damage looks great.

Lee :)

Thanks Lee! Will look to do some more on the side skirts! ;)

Looks very very nice!

Thanks MrBurns!

Looking good - but don't zimmerit the top of the turret or the flat deck, it was never applied there afaik. I do like the battle damage.

Thanks Tony! I didn't want to zimmerit the top, just the little bit that was covered by the modification I made for the turret and the side of the curved bit of the turret and also the kruggle machine gun at the front of the hull. Can't wait to start painting it! Also been thinking of an idea for a diorama with it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks 100% better than what you started with!

Zimmerit is pretty good and really adds something to the overall look.

You're going to see a whole quantum leap of quality with that new Academy kit, it's quite a new tooling - isn't it?

Matt

Also was wondering. This kit has quite crappy tracks. They are basically just a couple of rubber bands.... :_( I was thinking in building the tracks my self out of styrene as I couldn't find any after market 1/48 tracks for the Panther. Have any of you guys done this before? I can imagine it must be EXTREMELY time consuming also couldn't find any instructions of any other kit of how the pieces should be for assembly. If you could help me with this I would much appreciate!

They exist, but I don't think you'll like the answer, Fruil, http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/metal-tracks-m5/metal-tracks-1-48-p5.7/

do early and late, but are 27 euro a set. But they are the business apparently, cast in white metal and containing 210 links....

And, there are these, but late Panther - http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/ww2prod/ww2prod48004.htm

There maybe somehting made for the old Bandai/Fuman kits as well.

Alternately, get some for a Tamiya Panther, Hobbyco are the UK importer, and you can buy Tamiya spares, unfortunately, also expensive, like £8 a sprue and post, and I think the Panther kit has two sprues [kit not to hand] Oh, PMMS has sprue shots

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/tamiya/tam32520a.htm

tam32520a.jpg

Which would at least give you some decent wheels as well.

If you really wanted to push you skills, get a kit, and make resin copies of the Tamiya track.... and also have a another kit, or get the Jagdpanther..

Or....see if some track from some other kit might work ie small 1/35th kit......

the 1/48th Armour forum is here - http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/

site - http://www.track48.com/shop/home.php

All these are going to cost a load to do realistically...give you have added the armour side plates, and that the drive wheel sprocket are non existent... I suggest a diorama base and some thick mud, to cover a multitude of sins... :whistle:

I've never read anything about the Academy Panther on Track 48, so I suspect that it may have some shape errors to allow motorisation, but that's is just supposition.

Great scratchbuilding work too.

HTH

PS - searched Track 48

http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1257327272/Aoshima+1-48th+Panther+G--+may+be+its+a+Ausf+A-

• 4 years later...

Hi everybody,

It has been a long long time since I have post anything in this thread or in the other I have opened. It is amazing how quickly time flies! Most of my models have been sitting on boxes waiting for me to sit down with them and finish them off. A lot has passed since my last post but I am coming back to the hobby and I am trying to invest some time in the models I have already started before beginning new project.

Anyhow, hands to businessm! I have been preshading the Panther tank, using primarily Vallejo model air paints. I would like to try the B&W technique as described by Jose Luis Lopez. I will add a few more shadows to the darker regions. I also need to add the armour skirts to the tank and the machine gun to the commander's cupola. I was thinking of using the stripped tricolour pattern for this model.

I don't seem able to use Google Photos with the "Insert other media" button so I will just copy the links ;) if you have any suggestion on how to post pictures stored in Google Photo please let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d9Luq9aK37nQn7kH6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RCXXnNT6j3huXFoEA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yexQBGW4Qmr3E16v5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gVQAJeLcWmCuHrm6

All the best,

Alex