G-ANSM serials letters in 72nd scale for my Tiger Moth

geedubelyer

Hi folks,

I just asked this over in the "interwar" area but realised I might get help here too.

I'm hoping to replicate Tiger Moth, G-ANSM in 1/72nd scale and need a source for suitable code letters please.

Can anyone point me in the direction of decals or paint masks?

Your help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Guy

Realistically you are going to have to make your own. It's not hard, just a bit time-consuming. Just get some suitable square-on photography of the fuselage registration, one character centred in your lens at a time, then trace each letter in something like Corel, and laser print them in black on clear decal sheet stock.

Blow up the X-height to the correct measurement for the wing registration letters and you will be near enough.

Long time since I used to fly 'SM and all my pics of her are from the pre digital photography era, alas, or I'd put them up here.

Edited by Work In Progress

John Adams (John Aero here) of Aeroclub may be able to help!! Worth a try. Meanwhile, I'll have a look to see if I have those letters to spare. I always make sure I have lots of generic decals to hand!!

From studying photos I can tell you the fuselage reg in 1/72 scale should be 20.9mm x 4.4mm, for the wing reg size the wing letters appear to be 75% of the chord ( think the chord might be in the region of 18.5mm) so that would make the letters 13.9mm.

You sure 20.9 mm height Cheshire! Thats deeper than the kit fuselage!!!

Ah, I wasnt too clear on that, thanks for checking Paul, what I meant was the whole reg is 20.9mm from G to M and the height of the letters is 4.4mm

Thanks for all the help, some super suggestions there. Paul, I think I'll approach John Adams to see if he has anything suitable in the first instance then, if not, attempt some home made versions.

Thanks for the size guides Cheshiretaurus they'll come in very useful if I have to make my own. :thumbsup:

WIP, great to hear from someone who flew her. I got a few minutes on the stick and it was wonderful so I can only imagine how cool it must be to be able to fly a Moth on a regular basis. If I was that bloke who won £108,000,000 I'd have one in my hangar. :winkgrin:

If you ever figure out how to translate prints into data I'd like to see your images.

Cheers folks,

Guy

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi gang,

I dropped John Aero a line but I'm guessing he's busy as I have n't heard anything from him.

I suspect I am going to have to go the home-made route.

With that in mind (and to save me having to make a special trip with my camera to take photos of the actual aircraft serials) does anyone know what font is used for G-ANSM please?

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000291197.html

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Guy

Failing that. How about Letraset rub down lettering and coat in Kleer or similar?

• Like 1

Hi gang,

I dropped John Aero a line but I'm guessing he's busy as I have n't heard anything from him.

I suspect I am going to have to go the home-made route.

With that in mind (and to save me having to make a special trip with my camera to take photos of the actual aircraft serials) does anyone know what font is used for G-ANSM please?

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000291197.html

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Guy

It doesn't use any font. It's not typography of any sort. It's just signwritten lettering. Man with paint brush marks out some pencil lines and string and starts painting.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

This mention of sign writers brought back a memory from an art lesson at school, over 30 years ago, I was probably abound 10 or 11. I remember being shown how to create letters by starting with a grid for guidance, I think we used a 3x5 grid.

I noticed most letters (except A & M) on this aircraft had a ratio 1.5 so I made a grid of the same proportions of 8x12 to see if it would fit.

It fitted reasonably well within the accuracy and distortion of a photo. you could use this a grid to draw the letters out then scan them in before scaling and printing

The A would probably fit a 9x12 grid and the M seems to fit a 10x12 grid.

A picture always helps

13523841903_9a2dc055a9_o.jpg

Hopefully this might help

Mark

• Like 2

Excellent stuff. Many thanks for all of the help folks. It certainly explains why I can't find anything similar in word or such like.

Mark, I appreciate you taking the time to illustrate that technique. I think you nailed it.

Right, I'm off to try my hand in a bit of drawing software..... ^_^

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks and a huge thumbs-up to Mark (Cheshiretaurus) for the artwork above.

Using Mark's high-res file I was able to copy the lettering onto some water-slide decal paper and print off a set of serials for my Tiggie. A bit of jiggling in word got the size about right (good enough for me at least).

Here's how she looks in the afternoon springtime sunshine.

tn_AirfixTigerMoth004a_zpse6087325.jpg

I took another couple of photos so I'll add them to a quick RFI thread.

Thanks again Mark and everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1