Tamiya 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw190 A-3 ++Finished++

Time for a little distraction from ship building. I don't think this build will be as demanding as the Bf109. The kit was £9.99 from HK via ebay and it looks very clean on the sprues. I've given them a wash and that's it!

IMG_4455_zps9a6995e5.jpg

This kit comes with two paint schemes, one of which is Hans 'Assi' Hahn's which will tie in nicely with my Bf109!

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 3

First Step, ignore the instructions.

Prep all the bits that stick on or in the fuselage.

IMG_4457_zps298a4853.jpg

Prime it all.

IMG_4460_zpsd2a7c31a.jpg

Tamiya Fine Surface Primer rattle can. Very quick.

IMG_4462_zps78b85a7e.jpg

Brush paint the engine and fan. You won't be able to see it. I might dry brush the engine with shiney incase the viewer has a torch.

I pinched an idea from the net involving wood and masking tape.

Next I will airbrush this lot RLM 66 aka revell aqua dust grey 77.

• Like 4

Good idea for a spray plate! Just a word of caution - all the undercarriage parts should be RLM02(a light greeny grey), only the cockpit area is RLM66.

I suspected as much! So that's the wheel wells, struts as well?

I guess RLM 76 on the outside of the covers, but what about the inside of the covers? rlm 02?

Sorry, yeah, wheel wells, oleo legs, retraction arms (apart from the thicker diameter 'inner arm'which should be a red brown colour as it was a cover), inner gear doors, tail wheel strut and inside the tail wheel bay should all be RLM 02. The outer gear door cover colour will be RLM 76 as you've mentioned. The inner lip and inside the cowling can also be painted RLM 02.

Wheel hubs should be a satin black and I personally like to use RLM 66 for the tyres as it looks better for rubber than a flat black IMO. You can try mixing a bit of brown with a black or very dark grey to get your own tyre mix. Same detail for the tail wheel, satin black hub and 'tyre black' of your choice.

• Like 2

IMG_4492_zps8c7415f8.jpg

Not much to report, yesterday a bit of RLM 02 went on. Tonight I shall be base coating the cockpit.

• Like 3

So I bought a new toy today, a magnifying visor and this I what I did with it -

IMG_4496_zps0d43f4d4.jpg

For size reference, the eye of a needle and the end of my 000 brush.

IMG_4501_zps0da07d7a.jpg

IMG_4504_zps3820d805.jpg

IMG_4508_zps867af08f.jpg

thanks for the kind comments!

• Like 3

Thanks for the interest and nice comments.

So, onwards with the build. Test fitting, more test fitting and finally a load and glue and clothes pegs. Note the extra sprue bit to ensure a good fit with the wing roots.

IMG_4516_zpsa76b759b.jpg

IMG_4518_zpsb9c26f73.jpg

And a bit of a shim needed. All sanded ready for the main assembly tomorrow (possibly).

I have to say that apart from the dodgy painting guide, this kit is a dream to put together.

• Like 2