Panzer III.N

Very, very nice!

I fnished mine, she's the Pz III L DAK in Ready for Inspection.

Those colors I gave you really weathered well and look the part if I do say so myself.

:evil_laugh:

G

Edited by AgentG

Thanks for the comments chaps,

A smidge of progress made today...

A coat of Vallejo Black primer applied. This took a bit of time to put down due to all the nooks and crannies on the kit and around the stowage. I added a few drops of Windsor & Newton Flow Enhancer to the paint and its the best I've had it spray. No drying at the tip and the finish is lovely and smooth. Will be doing this again! :winkgrin:

001_zps89e6523d.jpg

002_zps65a28473.jpg

003_zps90959d8f.jpg

I've noticed in the pics a few areas where the paint has missed. I'll have a go at them later with a fine brush.

More to follow soon

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Many thanks for the comments gents :bye:

Started to lay some paint on yesterday and today.

The wheels were sprayed in tamiya Rubber Black, and then backs and the insides of the wheels were painted in Tamiya Red Brown. I did have some Eduard vinyl wheel masks. BUT after spending the sum total of 30 seconds trying to mask a tyre, I thought sod it... and used a circle template. Any overspray on the wheels was then touched in with a fine brush.

DSC_0006_zps540c4936.jpg

The Red brown was also sprayed over the entire model as I reckoned that a b;ack undercoat might be a bit harsh for a sandy brown top coat.

DSC_0001_zps411f3dcb.jpg

DSC_0002_zps29c75585.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsf76528e8.jpg

DSC_0003_zps5188bf0d.jpg

Got one of these in the post yesterday that has really helped with the painting process.

DSC_0005_zps6171ec54.jpg

A top coat RAL 7008 then went on. This is a mix that was very kindly provided by AgentG that was made up from 3 parts Tamiya XF49 Khaki to 1 part XF62 Olive Drab. A touch of XF57 Buff was then added. I think I stuffed it up a bit, but I like the way it looks :shrug: Over this more XF57 Buff was misted on to lighten it up a bit.

DSC_0007_zpsf24e0dc8.jpg

DSC_0008_zps7c9b517d.jpg

DSC_0009_zps53c5ac7f.jpg

That was yesterdays efforts. Now onto todays!

A bit more XF57 was misted on to lighten the colour a bit more and then some heavily thinned XF52 Dark Earth was misted onto the lower hull and where the running gear sits to add a bit of variation and shadow.

003_zps8b412b7f.jpg

I also added the running gear to one side to see how it looks :D

001_zpsbaec9548.jpg

And one with the lid on.

002_zps492b3a6a.jpg

Once this had dried I started to paint the various items of stowage on the back. This was done with Vallejo paints in various shades of brown, yellow and a bit of green. I started from the bottom up. this gave me an excuse to use some Sable brushes I got at the Huddersfield Show earlier this year. Why I've been piddling ablut with cheap brushes for years I'll never know! Sable is by far the best one I've ever used!!! :blink2:

004_zps8f346f7e.jpg

007_zps4685b936.jpg

I'm going to leave the oil drum in the red brown as I think its looks rather spiffing!

Still plenty left to do.

Regards,

Steve

STUNNING!

There is no such thing as "stuffed up" when painting armor.

Use the SWAG method measured with the LAR scale and you'll succeed every time.

SWAG: Scientific Wild Ass Guess

LAR: Looks About Right

:goodjob:

G

• Like 2

Thanks chaps.

STUNNING!

There is no such thing as "stuffed up" when painting armor.

Use the SWAG method measured with the LAR scale and you'll succeed every time.

SWAG: Scientific Wild Ass Guess

LAR: Looks About Right

:goodjob:

G

G,

Like that formula for paint mixing!

Regards

Steve

Cheers Crossy.

Bit more done on the stowage today. Paints used are Lifecolor and Vallejo.

001_zps68a56a3e.jpg

002_zps9df2db48.jpg

003_zps0a9f83c2.jpg

004_zpscece3df5.jpg

Lots of fiddling with the brush going on, but I'm rather enjoying it. Only doing an hour or so at a time on this stage so as not to cock it up! :banghead:

Regards,

Steve

Coming along nicely.

Remember, at this stage washes are your friend. Block in the base color, lightly drybrush the highlights then add a darker wash to bring out detail and define edges.

G

Thanks G

Yes, thats the plan once the details are painted. Will add the wash once ive glossed her up for decals and weathering, as i can then wipe away any mistakes!

Regards

Steve

I wish I could wipe away mistakes as easily!

G

You and me both mate!! :whistle:

Have finished of painting the stowage and other bits and have glossed up ready for decals and weathering.

005_zps207cce1a.jpg

004_zps88e96e1a.jpg

Will leave the gloss coat to harden up for a day or two, then will begin the weathering and washes etc.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Very nice!

Cannot wait for more.

G

Cheers G.

Wait no longer!

Detail painting done and washes applied. The washes are a mix of Games Workshop and Vallejo.

DSC_0013_zps0317b96c.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsd924d2d8.jpg

DSC_0011_zps3cffb693.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsdec2f690.jpg

DSC_0010_zps8dedfc38.jpg

DSC_0009_zps644b7864.jpg

I have to say i'm rather happy at how the wooden handles have come out on the cleaning rods B)

Next job will be to apply the decals and then i may lighten the colour up a bit with some heavily thinned buff. I've also got some Humbrol sand wash that I'm going to try.

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

This is looking very good.

Can't believe all that stowage was painted in situ! :goodjob:

Kind regards,

Adam

Thanks Adam

I always did enjoy a 'challenge' :huh: First time I did this was on a Sherman build I did a couple of years back and I liked the result.

005-47.jpg

Next time I think I'll have a go at painting 'off situ' as it were and see how that goes.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...

How do chaps,

Been a while since I picked this up to work on.

Decals and weathering are on. The decals still silvered even on top of a couple of coats of Klear and with another coat of Klear on top :shrug:

001_zps4b417a69.jpg

002_zpsbf2218aa.jpg

Started work on muddying up the lower hull a smidge. This was done with thinned Tamiya Earth Texture Paint. The running gear is on and a wash of Humbrol Sand was applied and then most of it was removed with clean thinner. I need a bit more practice with this tho.

003_zpse829305e.jpg

004_zpsdebbf028.jpg

A very thin coat of Vallejo Sand mixed with Dark Earth was then sprayed over the entire model to tone things down and blend it all together.

005_zps476855d1.jpg

Tracks on.

006_zps3a6bb627.jpg

007_zps0b29cb3e.jpg

008_zps4defdf90.jpg

009_zpsdfa128fb.jpg

Raised areas were also given a drybrush of Vallejo Hemp, which sits quite nicely with the top coat.

All that remains now is some matt varnish and then I'm calling it done :)

I might put this in a small vignette with a figure, but i'm not sure as yet.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This looks awesome, I read the whole thread :D The stowage + helmets etc. on the back of the Tank look really good and you've painted it really well, just why can't I create anything s beautiful as this :weep:

Thanks for your comment.

Practice, take your time and practice again! But mpst of all enjoy it. Compared to some of the works of art posted here mine look rather naff! Post up here and you get some great tips and encouragment.

Regards

Steve

This looks awesome, I read the whole thread :D The stowage + helmets etc. on the back of the Tank look really good and you've painted it really well, just why can't I create anything s beautiful as this :weep:

No pain, no gain lad.

Please build and post your work. No one here will offer anything but encouragement and helpful comment. It is a hobby after all.

G