Belgian Hurricane,.....but not what you may be expecting?

Hiya Folks,

Another one from my recent Hurricane modelling `fest', this is the excellent Legato Hurricane Mk.IIc built in the markings of an aircraft operated by the Inter Allied Flight of the Metropolitan Communications Squadron based at RAF Hendon near London. During 1945-46 this aircraft had its RAF roundels replaced by Belgian markings in preparation to joining the Belgian Air Force and although at least two aircraft wore the Belgian coloured spinner, this one doesn`t appear to be one of them but I couldn`t resist adding it,....call it a `what if' which might just have occurred?

72-14p_zpsd407bd76.jpg

72-14q_zpsfe66854b.jpg

72-14qq_zps698dae67.jpg

More to follow!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 20

:popcorn:

Sources:

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIB-C/Hawker%20Hurricane%20LF345.html

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIB-C/Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIB-C%20Frontpage.htm

lf345_dbx_01.jpg

Hawker Hurricane IIc LF345/ZA-P of 516 Sqn/62 OTU, MCS (Metropolitan Communication Sqn.) RAF in early 1946, before being transferred to N° 367 Squadron of N° 169 Wing/Belgian Air Force.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

You beat me to it Homebee, thanks a lot for adding the above info.

I used these and other pics from Daniels excellent website as part of my reference package for the model. Dutchdecal did a sheet which included some Belgian Hurricane`s but they incorrectly assumed that the RAF roundels on LF345 were in Belgian colours, when the Belgian coloured roundels when they were applied were in the style seen on my model, which is a shame as I rather liked the idea of using Belgian coloured C/C1 Type roundels!

Glad you like it Paul,

Cheers

Tony

Cheeres Tony and Homebee. BUT I wasn't entirely wrong in my thoughts though!

No mate, far from it. I wonder why it was incorrectly painted as LF345? Seems a strange thing to do and it threw me too until I looked into things further.

Cheers

Tony

In the pictures the Belgian Hurricanes had underwing serials. Did they have them when in RAF markings too? I can't find any underside views of the aircraft before they were transferred.

Cheers

Glen

In the pictures the Belgian Hurricanes had underwing serials. Did they have them when in RAF markings too? I can't find any underside views of the aircraft before they were transferred.

Cheers

Glen

Hiya Glen,

Yes the Hurricane`s had RAF serials under the wings, both in silver and camouflaged schemes. If you look at the website here there are some great photos including underside views;

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIB-C/Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIB-C%20Frontpage.htm

Just click on the little cameras to see more photos, it is a great little website,

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Thanks Tony. I saw the pictures of the Belgian Hurricanes and wasn't sure if they had applied the serials or they were there on delivery.

Great job on the Hurricane. I love the different schemes you dig out!

Cheers

Glen

Great stuff Tony

Out of interest what happened to the Belgian Hurricanes ?

Cheers Pat

Hiya Pat,

After serving with the Belgian Air Force, one of them LF658, ended up as a gate guard at a barracks in Belgium and was restored to reside in the Brussels Military Museum, but I think that the others were scrapped? There was one in a military engineering school with a 4 bladed prop but I think that this was LF658 too,....which has strangely been repainted as LF345,.....as per Homebee`s post earlier on. The Belgian Wings website here;

Has about as much info as is known,.....plus it is a great website to boot. Click on the camera signs for additional photos,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

• 1 year later...

There is a good article in the current Aeroplane Monthly magazine. (The one with the TFC Gladiator on the cover)It has a detailed account of all the Mk.1 fabric wing 'Hurris' and mentions the late post war ones.