Pegasus 1/72 Vought XF5U-1 Flying Flapjack

Hello fellow Britmodellers,

This is going to be my next project while I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can start painting my P40B project.

It has been sitting in the stash trunk for more than 20 years. Yes the trunk is quite full with mostly vacforms WWI scary things

It is a shame it never flew I think it is a fantastic looking aircraft.

I will start by cleaning up the plentiful flash and finding some info.

kit.jpg

Stephen

• Like 3

I have the Planet 1/48 scale kit of this thing in the stash and will be interested to see how you get on with this one. About time someone did a 1/48 Injection kit of the type. Are you watching Special Hobby?

Martin

I have had this kit in the trunk for 20 years and I didn't know Hasagawa did one.

I'm gonna make a start after the bee catcher has been. I have bees happily bee hiveing away in the front wall of our house

Stephen

Oooooh, interesting. I htink I had the Airmadel vacform kit way back and then saw the Tamiya (?) kit which was way too expensive, so I gave up on the idea. I'll follow your build thread with interest.

Colin

A little more progress on the kit.

I read it took 2 years to get the propellers right and this kit is going to take just as long to finish. I thought Pegasus kits were good.

I have cleaned up most of the parts and have come to realize this is a thick vacform, plenty of sanding and making.

The main wheels I am going to replace, the moulds didn't line up and they were way out of register. Hellcat wheels are close.

I will have to build a cockpit including an ejection seat -- If any one can help with pictures of an early ejection seat I would appreciate it.

Now for the best bit.

I thought I would work on the intakes, but there was a small problem of fit.

fuselage-and-intakes.jpg

Intakes in place with bluetack

fit.jpg

Just a small fit issue, coffee will help.

Stephen

• Like 1

I will have to build a cockpit including an ejection seat -- If any one can help with pictures of an early ejection seat I would appreciate it.

Stephen

I'm pretty sure that, the Vought XF5U information sheet not withstanding, the XF5U did not have an ejection seat. It appears to have had a seat with a bucket for a parachute, narrow sides, and a square rather than rounded top. The headrest was separate from the seat.