Avro Lancaster B.I(F.E.) B.III - 1:72 Airfix

Paul A H

Avro Lancaster B.I(F.E.) B.III

1:72 Airfix

lancasterBIFEBIIIboxtop.jpg

Few aircraft have the ability to capture the imagination and affection of the public, but the Lancaster surely ranks as one of them. The basic design of the Lancaster evolved from the less than successful Avro Manchester. Although the basic design of the aircraft was sound, in service it was significantly undermined by its chronically unreliable and underpowered Rolls Royce Vulture engines. Avros Chief Designer resolved the problem by proposing an improved version with a larger wing and four of the less powerful, but far more reliable, Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

Initially designated the Manchester III, the aircraft was renamed the Lancaster and entered service in 1942, the same year that the Manchester was retired from front line service. Once in service, the Lancaster proved to be an excellent aircraft. The aircrafts vast bomb bay could accommodate any bomb in the RAFs wartime inventory, right up to the 12,000lb blockbuster. Later in the war the aircraft was adapted to carry a range of special weapons, including the innovative Upkeep mine and the huge 22,000lb Grand Slam bomb, both designed by scientist and engineer Barnes Wallis. The B.I (FE) provided in this boxing was a tropicalised version of the bomber intended (but thankfully not required) for Tiger Force operations against Japan in the Far East.

lancasterBIFEBIII_sprue01.jpg

lancasterBIFEBIII_sprue02.jpg

Airfixs new tool Lancaster, already release in B.II and B.III (Special) editions, has been very warmly received by the modelling community. As with the previous version, the kit is presented in a fairly large top-opening box adorned with an attractive image of a Tiger Force Lancaster flying over the ocean. Six sprues of plastic have been crammed into the box, hold a total of 236 parts. Five of the sprues are moulded in grey plastic and the last sprue contains the transparent parts. The kit is nicely moulded, and while Ive seen finer panel lines in my time as a reviewer, the panel lines on the external surfaces of this kit dont stand out as being over done. The overall shape of the model looks good and I haven't heard any complaints of significant shape errors since the original versions of the kit were released.

Construction starts with the interior, which is very well detailed. The roof of the bomb bay and the spars for the wing must be assembled first as the rest of the model builds up around this core structure. The bomb bay itself is very nicely detailed, although youll need to provide your own ordnance or purchase the Bomber Re-Supply Set. Onto this part are added the spars for the wings. The spars form internal bulkheads at their centre, and extend as far as the main landing gear bays in the inner engine nacelles. I understand that the Lancasters intended for Tiger Force had an additional fuel tank fitted in the bomb bay, but nothing appears to be included to cover this alteration.

lancdbcloseup2.jpg

lancdbcloseup1.jpg

The flight deck is comprised of a raised floor, a two-part pilots seat, a folding seat for the flight engineer, a control column and a two-part instrument panel. Forward of the cockpit is the bomb aimers position, for which a nicely moulded bomb sight is included. Aft of the cockpit are the navigators and radio operators stations. Sidewall detail is moulded in place on the inside of the fuselage halves and in my opinion it looks excellent. The fuselage window glazing must be installed at this stage too. I for one dont fancy masking all of these windows, so Im glad that Eduard have released a set of masks for this kit!

lancasterBIFEBIII_sprue03.jpg

lancasterBIFEBIII_sprue04.jpg

lancasterBIFEBIII_sprue05.jpg

Once the fuselage halves have been joined, assembly moves on to the wings. The next few steps in the construction process are either clever or complex depending on your point of view. The two wing spars mentioned above aid with the alignment of the wings and strengthen the structure of the model, but they also form the fore and aft walls of the main landing gear bays. To complete the structures, you need to add the rib and frame details which run parallel to the fuselage. The end result should be a pair of landing gear bays which are superbly detailed as well as nice and strong. The ailerons are moulded in place but the landing flaps are separate assemblies, and very nice they look too. The elevators and rudders are all moulded as separate pieces and so can be posed in a variety of positions if so desired.

The engine nacelles are fairly simple, but the front faces of the radiator intakes are moulded as separate parts. This means that you wont have troublesome seams to clean up, which is always a plus. The struts which connect the landing gear doors to the undercarriage legs are moulded in place. This means that, should you build the kit with the gear down, you should be able to achieve a good, strong fit at the first time of asking. If you wish to build the kit with the gear up, then you just need to cut them off. I really like this approach and I hope it works as well in practice as the instructions suggest. The landing gear legs themselves are well moulded and nicely detailed and the wheels have flat spots moulded in place.

All that remains to do at this stage is to add a few small parts such as the DF loop and elevator actuators, the propellers and the transparent parts. Airfix have suggested that you assemble the turrets last of all, but you could just as easily build them at the outset and set them to one side. The frame lines on the transparent parts are clearly marked.

lancdbsprue6.jpg

lancdbcloseup3.jpg

A choice of two schemes is provided on the decal sheet:
Avro Lancaster B.I (F.E.) TW880, Tiger Force, No. 35 Squadron, RAF Gravely, England, 1945. This aircraft is finished in the attractive black and white scheme illustrated on the box top; and
Avro Lancaster B.III ED989 ;Frederick II', flown by Wing Commander Frederick Campbell Hopcroft, Commanding Officer, No.57 Squadron, RAF Scampton, England, August 1943. This aircraft is finished in the familiar Dark Earth and Dark Green over Night camouflage pattern.
The decal sheet is nicely printed and includes a small selection of stencils, as well as a decal for the instrument panel and a rather handy little map for the navigators table.

lancasterBIFEBIII_decals.jpg

Conclusion

Airfix's Lancaster is nicely detailed, superbly engineered and widely available (in the UK at least). The price is pretty reasonable too. The only grumble concerns the lack of ordnance, which has been debated on this very forum. That aside, this is an excellent kit and Airfix should be commended for putting something a little different on the decal sheet. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

Antoine,

I think that's about it - see below (from Wikipedia).

B.I (FE) In anticipation of the needs of the Tiger Force operations against the Japanese in the Far East (FE), a tropicalized variant was based on late production aircraft. The B I (FE) had modified radio, radar, navaids, and a 400 gal (1,818 L) tank installed in the bomb bay. Most were painted with white upper-surfaces and black undersides with a low demarcation between the colours.

Pete

• Like 1

FE Lancs also had larger intakes and the radiators were also larger. The older Airfix Lanc had radiators too large for standard B.I/IIIs according to one guy I spoke to at a show some years back (he'd worked at Avro), the error stemming from Airfix measuring PA474 which had been built for the far east.

Incidentally, all the Hasegawa Lancasters give the larger intakes as standard spares in ALL of their boxings, along with the bits for Village Inn plus the clear parts and the camera fairing for the GR/ASR3s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what have we got here?

Large intake for B.I (FE) only?

As I understand it the Lancaster B1 (FE) had:-

Larger radiators (as mentioned already)

Larger engine nacelle intakes (for carburettors?)

Larger astrodome

A long thin intake fitted to the starboard fuselage, about halfway along (not sure of purpose)

Lincoln style wheels with treaded tyres (I think)

Plus the other bits mentioned earlier in this thread.

Slightly off topic, as they were not installed on FE Mk's, but the new Airfix Lancaster kit has omited to include a window dispersal chute. Quite a few wartime Lancs had these.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

I love the new Airfix Lancasters, but I'm thinking the release of this kit is a little bit under-whelming.

Well it's five quid cheaper than the Dambuster so if you want a regular Lanc it's the way to go. I suspect the Dambuster and BII will only see the light of day every few years and this kit will be the "standard" issue.

I'd love to see a Tallboy release myself. Perhaps in a few years.....?

Stuart

Well it's five quid cheaper than the Dambuster so if you want a regular Lanc it's the way to go. I suspect the Dambuster and BII will only see the light of day every few years and this kit will be the "standard" issue.

I'd love to see a Tallboy release myself. Perhaps in a few years.....?

Stuart

True enough £5 not to be sniffed at. I'm with you re a Tallboy version and a Grandslam.

True enough £5 not to be sniffed at. I'm with you re a Tallboy version and a Grandslam.

New fuselage so we can have a B.VII with the repositioned martin mid upper turret too please.... Com'on Airfix pretty please....

New fuselage so we can have a B.VII with the repositioned martin mid upper turret too please.... Com'on Airfix pretty please....

And without the fuselage windows. And that's another point with this kit the fuselage windows will need removing for the FE version, not masking.

Edited by chaddy

I'm not sure if I've understood one important point though: does this box contain the FE larger radiators ? I can see only one set of radiators in the sprue shots, are these the large FE style or the standard ones ?

I've just had a look at both of Paul's reviews, and from here both engine sprues looks to be the same.

So I would say that airfix bypassed specific FE parts related to engine nacelle, as maybe the différence is not significant enough in 1/72?

And the 12,000lb H C bomb as well please and, a couple of sprues added to provide a full bomb load instead of having to fork out another £15 on a Bomber re-supply set and, an Avro Manchester as well please and, how about an Avro Lincoln on top of all that......................................................................!!!!!!! :lol:

Allan

• Like 1

And the 12,000lb H C bomb as well please and, a couple of sprues added to provide a full bomb load instead of having to fork out another £15 on a Bomber re-supply set and, an Avro Manchester as well please and, how about an Avro Lincoln on top of all that......................................................................!!!!!!! :lol:

Allan

All very good suggestions but only AFTER they've done the 48th MkI/III and MkII please.

• Like 1

All very good suggestions but only AFTER they've done the 48th MkI/III and MkII please.

:lol::lol:

Nah!! We need a full range of Shackleton variants first (to follow the Lincoln of course!!) AND a new Halifax BIII before we even THINK about 1/48 Lancs!! (nice idea though). I'll buy it of course but, I HATE white finishes so, I'll build as the other kit option.

Allan

• Like 1

I love the new Airfix Lancasters, but I'm thinking the release of this kit is a little bit under-whelming.

I'm inclined to agree - especially as you can build the standard Lanc already by using the "redundant" parts in the Dambuster version. All that was needed really was alternative decals in that kit. Personally, I think this release is a little superfluous for that reason. However, that's just me.You can never have too many Lancs and, it's perfectly understandable that Airfix will want to get as much mileage out of this kit as they can. So, I'll probably buy it anyway!! Won't be doing the white one though!!

Allan

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree - especially as you can build the standard Lanc already by using the "redundant" parts in the Dambuster version. All that was needed really was alternative decals in that kit. Personally, I think this release is a little superfluous for that reason. However, that's just me.You can never have too many Lancs and, it's perfectly understandable that Airfix will want to get as much mileage out of this kit as they can. So, I'll probably buy it anyway!! Won't be doing the white one though!!

Allan

Exactly my sentiments. However, as was pointed out to me it's a fiver cheaper than the Dambuster version, so if you a standard "early" BI/BIII it's a more cost effective proposition.

My main problem with this release is that Airfix have not really made an effort to give what's claimed on the box. By design a BI(FE) is a late version as opposed to the early version that is supplied. The most glaring difference is the inclusion of the fuselage windows. I know that as a modeller I can remedy this (as others have spent hours cutting out windows on older kits), but I fundamentally object to a kit that claims to be something it clearly is not. The box artwork is striking, but even that shows the absence of the windows, so it's not that Airfix aren't aware of the differences.

As discussed in another thread, there appears to be nothing except the decals that relate to the BI(FE). Airfix may just as well have released it as the early BI/BIII it is (and at the price we'd have all said thanks very much) and let the modeller get on with it. Implying that a BI(FE) can be built "out of the box" is misleading.

This is my personal view, and I realise others may have a different take on it. It won't stop me buying this kit, but only because I want the early BI, without the cost of buying another Dambuster. For the FE version I'll wait until they produce the B MkVII ( a long wait I'll wager).

• Like 2

I wonder if there would be enough demand for one of the after market manufacturers (Freightdog?) to produce an update set containing the F.E. mods that Airfix omitted?

Another vote here - I've got the Xtradecal 617 Squadron history sheet which includes a set of marking for a B.VII.

Exactly my sentiments. However, as was pointed out to me it's a fiver cheaper than the Dambuster version, so if you a standard "early" BI/BIII it's a more cost effective proposition.

My main problem with this release is that Airfix have not really made an effort to give what's claimed on the box. By design a BI(FE) is a late version as opposed to the early version that is supplied. The most glaring difference is the inclusion of the fuselage windows. I know that as a modeller I can remedy this (as others have spent hours cutting out windows on older kits), but I fundamentally object to a kit that claims to be something it clearly is not. The box artwork is striking, but even that shows the absence of the windows, so it's not that Airfix aren't aware of the differences.

As discussed in another thread, there appears to be nothing except the decals that relate to the BI(FE). Airfix may just as well have released it as the early BI/BIII it is (and at the price we'd have all said thanks very much) and let the modeller get on with it. Implying that a BI(FE) can be built "out of the box" is misleading.

This is my personal view, and I realise others may have a different take on it. It won't stop me buying this kit, but only because I want the early BI, without the cost of buying another Dambuster. For the FE version I'll wait until they produce the B MkVII ( a long wait I'll wager).

Well, you're right about it being more cost effective using this kit to build a standard BI/BIII. Which is the option I'd build anyway if I bought it. The BI(FE) is not an option that appeals to me - largely because I hate painting white aeroplanes!! :lol: Purists may take issue with the FE Lanc as offered but, I suspect the majority of people who buy the kit won't be bothered one way or the other and will choose this option anyway as it suits them. I have no problem with that. I'd probably do the same. Airfix could probably have included a small sprue of additional parts to build a "correct" FE version but,I suspect that maybe costs or other commercial/financial considerations got in the way?

Allan

Well, you're right about it being more cost effective using this kit to build a standard BI/BIII. Which is the option I'd build anyway if I bought it. The BI(FE) is not an option that appeals to me - largely because I hate painting white aeroplanes!! :lol: Purists may take issue with the FE Lanc as offered but, I suspect the majority of people who buy the kit won't be bothered one way or the other and will choose this option anyway as it suits them. I have no problem with that. I'd probably do the same. Airfix could probably have included a small sprue of additional parts to build a "correct" FE version but,I suspect that maybe costs or other commercial/financial considerations got in the way?

Allan

You're probably right. It's just that I don't understand why they specifically call out the BI(FE) version as if that's what is actually in the box. It's not even as if, for the sake of younger and/or less experienced modellers, they

draw attention to the fact that, for example, the fuselage windows are not appropriate to that particular version. As it stands is like "Here's a kit of a Lancaster BI(FE)"when it's actually not. I can understand Airfix wanting to maximise their sales on this set of moulds, but claiming the FE version is stretching it a bit.

I've had my whinge now, so I'll quit. :shutup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My only concern about the marketing of the kit as a Tiger Force version concerns the windows, as has been stated earlier the box art indicates they should not be present, similarly the paint guide shows them as being absent but in the instructions no mention at all.

In fact the windows are put in situ for both versions, not an issue as such as they can be used to a base on which to fill the apertures, but. I think Airfix should have at least advised the maker to do this in the instructions.

Other smaller detail omissions I can live with.

• 10 months later...

FE Lancs also had larger intakes and the radiators were also larger. The older Airfix Lanc had radiators too large for standard B.I/IIIs according to one guy I spoke to at a show some years back (he'd worked at Avro), the error stemming from Airfix measuring PA474 which had been built for the far east.

Has this been confirmed? Posters following this appear to have ignored the point. If the kit has FE intakes presumably this means that the Dambuster version is incorrect?

I thought that the twin 0.5 tail turret was also intended as standard for FE Lancs, or wss this only on the Mk.VII?