Pioneer Sea Fury T20 in 1/72nd Scale.Finished.

G'day Chums,

Being as I'm getting,rather frustratingly,nowhere with my Prentice at the moment I thought I'd chuck this in as being a little more straightforward and more likely to satisfy my desire to actually complete something for this GB.

y4mCQRWNUG4FqlaY9kpuArwjj9kk9-wgEeYgScaM

This is a fairly basic little boxful with a little flash here and there but nothing too intimidating.Work started by gluing the seats to the cockpit floor and then adding the bulkhead behind the front seat.That's it,cockpit built.

This assembly was then offered into the fuselage which was dryfitted together to see how it was going to look.

y4mVB7L_k3cK0V_WWitsJtasp7xOnBu5zuKCU-6k

It sits rather low on the locating points as moulded.So low in fact that any occupant would find it not unlike looking out of a manhole.Using a bit of blu-tack and a spot of gentle persuasion I got it to sit a little more convincingly.

y4mwx8NML2F51ZoqShQ9yIrfQr5cHeZnH7lbmtJ9

A good eighth of an inch higher than intended I decided to make a decent job of the repositioning.

y4mEpFEG_oJdkIWrg8o3_SBo1AsBAVV9gVzz4g34

The recess that the wing sits in is closed off so a couple of saw cuts and a scored line with a scalpel blade tip had these opened up on both sides to gain access.

y4mU9S4nUDgxRUUGpThRlX2xJZ_J1ccQgEm__oga

A couple of lumps were cut off the newly removed webs to make the seating points for the cockpit floor.While I was in fettling things mood I also made a couple of instrument panelesque shapes and a rear bulkhead from a bit more of the newly removed webs.

y4mlYXyZPRAK9J_KTt4oBaatK9Z5HdEWPJ-_vBMv

A couple of short lengths of thin copper wire were made to look control column like and superglued into a couple of holes drilled through the floor and then there was just enough plastic left over to make up four side consoles which were positioned and then glued.

y4m0ehl7WZTR60KzWcZX4H2KNri4EHGb-NJHBHrT

Once all this is painted black and viewed through quite substantial canopy it really won't be visible at all,but we will all know that it's there won't we.

More soon Chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Hello again Chums,

Max,thanks for the vote of confidence.If you thought that was a good'un then have a look at this.

You remember I had some delusion about a more straightforward build :rofl: .

y4m7QxJpfBK0g1HZw695UHcMgQgKKtDlaJ43s4mi

The cockpit now sits fine.I was looking at the upper wing root joints with a view to my usual fitting method when I realised that either the wing was too thin or there was something not quite as it should be on the fuselage.With the wing halves fitted together there is a step at the joint that no amount of milliput is going to cure and still look convincing.

A quick look at the photos in the Walkaround section (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71759-hawker-sea-fury/) showed me that the wing is indeed thin and that the fuselage would need to be hacked away to match.It also showed me that the area below and behind the exhaust outlet was more angular than the delightfully curved kit rendering and also slightly smaller.

y4mF7ssjMHc8hl86XNU0V3e8ztn5Ypa99We8GnSS

In for a penny...While I'm in this deep I might as well have a go at the wheel wells too.

The shaded areas had to go.

y4mmfxa3bQNucZMCLQjQcVisXkGiGRLHHYPw-0mk

Chop,hack,scrape,repeat.One side done.

y4ml4IyD5IJQ-sZKj285XhisawwfpsJzNlIjuF_K

While I was at it I made all the cutouts for the wheel bays and the cooler inlets.These too will need attention but that's a later job.

y4m86_LpNdwplqFAhyjodLvh0vsL6MzF48JTOl1H

For a bit of light relief I decided to spray a bit of matt black paint at the newly appointed cockpit.

y4mkn30zVf9V4oQfGKMUmDYXDtVzIH10JbawoenL

I was just congratulating myself on a job well done when I made a fatal error.I put the fuselage together and plonked the canopy on just to see what could be seen through four scale inches of perspex into a badly lit manhole.

Every bit.

Every little corner and surface.

Insert your expletive of choice here.

My photography skills don't extend far enough to record this so I can't share it with you unfortunately.

More soon Chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon

Good work do far! Must finish mine sometime......

SOP advice I give out to anyone building any Pioneer Sea Fury is to take a rasp to the trailing edges of the main wing (that goes for the Airfix repop too)

Trevor

G'day Chums,

Trevor,I read that where you'd posted on Merlin's thread.I did take a couple of photos but they were completely unusable only I didn't know until well after I'd completed that job.20 minutes a side it took me to get from a scale 6 inch thickness down to something a little more likely.

A bit more done over the last couple of days.The underwing identification lamps supplied are,like a lot of manufacturers,big lumps with a big sinkhole in each end.

y4mO4TEoaH0PHVl5Q_jK4fRYP_ulRB9Zo6teofrb

My leather punch,rather conveniently,has a cutter very slightly larger than the diameter of the holes in the wing,so I made a couple of circles from some clear sheet left over from my vacforming dalliance.

y4mxwFixJSTJb_xT7UUeAvZPbXMPXuq34bRRxfX7

Photos in the walkaround department show a pair of red and green lamps certainly in one aperture.Assuming the same for both I decided to try to make these too.I started with the clear sprue from another kit.

y4m95gnVFy82HPiDowE3hNuG6wGtwl_PxHXYuNxd

The nice circular bits that are at right angles to the runner were just the right size so I cut off 4 of them and glued them together in pairs.

y4mz6mBrCiUq2hztlOsjplHjesN-uRlatDE81HM1

While this was setting I did a quick paint job inside the wings.On the real thing this looks like Zinc Chromate so no doubts about colour reference on this bit.

y4mvwFluU2SbDJuluF5RbAmJ-dJDVQh-CJgyvaiZ

The lamps were then given a drop of clear red and clear green appropriately and left to dry.

y4m0lsb7YkIaEf-qxCo6PQmSj19wVwWUPKh4biR_

Once dry these were glued in and the upper and lower wing halves glued together.The cockpit got a little more attention.

y4mkcqR05xxLmOlLHDTLMZIzteunSLwO1449Mf2K

I widened the side consoles by adding some flat plastic from a sprue label and made some semblance of knobs and levers from odd ends of punched discs and bits of stretched sprue.The instrument panels were shall we say enhanced with aluminium foil rubbed down over a Revell P51B panel,cut and superglued in place.

While this was setting I boxed in the wheel wells.

y4myEUIcF33e5PYBlAJb8Vw2iJC98DVJxe9e5K8S

While that was setting I went back to the cockpit and gave it the final coat of paint.

y4m6Cadzz83_9r0ktJs-wIaIzwvyWGZuia6K8sL3

This was then assembled and glued and left to set.

The wheel wells in the meantime had set enough to make a start on the oil cooler intake.

y4mA1Riy6equhNTG1pCTT4u3WixGTx2H1LKV9P5M

Quite simply a strip of plastic card bent to shape and pushed into the hole.

y4mjBhGr42iH6Wh5MLIb3qFfc_IDjJQSmlvaYldb

This will set overnight and be fettled in the morning.

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Fantastic work so far from a very poor kit. I built the PM offering of the FB11 many moons ago, it was for a ceiling display in the model department I worked in. I ended up just slinging it together as it was 10 foot up and you couldn't really see how bad it was. :whistle:

Keep slugging away, I'm looking forward to the final result.

Hello again Chums,

Max,Speedman,Trevor,thanks for the encouragement chaps.I'm sure that I've built worse kits than this over the years,nothing is coming to mind at the moment though.I seem to think that Pioneer kits were dirt cheap at the time so I can forgive a lot because of their budgetary constraints.

Anyway,a small update.The canopy almost fits,a little more building up is needed but it will go on properly by the time I've finished with it.

y4mWsE1dhPpyw-x2wyP81_TYJxQvGQGO0vVC92D-

Then the glue smears will need to be removed but it's no big problem.The undercarriage doors are about 3" thick in scale,

y4mJgALnR7SgQ4Gr77r5iOfB_LCGtGWPq-DvIeie

Rather than sand them down it was quicker to cut some new ones from thin plastic card.

y4m5eFwFt9Eg0249q03oNmcRyFOoaOec84IGnQmL

These will be detailed in due course.The wings are now on and setting,stretched sprue has been glued into the gaps as a filler and will be squared up once set.

y4mSJb3oGz0EKS-QNc1eLh-bpIbbflcfo6jBQpUT

The carburettor air intakes will be made at the same time and the remaining smoothing off from my ham fisted butchery will be done.The wheel wells will get a coat of paint then some semblance of plumbing will be added.

y4muW6XspxTCniKULtmzSSqtcqBCNT4fLTLXmgdD

There's not really that much more to do before the main paint job,it's only setting time that is holding the job back.A couple of hours or so tomorrow will see most of the rough stuff done and nearly ready for paint.

Thanks for looking in chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,

Just a quick update.The carb air intakes need boxing in before they are shaped.

y4mFA6-5wYGsMVkb8gc3kZk2on3IseKLpQSq_DAq

Once again a bit of thin card bent to shape is the method of choice.

y4m3Z797ZhH9WpdqiBxPWu1_rREM5KCHde_O0Lch

A spot of light milliputting to fair it all in is next and another step nearer to paint.

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Hello again Chums,

A little more done today.The wheel wells had a drop of Zinc Chromate thrown at them.It looks awfully bright so a spot of toning down will be in order.

y4mjwTbTq9JC-rgKPxxgzBMWE2LZio-y6LF-tDe3

The boxing in had set so out came the milliput to make up the inner leading edges.

y4mPvrz18KaADAVx_SIQvzTz5GvDDODCux94eKCY

This needs sanding to its final shape but I'll let the milliput go off properly first.

y4mFdbz9STCSWkbnN0kMICTa98sWyWYpW-L0fTi-

And I've managed to knock off one of the bits that I was going to attach the exhaust pipes to,but this might be a blessing in disguise.

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Lots of sanding and shaping to do then Alex! It can be rather tedious but when the final result starts to emerge and you give it a final polish, I think it's very rewarding. :)

Max

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Max,you are quite right.

I've had a delusion of enthusiasm today so I thought it a good thing to do a bit.A cutout was made at each end of the fairing over the exhausts.

y4m90fDBLg5mz1rcR7qdInW4cF8uuIFjfFB7HZEB

And then a lump of sprue was glued in.

y4mq_2ET5e0gHgQ7z3cv-WfCmJovK9RxeT0XboGi

This will now dry overnight and be fettled tomorrow.The undercarriage doors had a little attention as well.

y4m0J8egB51ZRo58g-yEAbhBlwJaE2l-xSrr3TXK

It's more a busying up exercise really but it'll look ok under a drop of paint.I'd best get a move on with this,there's only a few days to go to the finish of this GB and I'd like to put something in the gallery.

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon

Hello again Chums,

WIP,glad you're enjoying this too.The thing for me is how far do I go.

A bit more done today.Canopy on,masked and filled at the base of the windscreen with Milliput.A few days ago I pushed a good amount of Matt Black into the gap and let it dry thoroughly so that the milliput would not be visible.

y4mLIuEsIqscCGevJ6BfwtjTEueoV9JL116qOpTT

A little dodgy scribing on the cowling and a new idea for the exhaust covers.I scraped out a recess either side to take an appropriately shaped piece of thin plastic card.

y4mda516mm82DyObY8POnU1TT0AmByzKy1YjbijY

This will allow me to finish the cowling separately from the airframe.

y4mUB2mDFJHOEQo1vaKhOoB76pVb-8_PXhm3L6YZ

It will also look a little more like the photos in the Walkaround.

y4mL8AORB8iW6CdyBi4Um_XjhUl9N3rhgtz0_2mn

Anyway,all seemed well so I thought I'd try a spot of paint.I made a 50 50 mix of Metalcote Polished Aluminium and 147 Light Grey. and sprayed a coat on.I'll see how it dries but a spot of flatting off and smoothing will be needed before the next coat.It's a good experiment.

y4mPLhTASAI6W0ZBWVXr_MSKpZrWcFr0F6OBJx3r

More tomorrow chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Interesting subject, -- I like your documentation of the build - lots of good photos - really gives a sense of what you are doing, in detail. Nice job on this one !

G'day Chums,

NavDoc,glad you're enjoying this and not becoming lost and bewildered by it all.

Just a little done today.The silver painted the other day was a bit too grainy for my liking.

y4miexfFaN8-A2ev4o2SvYo4WroJcB0QY-ry6DqZ

Put together with the kit surface texture I thought it would be a good idea to flat it off and prime instead.Being as the silver was only an experiment this is no great hardship.The other components that were going to need a drop of Matt Black were made ready for paint too,including masking off the yellow propellor blade tips.

y4mv6g-zISUwDVTEjYtbj6VZuE6u2ro7jO-sesER

Nearly there.Almost on the vinegar stroke.

y4miR1DPywFAb_4pNm7HVC3ifRtOiTWaZj93c715

The wingtip lights will need to be made and the instructors periscope will need to be fitted too.I'm sure there will be something else that requires attention but I'll worry about that when I get there.

Thanks for looking in chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon

Hello again Chums,

Adrian,glad you're enjoying this.Thank you for the kind words.

My apologies in advance for some lousy photography.I thought I'd tackle the wingtip lights first.I cut out the relevant shape in each wingtip (no,the panel lines do not define it) and pushed the heated end of a length of clear sprue into each one.

y4mwUl9qpmaS4Fx6XlYcMoXOvnSoDegezEtYgF67

This saves all the messing about filing and shaping the fixing end of the clear bit.I then pulled this off and drilled a small hole in it from the back to represent the bulb.The hole was then filled with the appropriate coloured paint and the lump superglued into place.After a bit of setting time,these things tend to fall off if one doesn't allow this,a good rattling with the sanding stick and then a couple of very fine grades of Micromesh gave me something presentable.

y4mcFEIaxmhHJVT6k-08Ynz7NHR6fJG7R3jBst5n

That done I decided to fill the cannon ports and move them downwards,a little more like the real thing.Stretched sprue and superglue again.

y4m-eaGKSzF4hTOnQioyidTweBCYm_kQhJR_RN4m

That done I thought I'd have a play with the periscope.This is a two part affair that has legs that are barely long enough and definitely cannot be fitted if one wishes to have any hope of removing the canopy masking afterwards.I don't have a plan for this yet but I'll come up with something.

y4mBSNCspNjl_Ts-lQ60g7eWCa3FvyyDvqf37B7Q

So I made sure that everything that should be masked was and then chucked a coat of paint at her.The mixture this time was a 50 50 of Humbrol 147 Matt Light Grey and an age old tin of Humbrol 11 Silver Fox.This tin is so old that the quantity is 1/2 Fl Oz and I don't remember seeing the label as a kid.The finish was a lot less grainy than the last attempt and should look well under a coat of matt varnish.

y4mgz6uyVHzUhXkyeAEi_kQHYQAN0nGZmtxgGFXc

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,

Goggsy,thanks.I must admit that when I started this one I really didn't anticipate this much needed to be done.

A spot of stripy paintwork today.Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow was the paint of choice,sprayed on.

y4m-rcS2uBK6qpKNwKCahZvCbMQd19CxTySDtZDW

This is where I found out that the propellor didn't quite want to go into the spinner without some persuasion.

y4mhs4A0oPqvBRpPssFLiWHYVuRjPVASZe2Wk3cJ

More tomorrow chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon

Hello again Chums,

Yesterday,once the yellow had dried I applied the decals which,while a bit yellowed,went on with no fuss at all apart from the underwing ones which had to be separated into roundel and serial because as supplied there is too big a gap between both components.Once all had dried I gave it a brushed coat of thinned Vallejo Matt Varnish which pulled the finish together nicely.

Well today's the day for unmasking.

y4mIdovSLlidxNVTpOS7GmEr7qn8xtERIH_o7vGf

One badly fogged canopy.It must have happened when I was trying to scrub the overspray out of the wheel wells with a drop of white spirit.Off she had to come.

y4mA9fdlnAwHJuki__3uAwY-PPe-wd8BXM4JDrBE

I filled it with some caustic soda solution,let it soak awhile and then gave it a gentle scrub with a stiff paintbrush.Once washed out with water and dried off I then gave it a coat of Klear and set it the right way up to dry.While that was sorting itself out I set about the periscope.

y4mMCi8CliJfysE7R8Nis7211sLgacEhxlu7gQlU

Some thin plastic rod was butchered to make the new legs and positioned as per a couple of photos.This was then plonked roughly in position on the fuselage to align everything properly before the glue set,having reinstated the canopy first (superglue,milliput,mix paint to match and so on).

y4mXsht35FZHuITiNovsUDqKwPD_nJCWg2flktuj

Once set the legs were then painted and the whole lump attached in position.

y4mkEZZNIdDl-PNtS3CBDn_rhIdWxg5za9tpeuF-

I then turned my attention to the exhausts.Using the same thin plastic rod I taped a length to the cutting mat and then chopped it into slightly overlength tiny weeny little bits.18 of 'em.If I hadn't taped it down I would by now have run out of rod and worn my knees out on the carpet.In the event I shattered two and lost one.These were then,one by one,positioned and glued.Once set for long enough they were gently sanded to a uniform length and painted with light grey paint.Once dry enough this was then rubbed over with some ground up pencil lead to look dark and metallic.While I was at it I wiped over the panels on the fuselage aft of the exhausts.

y4mEQZQE3aoHcTipYrPppV8_utsyXZV2Ji3GF5--

Anyway,I'm calling her finished.

y4meWbdM1x6j93L66wbGH8KkxUfVyNDRasHVRiht

y4m07-m5HJtiK3OyDeSGQg-1GJ_8HQed85slhCzN

y4mgmV5laL8ggnR2-1Oehc7_QmY2KfJuvLsunGgD

y4mihhKSy0MiWwx7cCbC7y-bsgWSg6LtJm4rqZsZ

y4m8Wfe0xT1vvOjJS8UpUNM12dqydMIU78LCYrsl

y4m3iIhkcDqFe6K2MmtDOLMcOtFNTr_L9TIiBSxP

y4mxz_c4uf_eCp2vZzQ6nV8SGzSRdi4ynFZuYoqY

y4mrINjEhfLWTXEp7JNYX313XJ5tBU1V4qoNt0si

Many thanks to all for looking in and encouraging comments.My thanks also to Enzo and Paul for keeping us all in trim and to Mish for organising it all for our delectation.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Photobucket URLs.
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this one - turned out beautifully! Have to say that I admire your calmness and proficiency in the face of modelling adversity - appropriately brings to mind the names of many RN carriers: Indomitable, Implacable, Indefatigable...