First Compressor Help?

Commontsar

Hey

So I'm looking at getting one of these 2. it'll be my first - and I can't afford a decent airbrush straight away either so these will do for priming and large areas haha.

Which one would people recommend? I know they're the same, one with tank - one without. Is it worth the extra money for the tank? I have researched it a bit but would rather find out first hand. I read this review (http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=460&t=35371#p478405) and it seems reasonable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Airbrush-Compressor-Double-Airbrushes/dp/B004XP7K9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395171731&sr=8-1&keywords=AS186

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-KMS-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushes/dp/B0054Q384A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395171642&sr=8-2&keywords=foxhunter+airbrush

Thanks people :)

Edited by Commontsar

I think this one is exactly the same as the AS 186 from Amazon but rather cheaper

www.ebay.co.uk/item/200600974912

Personally the tank will prove invaluable coz it helps prevent pulsing of the airflow that can cause all sorts of problems. I would also recommend a gravity fed double action AB - I can remember going from a suction single action to a double action & the difference was amazing! So much more control, it improved my airbrushing no end. You can find reasonable one's on eBay for £11.

Cheers

Patrick

I'm not too fussed if it doesn't last *forever*. This is more testing the waters but also because I have Amazon vouchers to spare. I can't afford to spend any more right now (until I get a full time job) - but I thought this seemed alright judging by the reviews on forums. I'd buy a better one and will when I can.

So do you think this'll be ok to start with? Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

There isn't much difference in price, so I would go for the one with the tank, more to go wrong, but with chinese units quality is hit and miss anyway.

The way I look at it is that the compressor is the power source and the airbrush is the tool.

All you need from the compressor is a constant smooth air supply at the pressure that you need.

Chinese ones are cheap & great to get you started, but only expect them to last a couple of years.

The airbrush is the more important item, if it's poor quality and/or difficult to use it can put you off airbrushing.

Good quality airbrushes start from about £60.

Paul

Chinese ones are cheap & great to get you started, but only expect them to last a couple of years.

How do they usually go? Wearing piston and then not reaching pressure anymore? Overheating?

My AS 186 (Chinese) has lasted 4 years without any problems. I've taken the exact same Iwata one apart to find ... it's EXACTLY the same! Apart from the £40 extra to buy the Iwata.

As for the airbrush, again my £11 Chinese one is still going strong! If I wanted to spray hotter paints than just enamels & acrylics, I'd think about a dearer one as that's their only advantage IMHO

cheers

Patrick

If I wanted to spray hotter paints than just enamels & acrylics, I'd think about a dearer one as that's their only advantage IMHO

Dunno. I do find that there are quite a few differences in workmanship that affect the spray pattern. Finer honed, pointier needles. Hair-thin lips of nozzles. Good concentricity of the setup. Things like that.

Plus the easy breakdown of my H&S; I really like that.

• Like 1

My AS 186 (Chinese) has lasted 4 years without any problems. I've taken the exact same Iwata one apart to find ... it's EXACTLY the same! Apart from the £40 extra to buy the Iwata.

As for the airbrush, again my £11 Chinese one is still going strong! If I wanted to spray hotter paints than just enamels & acrylics, I'd think about a dearer one as that's their only advantage IMHO

cheers

Patrick

Not sure what you have taken apart, but Iwata don't market a compressor that looks like the 186 in the UK?

Paul

That is the compressor normally tagged the AS18, the 186 has a tank.

As this is appears to be a chinese copy of the sprint jet, so I'm not surprised a lot of the components look the same, no point re-inventing the wheel.

There are loads of companies making them and quality varies, I've even seen some for sale offering only a 3 month warranty!

If you get a good one you are OK, but I've sold sprint jet or little-jet compressors at shows to plenty of people who have had their AS-18 fail fairly quickly.

On the plus side even if they only last a year or so they are cheaper and better than buying cans of air.

And I point people with limited budgets to these for the air source & normally something like the H&S Ultra for the brush.

Paul