Su-25SM "Frogfoot" Information Wanted

John Thompson

I'm thinking about building a 1/72 model of the Su-25SM, probably using the Zvezda Su-25 kit. I'm aware that the Su-25SM is an upgrade to existing Su-25's pulled out of service and refurbished with improved avionics, weapons control systems, etc. These details would (I think) be confined to the cockpit, and therefore not obvious on a model with a closed canopy. So far, the only external difference between the -25 and the -25SM I've found is that the -25SM has only 4 pylons on each wing, versus 5 for the standard Su-25. I've found a couple of walkarounds of the Su-25SM, so I suppose I could work my way through those, comparing the kit parts with the photos; on the other hand, if anyone can offer some guidance, it would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance;

John

Can't help with the specifics.... but here's a couple I photographed at MAKS

MAKS 2011 - note the BBC Russia titles and three-colour stars...... (available on Begemot sheets)

day1_008.JPG

This one at MAKS 2012 has the new 'aubergine' camo......

day1_018.JPG

Ken

• Like 1

But beware of some Su-25SM . They also have racks PD-62-8 rfor missiles R-60 or R-73! Usually but are not because it is to possibility this hinging point to use ECM container MPS-410 Omul. SM version is substantially cheaper variant versions of T and TM. Another difference is used for rebuilding plane Su-25 or Su-25BM version. BM version uses R-195 engines and these have a different shape the cover nozzle engine air intake it is not for electric generator, the rudder.

su25_kubinka_2005_008_zps1c40501d.jpg

Also uses the newer navigation systems so bug antennas will PION the PVD and also cover the braking parachute.

10_su25012_zps050feced.jpg

0563_zpsf3b52782.jpg

Su-25SM from Su-25

100letpart327_zps830ba406.jpg

Su-25SM from Su-25BM

143473_133460708_SU-25SM2-RED14-RUAF-APR

143473_111146239_01-5-4-2012-kubinkaab_z

• Like 1

This thread is timely as I plan to build an early Afghan era 'A' model. Are those camo colours still valid for that time? They look similar to what is given in the Eduard instructions BUT I know they're not always the most accurate....

Sorry for the slight diversion off topic....

Also what's all the piping on the engine on that shot above?

Hi harvy5! Thank you very much for your information and for the images - your posts are very helpful! :thumbsup2:

I'm tempted to model "Red 14", the aircraft shown as a conversion from a Su-25BM - I just have to find the Begemot decal sheet Ken refers to in his post for the "VVS Russia" text on the fin.

Thanks again to both of you!

John

Edited by John Thompson

Thanks again, Ken - I've been pricing them at Linden Hill, too. I might also need the Begemot 1/72 MiG-29 sheet just to get the red numerals - this is becoming a rather expensive project! Maybe I'll buy what I need in stages - first the paint and the titles, then the stars and the MiG-29 sheet. I've got a couple of Italeri "Fulcrums" stored away - I should be able to make proper use of that sheet eventually! :lol:

John