USS Enterprise Refit 1:350 Polar Lights Round 2

Hi everyone.

Here is my attempt at the refit USS Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I have used a flat white base and mixed up Pearl Ex pearlescent interference powder with clear acrylic to airbrush on the detailing. It will not be finished for a very long time but here is the progess so far.

3_zpsdd6dc5a2.jpg

2_zpsccd84c6e.jpg

IMG_2085_zps0dce56ec.jpg

IMG_1773_zps6b79b8e3.jpg

1_zps53f314cf.jpg

P1150989_zps35d8992b.jpg

IMG_2622_zps25609bcc.jpg

IMG_2436_zpsfb9b84e8.jpg

pylon_zps34172646.jpg

Edited by enterprise construction
  • Like 5

Nice............

The lower dish looks amazing.

I have one of the original releases in the stash and want to have a bash at something similar.

Looking forward to the link and hopefully some details on how you did the paint mixing etc for airbrushing.

The lower dish took ages. I have tried to replicate every panel detail down to the colour which meant I was squinting a lot at the paused BluRay. I was extremely pleased when Paul Olsen who did the original said I was pretty close.

I used Tamiya clear and mixed in the Pearl Ex powder, 5 shuttlecraft scoops ( yes I used that) to 7 cc liquid plus some thinners. I sprayed with the trigger pulled back until I got the sheen I wanted, it seemed how far back I pulled it affected how shiny it ended up and I didn't want gloss.

The engineering hull green paint is Humbrol acrylic 30 ( the green for a Spitfire ) mixed with Tamiya matt white acrylic. I used various proportions to get the various shades. The Pearl Ex powder is available online from rainbow silks(www.rainbowsilks.co.uk). I used red, gold, blue and green interference powder but I've been through about five airbrushes!

Have you seen the web interview with Paul Olsen that trekworks did?

I found it really interesting and a lot was about how he became an airbrush artist and all the work he did with the rock stars of the day.

I'll find a suitable link and post it up.

Thanks for that plasmahal. Paul is a great guy and has been fantastic with giving me advise, tips and encouragement. He is very approachable and has been a great help when I've asked questions. He has written a book "Creating The Enterprise" which is a fascinating read into the history of the model's creation. According to him I was the second person on the planet to buy it, just beaten by a Texan a few minutes before!

Today I had a set back again thanks to the Tamiya TS27 spray matt white spray. From my perspective I do not believe it is fit for the purpose of being used for the base white for this kit as it can be scraped off with a finger easily after even a year ( yes the surface was prepared etc). I started this kit nearly a decade ago and it has taken this long because Tamiya were forced to change their formulation by the EU and it just does not work as it used to.

It doesn't seem to go hard. It remains tacky and can be scraped off easily with a finger even over a year later.

It is matt until you handle it to mask areas, then it goes super-glossy.

It can move with pressure applied, for instance when holding the model to paint another area.

The best description of the consistency is to say it is almost as if it was designed to be spray-on rubber insulation for electrical wires.

The result is I have to redo the starboard hull and hold this kit so gingerly.

If you are serious about making this kit and live in the EU I would not recommend using this paint for the base white colour. The Tamiya customer service representative even suggested that as it is not a Tamiya kit the plastic may not be compatible. However their spray should adhere to their own primer.

Can you see the finger print indents above the black text? The old paint was perfect, really annoyed that the EU banned it.

2_zpsb417c54f.jpg

Today I took a break from the painting of the warp pylons and am in the process of extending the base (I have a couple of spare I can cannibalize). I managed to cram thirty wires through the hollow metal tube I have used instead of the solid metal pole supplied in the kit and I have to find space for about twenty potentiometers.

A lot of the finished kits I have seen look like Christmas trees with the lights on maximum super-brightness, if you look in the film the lights can look quite dim especially in the dry dock sequences.. I want to have total control to cater for daytime/night time etc....

Superb work on the finish, one of the best I've seen on any forum. Take a look at scifiaction forums for a lot of builders slowly progressing their 1701a's. I have four of these kits and can't bring myself to start one, keep hoping for early retirement as I want to do at least one of them justice. Any chance you could post a youtube video of your methods?

• 2 weeks later...