Washing before painting

Rodders

hi all,

can anyone help with some advice. I've only built 3 AFV's the one i'm just about to paint is the Crusader AA mk3 in 1/35th from Italeri. i've already had problems with washing my models prior to paint and wanted to ask what things to clean all the dust and crud off people use. i do have polyscale plastic prep i use before painting but i still seem to end up with some sort of dust. I also seem to end up with something breaking off.

any help would be really appreciated,

thanks.

Not easy to get the dust off an AFV I'm guessing, I use a tack rag (as used by car sprayers and can be bought at Halfords) to wipe down my aircraft models just before painting but there aren't so many sticky out bits to snag on. A stiff, clean brush might help you.

Duncan B

Hi, Rodders.

If you have a Maplins near to you, I would recommend their own-brand "Foam Cleaner". It's around 4 quid a can and removes house dust, sanding-dust and most other nastiness very easily. You can use it to clean most things (not just kits).

Cheers.

Chris.

Maybe a can of air-duster from Maplin or elsewhere (elsewhere is probably cheaper - the gas is 134a IIRC, so won't harm you or your kits), unless you have access to a compressor? Loosen any stubborn bits with a stiff brush as you blow. :)

:hmmm: Maybe not then, eh? Could have sworn I had the number right, but you know my memory :shrug:

Just did a quick check on Wiki, and it does mention some contain 134a near the bottom here. It also looks like it's only banned in a few states in the US according to the 134a article on Wiki. Whether that's up-to-date or not is another matter :shrug:

Hi there rodders

All i use is ..warm soapy water .....and the kitchen bowl .....sometimes when my tanks are too large
I use the bath ! ...with a shower attachment and even shampoo

Well ive heard of ducks in the bath and poss a few boats but TANKS :yikes::yikes:

:hmmm: Maybe not then, eh? Could have sworn I had the number right, but you know my memory :shrug:

Just did a quick check on Wiki, and it does mention some contain 134a near the bottom here. It also looks like it's only banned in a few states in the US according to the 134a article on Wiki. Whether that's up-to-date or not is another matter :shrug:

Don't think it's banned for use,as it's in most car aircon units, just very restricted with it's use, again the car side don't seem to have the same restrictions as others at the moment

The company I work for stopped using it as a refrigerant in the manufacture of domestic fridges/freezers and stopped doing system repairs on older stuff with it in, due to the restrictions on breaking into sealed systems and having to reclaim the gas from them and recharging the system after.

That's what made me think it wouldn't now be used

My builds always take a long time - typically twelve months - so the model is usually quite dirty. With the fine details that cover an AFV wiping/brushing is not an option so developed my own technique.

I use a stuff called sugar soap, its most common use is pre-paint cleaning when redecorating your house. Get it at supermarkets or DIY stores. Unlike soap/detergent products it does not have to be thoroughly flushed off. Its only possible downside is that it can attack aluminium if left on too long.

I mix it at about 25% concentration in a spray bottle and just spray it on the model till it is running off. Leave the model to stand for a while, like 1/4 -1/2 hour, and give it a further spray. Then fill the spray bottle with clean water and give the model a rinse spray.

Hope that helps.

Regards Dave

thank you all for the help. there's some nice ideas, i'll have a think and may use all of them :D .

never thought of using my compressor mike good idea, and the sugar soap looks good as well. All of them are helpful although i may try going down the bath route next time i bathe, i'll just have to keep the rubber duck out of the way. :yikes:

Thanks all,

Cheers.