Boeing 737-300 - Jet2 Airways

Having a slight theme going on of aircraft seen at Manchester, my local airport, I bought this decal sheet from Draw Decals a couple of Telfords ago. Then Daco/Skyline 737's suddenly disappeared from model shops, and I became hesitant about using up my last 737-300 kit.

Happily Danny Coremans anounced late last year that all three of his 737 kits (300, 400, & 500) were being re-issued, so out of the stash came my last 300 to give the result seen here. I sawed off the solid cockpit area and replaced it with the clear moulded part.

Silver is Citadel 'Mithril silver' thinned with warm water and airbrushed on in light coats. Red is Tamiya acrylic, also airbrushed.

The deacl sheet is printed by Draws 'Digital Silk' process and covers many of the individual aircraft in Jet2's fleet, with multiple registrations and names offered. I figured that G-CELY 'Manchester' was a good choice! Using Draws recommended method of a hot towel to press down the decals works very well, and the carrier film seems to disappear.

Regularly seeing Jet2's aircraft at MAN, they always seem to be clean and tidy and very well kept so weathering is fairly light on the model.

Jet2-1_zpse2963cb4.jpg

Jet2-2_zpsb1794c8c.jpg

Jet2-3_zps5c5fa113.jpg

Jet2-4_zps321660be.jpg

Jet2-6_zpsf92bd8a0.jpg

Jet2-5_zpsf4620819.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 16

You do know how to produce stunning airliner models... a lovely build John.

The Daco 737s really are beautiful; I've a couple in the stash to do myself and seeing this it's rather tempting to get one out!

Tom

• Like 1

Very nice. Effective silver finish. Like it!

Thank you for all the comments folks!

John,

Seeing your build, I'm very tempted to do a 757 in this scheme!

Is it just me, or do the 757s look more grey than silver? I can see the 737s look silver. What do you think?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew, I totally concur. I went through Manchester just over a week ago, and a Jet2 757 was over by the cargo side looking like it had a grey rather then silver fuselage. A bit too far away for a decent photo. Gives me an excuse to add a few here that I did take though!
Went to Hamburg on this;

Ham9_zpsec78e384.jpg

Saw these on the way back;

Ham8_zps12288c5d.jpg

Ham7_zps3e3fed46.jpg

Purpose of the trip was to go to Minature Wunderland with my son. Absolutely incredible. This is the model airport, all fully functioning. The aircraft get pushback from the terminal, taxi out, and take off on metal rods. All vehicles drive around too. Darkness falls every 15 minutes, and all lights come on;
Ham1_zps1f62dd68.jpg

Ham3_zps2f678af1.jpg

Ham2_zps72bbd8a6.jpg

Has to be seen to be believed really!
Youtube Linky here

Cheers

John

Nice built John. :thumbsup:

Any reason you replaced the nose? I thought the Daco kit was very good shape wise?

Thanks Ray. Maybe I didn't explain it very well. What I meant was that I used the clear cockpit section that Daco provide. To fit it you have to cut out the solid area of the cockpit/fuselage including the roof, so that it looks like a Minicraft 737. Then you can replace it with the clear part.

I didn't replace the nose itself.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Now if only Draw did the decals with the big Yorkshire or Manchester down the fuselage.......

BD decals (aka Brasil Decals) did these on a sheet. They're on ebay from time to time. In fact one finished a few days ago.

Very nice build Viking :)

Where did you get the replacement clear windows from as these look much better then a simple decal.

this is a great looking 73 - nicely built but I am unfamiliar with the kit manufacturer and can only assume its in 1/144. I used to fly to Gibraltar every month on BA's 737s from Gatwick before they took up their LHR A320 service to Gib - a fully loaded 737 used to take every inch of the runway on hot days to get airborne - thanks for posting