Westland Lynx Mk. 90B, Royal Danish Air Force, Airfix 1/48

A great kit, and my first Lynx since 1974. Matchbox' Lynx was in fact my second model when I began building as a kid. Airfix Lynx is a fantastic kit, I enjoyed almost every second during the build.

13193080453_48d7e8410e_c.jpg

My solution to the intake guard problem was to use some Tamiya tape to simulate the covers (also on the exhausts). They also gave the model some nice red decorations. :)

13193078433_dd4d31fb0e_c.jpg

I didn't use the decals for the rotors, since the colour of the ones for the main rotor was wrong and wasn't sure of the fit of those provided for the rear rotor.

13193080213_3cbf1471d3_c.jpg

13193247644_31d6ef6c9e_c.jpg

I used Gunze gloss blue and tons of Johnsons to achieve the very glossy finish of these Danish birds.

13193077063_93303f7561_c.jpg

13193247734_8c25df9dbe_c.jpg

I added new seatbelts, some details in the cabin, at the windscreen vipers and the hook, but the rest is OOB. I tried to find more details, but Airfix great model made it almost impossible. However, there are some mistakes in the instructions that I discovered too late. So those of you that know every detail of Danish Lynx, can find a number of small errors.

13192959815_58978419e6_c.jpg

13193249714_f5c7200391_c.jpg

Unfortunately I started it a bit too early to participate at the Lynx group build... Here is a last picture. Hope you like it.

13192958175_74965dc6b9_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 18

Thanks, all! Och tack, Örjan!

Colin: I didn't join it because the model was almost finished when the group build started. Last year I bought this and the Javelin at the same time, I should have started with the Javelin instead of this... (BTW, the Javelin is also finished.)

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn,

Excellent construction and bright colour scheme.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

Sweet build :D

Great job Bjørn!
I am currently working on an Airfix Danish Lynx Mk. 90B, and there are several things that need to be modified to accurately represent a Danish Lynx. By far, most of them are in the cockpit and cabin areas. Since my job is in the Danish Lynx squadron I have to make it as correct as possible. After all, the first-hand references are right there in front of me everyday.
You have nailed it pretty good. The only thing I will mention - it that is not your fault - is the incorrect squadron badge. Airfix printed the wrong colours (you caught the rotor blade leading edges yourself).

Here is the real S-134 as it looked in 2010:

s-134_9274_1000jj.jpg

Jens

• Like 1

Jens: Thanks!!! I am happy to hear that I caught most of it, especially from a true expert! It was very hard to find cabin and cockpit references on the Internet, so I hoped I wasn't too far off since I decided not to follow the Airfix instructions there. I knew about the squadron badge, but decided to use it anyway. Nice to see the picture of the original!

And of course, thank you all! I am happy to hear that you liked it.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Jens: Thanks!!! I am happy to hear that I caught most of it, especially from a true expert! It was very hard to find cabin and cockpit references on the Internet, so I hoped I wasn't too far off since I decided not to follow the Airfix instructions there. I knew about the squadron badge, but decided to use it anyway. Nice to see the picture of the original!

And of course, thank you all! I am happy to hear that you liked it.

You could have asked for reference pictures. ;)

Upon further inspection of your photos I noted the cabin seat frame and intermediate gear box cooling grilles (the ones with the holes in them). Very well done! How did you make the latter?

Jens