Lightning

Just finished this one, my take on the excellent new Airfix 1/72 Kit

Started around Christmas time with the plan for a quick 2 week build but here we are nearly 3 months later ....

Other than the pin to replace the pitot (is that the right term?) its as it came in the box

Airbrushed with Tamiya Aluminium and Dark Green, Humbrol Clear before\after decals then Windsor & Newton Galeria Satin Varnish and bit of MIG Cold Grey Wash to finish.

Hope you enjoy, will do another wheels down when Eduard come out with a cockpit set

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light4.jpg

light5.jpg

light7.jpg

• Like 23

Cjhm,

Well I first thought I was looking at photographs of the real aircraft until I scrolled further down .

Your photographs are SUPERB and your Lightning is VERY RESPLENDENT..

She is GORGEOUS. Beautifully FLAWLESSLY finished.. :mike:

KUDOS.

:heart::wub:

Do you remember Airfix used to have the catchphrase 'Just like the real thing'? Well, this is obviously what they meant. Fantastic build and great photos.

• 4 weeks later...

You've made a really cracking job of that - well done. I have a question for you and other Lightning fans out there...

Like me, you have followed Airfix's painting instructions and painted the panel behind the cannon ports gun metal as well. After I did this, I noticed that I can't find a single picture of a Lightning with these in gun metal - they all seem to be NMF or green depending on the paint scheme. So, is this aircraft a one off or did Airfix get the painting instructions wrong?

It is a minor point I know but if they are wrong that would make three mistakes in the painting instructions (the other two being that they don't show the IFR probe and the anti-glare panel doesn't extend far enough on the plan view). Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Airfix - I think this kit is absolutely superb.