1/48 A-4Q Argentinian Navy - May 1982

goon

Hi all,

I haven't done a WIP for ages, so thought I might do a small one for my Argentinian Skyhawk conversion. I'm going to build the Hasegawa A-4E/F converted to a Q with the Aconcagua conversion set and Aztec models decals. A fairly straight forward conversion, with no mucking about after my mammoth 1/32 Lynx project. I've also got an Aires seat and SAC metal gear (mostly for the better nose leg representation) to add.

I'm doing 3-A-301 from 3rd Air Naval Attack Squadron as flown by Lt. Roberto Sylvester against HMS Ardent on 21st May 1982.

It should look a bit like this:

fa24b3ff31f91aee20266b7ec963581fo.jpg

Kit and decals.

sh.JPG

Aconcagua resin.

photo.JPG

More soon.

Edited by goon
  • Like 1

intake.jpg

Hmm... A bit of a puzzle already. Not sure how that intake is supposed to fit the fuselage. There is no splitter plate on a Q, and if I sand off the flat area the intake will not fit correctly. And to think I chose this as a relatively quick and simple project after my protracted 1/32 Lynx build...

Edited by goon
  • Like 1

Is there back plate piece that you have to cut off and use?

I don't think so, but I found this very late on yesterday and didn't have time to go through the kit box. It would be weird because the Qs were remanufactured Bs, and as far as I can it was a very simple intake with no splitter plate at all. I have asked Juanca at Aconcagua for clarification.

Edited by goon

It is odd, as I thought the Has kits used the same fuselage just with different intake parts for the later marks....

I was reading over this build the other day

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53933-a4c-argentina-148/

The chap seems to be friends with the producer so you could PM him, or hope he spots the build!

The Hasegawa A-4B/C/P/Q/SU kits have different fuselage parts with the inner wall of the intake being moulded as part of the fuselage. If you go this route instead of finding one of the early ones you will probably have to remove the raised area and add the inner wall yourself. More work than finding the correct version I guess.

Jens

Thanks for the information Jens. I'll soldier on with the kit I have while I wait to hear from Juanca. I can make it fit, but it shouldn't be this difficult.

Edited to add: I can't see how the intakes I have fit without surgery to the kit, and modification of the intakes. Dremelled off the locating point for the splitter plate of the E/F intake.

2014_%25203_17_22_17.jpg

Which means that the intakes are too 'shallow' and need moving away from the fuselage with some shims. The profile is spot on to match the styrene parts though.

2014_%25203_17_22_17.jpg

Getting closer.

2014_%25203_17_22_17.jpg

I don't think the short intake trunking will fit without major surgery, but that's what FOD guards were invented for isn't it?

Edited by goon
  • Like 1

Some good progress. I've solved the intake problem. The short trunking was hacked off the splitter plate and tacked in place, then filled from behind with super glue. A little filler to make the joins good and we're done. Doesn't have to be perfect as you can't see it, but the presence of the parts behind the cockpit in the intake stops any potential for odd shadows or light in the intake.

2014_%25203_20_20_43.jpg

I sprayed a little white and the job was done.

2014_%25203_23_19_%25206.jpg

After determining that the red intake stripe does in fact run all the way round on 301 I have put a stripe in before the intakes are attached.

2014_%25203_23_19_%25207.jpg

Dry fitted for now.

2014_%25203_23_19_%25206.jpg

The seat is done.

2014_%25203_23_21_%25200.jpg

And ready to go in the cockpit.

2014_%25203_23_21_%25201.jpg

Next up is correcting the step in the area the slats spring from. It should be a smooth transition, rather than as moulded. Not as simple as I thought it was going to be!

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

Edited by goon
  • Like 1

Sorry about some of the pictures in this, I'm experimenting with doing it all from the phone camera.

Anyway, here is the replacement nose section ready for fitting.

2014_%25203_25_%25209_54.jpg

Take a deep breath, and cut the nose off. Too much of it as it happens, despite sticking carefully to the panel line. Plums! Easily rectifiable, but unnecessary work.

2014_%25203_25_%25209_58.jpg

No pics of that as it was bed time.

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

Hi Phil,

I received a reply with a picture showing the contents of the set were correct, but looked like the same issues I had, so I just set to work making them fit. The nose problem is my own fault, I should have been more cautious with how much I chopped. I have two other Aconcagua A-4 sets to do, so I'll know for next time!

I've got the replacement nose on now. I made a plasticard shim, and sanded until it (more or less) matched the profile of the end of the new part. It's not perfectly aligned, but I should be able to make it good without losing too much (if any) detail

2014_%25203_27_10_50.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still going on this one, doing a few of the peripherals as a way of putting off a bit of rescribing.

Four Mk842 Snake Eyes and their TER (still only in primer)

2014_%25205_%25201_20_45.jpg

Edited by goon
  • Like 2

Pre-shade done this evening. I've experimented with a high contrast effect to try and break up the overall grey colour. We'll see how it comes out when the top coat goes on.

2014_%25205_%25205_20_57.jpg

• Like 1

Some good progress over the weekend.

Masking and spraying the tail colours.

2014_%25205_10_23_%25207.jpg

2014_%25205_10_23_%25207.jpg

2014_%25205_12_%25209_%25206.jpg

Some touch ups needed, but essentially done. I've got the overall grey on too, but got a nasty sag under the port intake that I need to sand back.

2014_%25205_11_22_15.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

• Like 1