1/8 C Type Jaguar

So after a nice, relaxing, hair pulling build of a 3000 part Pocher, you make this silk purse from scratch.....!

You are a masochist my friend.

But it's magnificent and please keep posting progress before the final photos-I'm stealing all the ideas I can from you.... :evil_laugh:

Hello Roy, as a committed floaty thing and flying thing builder, I have to say I have been amazed at your building work on this subject. I love reading things outside my main area of interest, and I have learnt a lot from this.

Thanks for sharing, and as others have said, there is interest in what you are doing (3,500+ views)! Which I think is brilliant stuff. I have attempted some scratch-build projects and know it is not easy, but oh boy is it rewarding though.

Keep updating for us please, all the best, Ray

Roy,

Please continue with the updates, I am keen to see your Jaguar developing. I don't contribute a lot to the forum, I havent even had time to touch any of my half built kits for months but I do enjoy reading how your overcoming obstacles to make a truly stunning model.

It seems there are a few people who enjoy the updates so I'll add a bit more...

The engine is almost done - just an intake manifold needed which has to be scratch built.

I was fortunate enough to get a set of correct Webber carbs from a guy in Germany - somewhat 'ouch' but really nicely cast in metal.

The intake trumpets are proper spun Ally - kindly made for me by my Jag guru.

The exhaust manifold is in place but to make the sweeping curved twin pipes joining the manifold to the exhaust side pipes caused some head scratching.

In the end I used two pieces of old guitar lead/cable, stripped back around 10mm from one end revealing the inner core, and with pliers and a bit of ‘wiggling’ I pulled the core out leaving a hollow but thick walled rubber tube.

I then slid 1.5mm steel wire into the tube and cut it to length, leaving around 5mm of the wire protruding from each end.

The two tubes were then bent into shape quite easily, and the wire protrusions were glued in to pre-drilled holes in the manifold and side pipes.

A coat of satin black later – Voila. Exhaust pipes done.

The headlights are cast in metal with plastic ‘lenses’ over them and these were fixed to flat plasticard back plates that were then bonded into the rear of the openings.

Outer covers were cut from a vac forming of the raw bonnet, trimmed and drilled, then fixed in using cut down dressmaker’s pins to represent the little fixing screws.

Much of the rear suspension/diff/axle is in place and next will be the dampers, brakes and wheels.
As with my Aston DB5 build, the wheels are hand laced following the Jaguar rims as a guide.
One has been ‘test fitted’ in the pics to see how it’s going to look……

P1010027_zpsd3a4c534.jpg

P1010028_zpsc124d03b.jpg

P1010030_zps34b7f7f6.jpg

P1010026_zps7376a0e2.jpg

P1010031_zps226a15e5.jpg

P1010038_zps6798c9f9.jpg

P1010037_zps03cce6bc.jpg

P1010029_zpsaf850e43.jpg

P1010033_zpsbda2c34f.jpg

P1010034_zps7246ca84.jpg

P1010032_zps7749f08e.jpg

P1010035_zps60024b50.jpg

P1010036_zps170e53f6.jpg

• Like 1

I'm working mostly around the rear end of the car at present.

The C Type actually had pretty rudimentary suspension although it worked brilliantly.

The upside of this is that it makes it easy to model.

I've test fitted the rear wheels, brake discs and callipers and added the bonnet to check it all stands properly.

So far so good.

Next will be to build up the front 'picture frame' as it is called - the chassis section that holds all the front suspension and steering, and ultimately the wheels.

It's beginning to look close to completion but there's still actually a lot to do.

P1010041_zps00e24f09.jpg

P1010042_zpsaf18d921.jpg

P1010043_zpsf22cc0c3.jpg

P1010044_zps01ec3c4f.jpg

P1010046_zps55208289.jpg

P1010045_zps4e9fa2a2.jpg

P1010047_zps05070f3e.jpg