1/72 Airfix westland Lynx HAS.2, Operation Corporate, South Atlantic, May 1982.

Not long to complete this one. It will be from the box. My intention is build XZ723 of HMS Antelope, which destroyed the Argentine ship "Rio Carcarana" with Sea Skua missiles on May 23 1982 at Port Howard. HMS Antelope was sunk on the same day. XZ723 was subsequently transferred to HMS Brilliant and eventually updated to HMA.8.

13154943503_35a013d5c9.jpg
1/72 Westland Lynx HAS.2 "Operation Corporate" South Atlantic, May 1982. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

This is the unstarted kit, with primer applied.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Aton, not too late to join in, about 17 days. I'll be watching with interest, my bros-in-law was the navigator on Antelopes first commission.

Colin

Lynx-GB-banner_zps53c18225.jpg

Just a little additional history for you, in case you wish to depict this aircraft at a certain time on 23rd May 1982.

When the Lynx departed Antelope for the attack on Rio Carcarana, she had two Sea Skua's on board which were expended on the attack.

On her return to the ship she appears to have only reloaded one Sea Skua because later that day, after the attack on Antelope which left two UXB's inboard, she landed at Ajax Bay with only one Sea Skua fitted and this was on the port pylon.

By this time Antelope was anchored about a mile off Ajax Bay with the UXB's being dealt with by a Royal Engineer team. Whilst the aircraft was on the ground at Ajax Bay there was a muffled thump sound from the direction of the ship and men in orange survival suits started appearing on the flight deck. The pilot lifted off and flew back to the ship to attempt to rescue some of the guys off the ship.

So, if you are doing the kit on the way to attack the Rio Carcarana then it would have two Sea Skua's fitted. If on the way back to the ship then no Sea Skua's and finally, during the UXB incident she would have had one Sea Skua fitted port side. Three scenarios all in a single day.

HTH

Mike

• Like 3

Thank you for that very useful information Mike. I will probably go for the 2 option. can you (or anyone)tell me the best colour for the Lynx in 1982. I have a drawer full of Humbrol paints that goes back years.!

Just a little additional history for you, in case you wish to depict this aircraft at a certain time on 23rd May 1982.

When the Lynx departed Antelope for the attack on Rio Carcarana, she had two Sea Skua's on board which were expended on the attack.

On her return to the ship she appears to have only reloaded one Sea Skua because later that day, after the attack on Antelope which left two UXB's inboard, she landed at Ajax Bay with only one Sea Skua fitted and this was on the port pylon.

By this time Antelope was anchored about a mile off Ajax Bay with the UXB's being dealt with by a Royal Engineer team. Whilst the aircraft was on the ground at Ajax Bay there was a muffled thump sound from the direction of the ship and men in orange survival suits started appearing on the flight deck. The pilot lifted off and flew back to the ship to attempt to rescue some of the guys off the ship.

So, if you are doing the kit on the way to attack the Rio Carcarana then it would have two Sea Skua's fitted. If on the way back to the ship then no Sea Skua's and finally, during the UXB incident she would have had one Sea Skua fitted port side. Three scenarios all in a single day.

HTH

Mike

HTH

Mike

I have begun the build, conscious as I am of the time ticking away. Some sub-assemblies done (floor, sponsons) and some cleaning up rady for painting. (Still wanting advice on humbrol colour)

13251178985_c78a44efd4.jpg
1/72 Westland Lynx HAS.2 "Operation Corporate" South Atlantic, May 1982. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

For reference I have the excellent "Falklands Air war" by Chris Hobson, and Modeldecal Sheet 56 with several Lynx options from 1978-80.

13251530904_60041db896.jpg
1:72 Westland Lynx HAS.2 "Operation Corporate" South Atlantic, May 1982. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

13251352373_3ae67d6bed.jpg
1:72 Westland Lynx HAS.2 "Operation Corporate" South Atlantic, May 1982. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

Edited by Atom.uk

I have noticed on some photos from the Falklands Lynx fitted with a "box" of some sort on the nose. Was that anything to do with the Sea Skua?

HTH

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly this will not be completed for the deadline, but at least the GB timescale has given me the impetus to "get on" with something. I have completed the external sub-assemblies ready for painting. I find masking tedious so i have decided to spray the exterior first, then tidy up the seams later. I have an airbrush but find the setting up/cleaning etc too much bother so i use spray cans whenever I can get away with with it. Here I have sprayed satin black on the wheels and parts of the cockpit.

13520970634_f96482efaa.jpg

In the picture below I have sprayed the exterior. I had trouble with the colour but in the end "Ford Royal Blue" looked a good match - on the tin!!! Of course once sprayed it looks nothing like it (a bit bright) but it's done now so it's staying. I am convincing myself that it is the scale colour effect of whatever it's called :)

13520637645_c6cf963f10.jpg

I have sourced some Sea Skuas from a Revell Sea King. The pylons will be an issue. I have added the boxy thing on the nose from the HAS.3 version. I'n not sure if it's authentic, but I have seen photos of Lynx in the Falklands with it fitted so I'm hoping it is part of the Sea Skua fit. It looks far too big but it is on now.