Newbie Jaguar Questions

Cookenbacher

I've only been back in modelling for a year now, and would like to start a 1/72 Jaguar. Any tips are appreciated.

I've poked around and searched here on Britmodeller and here's what I've come up with so far:

- the Hasegawa Jaguar goes together really well

- but the Italeri Jaguar comes with more stores - PHIMAT, tanks etc...

- Airfix?

Any 1/72 kit suggestions?

As for schemes - this is what I've learned from these (very informative) forums:

- early (1970's?) Dark Green & Dark Sea Grey Camo with light grey undersides

- 1980s - early 1990's? Wrap-Around Dark Green & Dark Sea Grey

- 1990-91 Desert Pink for Granby

- 1990's sometime - ARTF - Light grey

- 1990's to retirement - Dark Sea Grey over Dark Camouflage Grey

- Some pics seem to show an overall dark grey scheme - did this exist or is just a case of the two greys fading to appear as one?

Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated! And if Fritag would like to add any Jaguar stories - that would be even more appreciated!

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the 'Modern' or 'Cold War' era forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can vouch for the Hase Jag, this is my favourite having built a few single seaters and a two seater. The Italeri kit isn't bad either.

Colour schemes for me either wrap round camo or the latter 2 greys, the Jag seemed to really suit this.

Eng

• Like 1

As Eng says, the Hasegawa and Italeri kits are good choices. The Hasegawa kit has raised panels lines while the Italeri has engraved.

Avoid the Airfix and Matchbox kits. They are very old and represent prototype aircraft.

• Like 1

The green and grey wrap around camouflage came in from around 1973 '74: as a spotty space cadet I remember seeing XZ385 at Coltishall in that scheme. The other jets in the hangar, including XX144, still had Light Aircraft Grey undersides. '385 was the first Jaguar I saw with the LRMTS "chisel" nose.

There's not a lot of contrast between Dark Se3a Grey and Dark Camouflage Grey and in photos, depending on lighting, film, monitor settings, use of filters and 101 other things, this can either be exaggerated or subdued. I'm not sure if, at the very end, some didn't have the overall Medium Sea Grey that Tornados and Harriers were sporting.

The Italeri kit isn't bad, BUT the stores are not good; the drop tanks are too skinny and the cluster bombs look nothing like BL755s. I'm not sure if later boxings of the venerable Airfix offering had an additional sprue of things that go bang in the night, but it might be worth shufti in the box if you can find an obliging trader at a show. The transfers from that kit do look good though (better than Italeri's).

Another aspect of the Revell/Italeri kit is that the main legs sit too far outboard, meaning that the two small trapezoidal panels along the top edge of the bay are splayed outboard to clear the top of the legs. I fixed this on mine by removing about 50 thou from the inboard face t the top of the leg where it sits against the inner wall of the bay. If you get the Revell or Marks'n'Sparks boxings the transfers are also better than Italeri's.

HTH,

Steve

• Like 1

If you can find one, go for the Desert Storm boxing of the Hasegawa Jag. It has two tanks instead of one. Other than that, it's lacking stores. Have a look at the Flightpath set for extras.

• Like 1

"The Hasegawa kit has raised panels lines"

Has it? The one sitting on the bench in front of me doesn't!!!

Eng

• Like 1

As Eng says, the Hasegawa and Italeri kits are good choices. The Hasegawa kit has raised panels lines while the Italeri has engraved.

Avoid the Airfix and Matchbox kits. They are very old and represent prototype aircraft.

Enzo,

I'm not sure which boxing you've got, but all 6 of my Hasegawa Jags have engraved panel lines and I wasn't aware that any Hasegawa Jags were ever produced with raised panel lines? It's not a Frog 2 seater in the wrong box is it?

With regard to the OP's question, I'd go with the Hasegawa Jag as it is the best OOB and if you can stretch to adding the Flightpath set, you will get a very nice model at the end. Just depends how much you like Jags and how much you want to spend! The Revell/Italeri kit (the same plastic is also available in a Tamiya boxing) is buildable, but does have a few problems with some shapes. As already mentioned, the drop tanks are too skinny and the cluster bombs are not very good either (they are American CBU-87's but with the fins deployed!) and there are some small problems with the lower rear fuselage. I can live with the fuselage probs as the end result still very much looks like a Jag, but the stores really need replacing and that negates the fact they come with the kit in first place!

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone! This site is like magic, seriously.

From everyone's input it looks like the Hasegawa kit is the way to go. I think I'll go for the wrap-around scheme as it seems like the most 'iconic' for a Jaguar.

I'm not sure if my modeling skills merit the Flightpath set yet, but I guess I'll never improve if I don't push myself a little. Have you guys used the Flightpath set?

Another vote for the Hasegawa kit. Freightdog make a very nice set of Jaguar tanks: http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=851&osCsid=d1fb64c3351a3e6151c1af762e703c06 . The now defunct Model Alliance did a Linescan pod and some other Jaguar upgrade bits. I believe Colin (Freightdog Models) may now have the masters so hopefully one day they'll be re-issued.

There's also a replacement wing with extended flaps made by both Airwaves and Wolfpack Design. The Wolfpack one looks like a nice set: http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/72032.html . Have a look on Hannants for more aftermarket ideas.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone! This site is like magic, seriously.

From everyone's input it looks like the Hasegawa kit is the way to go. I think I'll go for the wrap-around scheme as it seems like the most 'iconic' for a Jaguar.

I'm not sure if my modeling skills merit the Flightpath set yet, but I guess I'll never improve if I don't push myself a little. Have you guys used the Flightpath set?

Good choice of scheme, everything looks good in wraparound! With regard to the Flightpath set, it depends on your experience using etch, resin and white metal and how confident you are with your skills. It's not a set for the total novice, but with a bit of experience under your belt it shouldn't present any problems. I found the instructions a bit wordy, but the parts themselves were easy enough to work with.

Mark.

• Like 1

"The Hasegawa kit has raised panels lines"

Has it? The one sitting on the bench in front of me doesn't!!!

I'm not sure which boxing you've got, but all 6 of my Hasegawa Jags have engraved panel lines and I wasn't aware that any Hasegawa Jags were ever produced with raised panel lines? It's not a Frog 2 seater in the wrong box is it?

Nope... it's my memory playing tricks... :banghead:

The Mirage F1 definitely has raised panel lines and that was of a similar vintage to the Jaguar.

• Like 1

There's also a replacement wing with extended flaps made by both Airwaves and Wolfpack Design. The Wolfpack one looks like a nice set: http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/72032.html . Have a look on Hannants for more aftermarket ideas.

HTH,

Jonathan

I have both in the stash, and I would go with the Airwaves set. Separating the Wolfpak wing from its pour stub without damage to the wing leading edges is problematic. One other comment on the Italeri Shaguar; if you attach the ventral fins where suggested one of them (port IIRC) sits on top of the fire access doors for the engine compartment. That means either the access doors are in the wrong location or the fin is, and I believe it's the latter.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

One thing to note about the Hasegawa Jag (I'm going from memory here) is the airbrakes. Not only are the holes represented as raised lines but they are in the wrong place (the holes, not the airbrakes), as they represent the position shown in the prototypes.

I have the Italeri Jag but have not studied the brakes on that yet. Again I may be wrong but the Italeri was repopped by Revell.

Trevor

• Like 1

I've checked one of the kits in the stash and Trevor is correct about the airbrakes, they actually have rectangular bumps instead of holes. An alternative is the Airwaves set if you don't go for the Flightpath one.

Yes Revell re-boxed the Italeri kit; it was also issued by Marks & Spencer a few Christmases ago!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information and advice everyone! I've spent a little TOO much time looking over all the possibilities on Hannants, Freightdog and Flightpath sites based on your input. Dreaming and planning the build is half the fun.

Of note is that there were two wraparound schemes. The first one was used with the upper surface pattern from the original dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Light Aircraft Grey scheme. Later aircraft had a modified scheme designed from the start as a wraparound.

When Scale Aircraft Modelling Issue 2 (November 1978!!) came out featuring the Jaguar as the aircraft in profile they only described one scheme and I wrote a letter to the editor, the late Alan W Hall pointing this out, complete with drawings, suggesting that they could do an update. I still have his reply.

Not even the Model Alliance On Target volume on the Jaguar distinguishes the two RAF wraparound schemes.

Peter

• Like 1

As an aside, I remember modelling the original Airfix 54 Squadron Jag as a kid, and was totally astounded and thrilled to see that very aircraft (XX721 if I recall) that same week as I was modelling it with the rest of them on exercise at RAF Leeming where I grew up. This was in the days well before internet and mass media so as a 9ish year old the chances of ever seeing it were rare! Happy days

• Like 1