Honda RC166 with all 'Detail Up' parts (Tamiya 1:12)

Looking great mate,.

As for the hoses, I agree with Helo man. Tamiya could of done better.

Saying that, you can always insert fine fuse wire inside the plastic hoses that way they may keep the shape you need..

Simon

You do know there is a PE kit for the engine.

NO!! :gobsmacked:

Looking great mate,.

As for the hoses, I agree with Helo man. Tamiya could of done better.

Saying that, you can always insert fine fuse wire inside the plastic hoses that way they may keep the shape you need..

Simon

Thanks Simon :)

I have placed wire in a couple of the hoses but agree they could be better. That said, once the tank and cowling are on and it's on the shelf I'm hoping the hoses won't draw too mush attention.

I may try an alternative a build or two down the line :unsure:

You do know there is a PE kit for the engine.

Who's it from and what's the part number? Might be too late for me now but I'd like to have a look :Tasty:

Edited by wimbledon99

Looking good, if you wish to portray a painted on finish, typical of the period, you could cut all the carrier film from around each image. It's quite laborious but dose look very good. Alternatively you could used the decals as patterns for masks and then spray the colours on. A lot of modellers make the mistake in covering the decals of period/classic cars and bikes with a coat of very gloss clearcoat. I belive it's called toffee apples in the 43rd scale arena.

JMTP.

Colin

• Like 1

Now on frame :)

IMG_4939_zpsf0c74b57.jpg

IMG_4934_zpsdacd7b0d.jpg

However - Hoses and cables looking very large for the scale. These are the only items I would ask Tamiya to look to improve upon. Yes, I know there are options but at my level I currently build out of the box hence would look to the manufacturer for an alternative material as standard.

Edited by wimbledon99

Right, another wheel to build!! See you on the other side!! :banghead:

Joking apart, I'm heading away on business so there may be a pause in proceedings for a short while :violin:

IMG_4932_zpsce9651d8.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99

Well, after seeing your lovely lookin' bike chain and rear wheel build, this should be easy as pie. :D

Humbrol have spoke-n.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is looking really nice, sorry I've missed it up to now. The chain is *amazing*, can't believe it was possible to build that.

I keep looking at this kit on LuckyModel (where it's reduced a bit) but they have the version with the clear cowling parts and I don't know if they'd be difficult to paint and decal?

Will

• Like 1

I keep looking at this kit on LuckyModel (where it's reduced a bit) but they have the version with the clear cowling parts and I don't know if they'd be difficult to paint and decal?

Will

Will, it's quite achievable: here's mine. I went for half and half so that i didn't lose the details:

IMG_9546_zps14214542.jpg

IMG_9548_zpsc26f8198.jpg

2014_07130007_zpsb6c9cfe6.jpg

2014_07130012_zps68265b58.jpg

2014_07030010_zps34ed81d2.jpg

@Wimbledon99: a word of caution. I couldn't find a way of attaching the upper of the two lower cowling pieces once the main fairing was attached. The fork construction/wheel attachment sequence is different when using the aftermarket parts.

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser
  • Like 2

Will, it's quite achievable: here's mine. I went for half and half so that i didn't lose the details:

@Wimbledon99: a word of caution. I couldn't find a way of attaching the upper of the two lower cowling pieces once the main fairing was attached. The fork construction/wheel attachment sequence is different when using the aftermarket parts.

Rich

Noted Rich - Thanks for the heads up :)

Have been thinking about displaying the cowling separately. Like you, I don't want to cover up all the detail!

I`m shamed that I`ve missed this amazing thread.

What an incredible masterpiece!

:wow:

Kind words - Thank you. However, more of the build to come so feel free to stay and watch :)

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 1

I've just come across the first chink in the kits armour The front wheel guard halves are different sizes and are a poor fit. I've added some filler and the files are ready when dry so should be easy enough to sort!

IMG_0020_zps50982288.jpg

IMG_0021_zpsc4c95a5a.jpg

2014_07030010_zps34ed81d2.jpg

Rich

Hi Rich, I wasn't sure whether to point out the spokes on your rear wheel but they are not installed correctly. They should feed alternatly front and rear and not just from one side. I'd want to know if it was mine hence this post is made in a constructive manner :) Cheers

Hi Rich, I wasn't sure whether to point out the spokes on your rear wheel but they are not installed correctly. They should feed alternatly front and rear and not just from one side. I'd want to know if it was mine hence this post is made in a constructive manner :) Cheers

Yup, you are the first to mention it! But you would only possibly know if you build one :) I realised when I put the front wheel together, by which time it was too late to fetch the rear apart.

Rich

• Like 1