Yak-25RV Soviet U-2

The Yak-25RV was designed for high altitude flights along the same lines as the US U-2 and was based on the swept-wing Yak-25 family. I had the Broplan vacform of this several years ago and never did anything with it so when this Amodel kit was released I decided to cut my losses and do this instead. To add a bit more variety I got the drone version in a very unusual colour scheme which certainly makes a change to just overall silver and red stars.

Amodel kits get a lot of criticism which I don't feel is entirely deserved and this one certainly didn't give me any problems. Virtually no filler used and I replaced the two nose probes with brass tube as it was quicker than cleaning up the kit parts. The only part I thought might be awkward was using the decals for the orange/red trim around the wing and fin edges. Luckily they conformed well and I only had to touch up a couple of areas with some paint I mixed to match.

Painted with Halfords BMW Titan Silver and then satin varnished after decalling.

Please feel free to tell me what you think.....

DSCF4977.JPG

DSCF4978.JPG

DSCF4979.JPG

DSCF4980.JPG

Thanks for looking

Steve

• Like 7

Nice one.

To be 100% correct the plane you depicted is "Soviet U2" only because it was intended to be shot down :) This version Yak-25 RV-II is unmanned radio controlled target aircraft.

• Like 1

...This version Yak-25 RV-II is unmanned radio controlled target aircraft.

I know nothing about this aircraft, but from what you've intimated...I guess that the Lockheed U2 scared the bejeebers out of the Russians so much, that they developed a problem solver in this aircraft, both as research vehicle and as target for other development aircraft/missile systems. But in the quest to get as 'high' as possible I'm sure vodka would have been enough...just invite the enemy around and have a party! :winkgrin:

Thanks Steve, as with the passing of every day...I know a little more!

Edited by Nobby57

By the way the M-55 "Geofizika(геофизика)" is most close to U-2 in Russian aviation

Not quite. U-2 was conceived as a spy plane whereas M-55 is rather a high attitude low speed interceptor intended to shot down unmanned reconnaissance baloons as MiG-25 was way too fast for the job. Once baloon operations ceased it lost its purpose.

Edited by Pin

Not quite. U-2 was conceived as a spy plane whereas M-55 is rather a high attitude low speed interceptor intended to shot down unmanned reconnaissance baloons as MiG-25 was way too fast for the job. Once baloon operations ceased it lost its purpose.

Not quite .... :coolio:

M-17 was the balloon buster, M-55 was the twin-engined development as Earth Resources Platform..... after purpose ceased.

M-55....

day2_006.JPG

day1_101.JPG

M-17 (Note the former 'balloon busting' gun turret on top of the fuselage....

day01_006.jpg

Anigrand kit of same....

m-17_016.jpg

Yak-25RV at Monino......

day06_040.jpg

........ and finally..... the wreckage of Gary Powers U-2 at the Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow....

day4_001.JPG

Ken

PS - Sorry to hijack your thread Steve - great model of Yak-25RV BTW.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your kind comments

Wow! An AModel kit which didn't need filler? That's amazing :)

And very well done.

I didn't say it didn't need filler! That would be a very bold statement to make about Amodel (or most other!) kits

Not quite .... :coolio:

M-17 was the balloon buster, M-55 was the twin-engined development as Earth Resources Platform..... after purpose ceased.

Ken

PS - Sorry to hijack your thread Steve - great model of Yak-25RV BTW.... :thumbsup:

According to Yefim Gordon's OKB Yakovlev the Yak-25RV was conceived as a pilotless drone for high altitude flights and built as a piloted version. Until I looked that up I assumed the kit represented an old airframe converted into a pilotless target drone (similar to the British drone Fireflies, Meteors and Sea Vixens) but now I'm not sure. My comparison with the U-2 was based on the similar configuration (high aspect ratio wing) and role of both aircraft. Ken, not a hijack at all I'm always grateful to have your input.

Steve