Junkers Ju-52 Lufthansa pleasure flight 1/72

I flew on the real aircraft back in 1994 and the Lufthansa crew really looked after us. I always wanted to do this one and bought the Italeri 1/72 kit as it came with the right markings and didn't have the hole for the upper fuselage gunner's position to fill and sort out the corrugations for!

The kit goes together nicely and my intention was to leave the rear door open so I tacked it in place with a bit of PVA whilst painting and then found I couldn't get it open again..... I didn't want to damage the corrugations so have left it closed.

Had to change the propellers for three-bladed ones, thanks to John Adams at Aeroclub for sorting those out for me, extend the centre engine cowling, modify all the exhausts and alter the layout of some windows to represent the Lufthansa aircraft. Painted with Halfords Nissan Silver and gloss black with a matt varnish over the silver to tone it down. No weathering as the real aircraft was spotless.

Anyway here it is, comments/criticisms welcome.

DSCF4970.JPG

DSCF4974.JPG

DSCF4975.JPG

DSCF4976.JPG

Steve

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully done there. Always liked the look of this aircraft.

Some years ago South African Airways used to fly their Ju-52 around Johannesburg on a Sunday morning, serving champagne.

That, and a ride on the Concorde, are the two aviation experiences I most regret having missed.

Cheers,

Mike

Just bought the Airfix 1/72 of this yesterday. Your build makes me think it might well be the next one i do.

Lovely build and i like the personal story connected with it.

• Like 1

What a wonderful model. Takes me right back to the flight I had on D-AQUI from GLA about 20 years ago. When we landed the steward announced with great seriousness "Ladies and gentlemen I'm sorry to say you have to get off"!

I last saw her about two years ago when she came low over my sister's house in Munich still looking and sounding as good as ever.

I have plans to do a 1/144 model of D-AQUI using the Eduard kit but that will have to wait until I've finished HB-HOP in the Ju-Air "Milka" scheme.

Edited by Skodadriver
  • Like 1

Very nice indeed, this one flew over my house during the late 1990`s and it took ages to go over as it was going so slow,......a Ju 52 was the last thing that I expected to see when I heard the engine noise and went outside,........what a nice surprise it was.

Your model is a beauty,.....well done and it must be a nice keepsake from a memorable flight.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Beautiful job.

The real thing appears at Duxford for the Flying Legends airshow. I first saw one when visiting Bruges many years ago. As it appeared over the town I told my wife to have a good look as you won't see this again only have it reappear several times. Later we learned that it was giving pleasure flights out of Ghent not too far away. If only I had known...

Ju52.jpg

John

Edited by John R
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone.

Beautifully done there. Always liked the look of this aircraft.

Some years ago South African Airways used to fly their Ju-52 around Johannesburg on a Sunday morning, serving champagne.

That, and a ride on the Concorde, are the two aviation experiences I most regret having missed.

Cheers,

Mike

Concorde was on my list as well, sadly not now going to happen for either of us.

What a wonderful model. Takes me right back to the flight I had on D-AQUI from GLA about 20 years ago. When we landed the steward announced with great seriousness "Ladies and gentlemen I'm sorry to say you have to get off"!

I last saw her about two years ago when she came low over my sister's house in Munich still looking and sounding as good as ever.

I have plans to do a 1/144 model of D-AQUI using the Eduard kit but that will have to wait until I've finished HB-HOP in the Ju-Air "Milka" scheme.

The Lufthansa crew were very friendly and helpful, I asked if it was ok to take a few close-up photos and was given free access to everything. The three bladed props changed the sound from when it had the two bladed ones but it still sounds great and takes ages to get anywhere.

I had to make quite a few changes to the Italeri kit so you'll need to check the Eduard kit carefully as the aircraft has had a few modifications over the years. The Milka scheme will look good on it though.

That scheme almost makes the Tante Ju look elegant.

Almost.

That takes some doing as it's not the world's most beautiful aircraft!

Beautiful job.

The real thing appears at Duxford for the Flying Legends airshow. I first saw one when visiting Bruges many years ago. As it appeared over the town I told my wife to have a good look as you won't see this again only have it reappear several times. Later we learned that it was giving pleasure flights out of Ghent not too far away. If only I had known...

John

Cracking photo! Pretty much every photo seems to have different aerials on the fuselage top, that blade aerial is different to when I flew on it. The pleasure flights aren't cheap but certainly an experience to remember for a very long time.

Steve

With all here - very nice Tante Ju! Reminds me I should get back to my Eastern Front example. It seems I have to put guns on my airliners (even my DC-3's have guns - the Soviet Li-2NB night bomber and the AC-47 Spooky).

Regards,

Jason

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Dave, is that definitely the Lufthansa Ju-52? It looks like it has got 2-bladed props - it used to have them but they were swapped for 3-bladers.

Steve