Wings of Fame, The Journal of Classic Combat Aircraft

Potato Pete

Yep. And no, not really like anything on the market today. Detailed, in-depth articles on aircraft or campaigns, with good/great pictures. If you're being offered them for free, snap them up. If the friend wants paying, then the going rate seems to be about a fiver each.

A bit more info here: http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/magazine-details/wings-of-fame-magazine.htm

bestest,

M.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A superb, wonderful and very much missed publication. Its sister publication, the World Air Power Journal, was just as good. It's a shame that their successor, the International Air Power Review, is no longer published, though to my mind it was not quite as good as WAPJ and WoF.

A good publication. Worth a lot mor than a fiver each. Some volumes are low ie £8 to 10, a lot around the £20 Mark. Volumes 19 & 20 go for £40 plus as they went bust before subscribers got those two volumes.

I've got the full set too. Fantastic and inspirational concept that some magazine publishers could take a good look at even now. OK, they lack perhaps a bit of the depth of a single-type focussed 'monograph', but they really get the imagination going if it needs a bit of a bump for starting the next project. (As an aside, I still sometimes turn to Salamander Books' Flying Colours for a bit of a prod, and that was published back in 1981!)

Edited by Dave Batt

I've got the full set too. Fantastic and inspirational concept that some magazine publishers could take a good look at even now. OK, they lack perhaps a bit of the depth of a single-type focussed 'monograph', but they really get the imagination going if it needs a bit of a bump for starting the next project. (As an aside, I still sometimes turn to Slamander Books' Flying Colours for a bit of a prod, and that was published back in 1981!)

Now you're talking! One of the best books out there for modelling inspiration, that one.

Edited by T7 Models

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I bought Vol 19 & 20 both Hardcovers from an UK bookshop via Abebooks for a fiver each!!!

They do turn up in reasonable (even low) prices from time to time but usually those on auction end up at silly money...

• 2 weeks later...

The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells has Vols 1-18 in both soft and hard covers for £10 a throw, and they have a lot of copies. No reason to be paying more than that. Vols 19 & 20, though, they auction on eBay, because the prices are a lot higher.

Great magazine and as others have said sadly missed. They used authors who by and large knew what they were talking about and the picture reproduction was first class. I often refer to mine when undertaking projects. Nothing comes near these days. i was lucky to get all mine and intend hanging on to them.

• 1 month later...

There is someone on Ebay trying to sell them in softback for £50 EACH!

It gets on my wick when people try and force something to become a "Collectable" by artificially forcing up the prices.

I know they were relatively expensive to buy new but.. 50 quid?!

Especially when you can get second hand copies on Ebay for a tenner.

There's even someone selling the first 12 nearly new for £110 buy-it-now and you could probably knock off a tenner with an offer.

Now, if only I had a £100 spare.....

• 6 years later...
On 7/17/2014 at 10:03 AM, FatBob said:

There is someone on Ebay trying to sell them in softback for £50 EACH!

It gets on my wick when people try and force something to become a "Collectable" by artificially forcing up the prices.

I know they were relatively expensive to buy new but.. 50 quid?!

Especially when you can get second hand copies on Ebay for a tenner.

There's even someone selling the first 12 nearly new for £110 buy-it-now and you could probably knock off a tenner with an offer.

Seven years old, but still so true. It’s currently kits on eBay that are regularly being sold (or usually not sold) with starting prices that are absolutely laughable.

Anyway, I’m here to ask about WoF. I know it’s a good publication, but I read a comment somewhere that left me wondering if the content only covers aircraft up to a certain point. What I mean is the Phantom edition for example; does it only cover the aircraft up to the 70’s? I’m quite focused on the later 80’s and wondered if that period would not be reached in the book? Same applies for the Buccaneer edition.

On 17/07/2014 at 10:03, FatBob said:

I've got those twelve and IIRC they cost about £12 each when new, they were certainly over a tenner? (I've actually got 19 volumes which I 'think' were all that were published? **)

25 minutes ago, Filler said:

What I mean is the Phantom edition for example; does it only cover the aircraft up to the 70’s? I’m quite focused on the later 80’s and wondered if that period would not be reached in the book? Same applies for the Buccaneer edition.

I don't know what exactly you mean about the Phantom and Buccaneer 'editions'? Each volume had a good number of articles about different aircraft, air forces, unitt histories etc. I've just had a quick look and there were two Phantom articles I saw - the first was US Navy Phantoms in Vietnam and the other RAF Phantoms (& just RAF, not RN) - that covered them from the start to the end of service. The Buccaneer article is pretty comprehensive and covers RN & RAF service through to the end and has items on units, colours, weapons, Gulf War, SAAF etc)

TBH for British Tooms (if that's what you meant) I don't think the two 'Double Ugly' volumes can be beat, although they're now probably way more expensive than the WoF books.

HTH

Keith 

** edit - earlier in the thread I said I had Vol 20 - I wonder what I've done with that?!