How to make a 777 disappear--?

NavDoc

Just had it pointed out to me that Beijing, the plane's destination is roughly at 40N, 116E. The candidate debris spotted by the Australians is at 40S, 116E, give or take. Possibly the mother of all navigation errors, coincident with the max range of the flight?

Sounds like one of those mistakes when a reciprocal heading is entered in error... only to end in tears.

Wanting to stay away from this as the press get on my you know whats.

This is one of the problems with 24 hour news and instant world wide communications.

It does show a gaping hole in the UK's air assets if a similar thing were to happen here. All those maritime nations involved have an aircraft to do the job. We would be left with more than likely guys looking out the windows of Hercs at best.

Julien

• Like 3

Now being reported officially as "assumed beyond reasonable doubt" as to have gone in the drink. I'm not a fan of this assumption lark. Until concrete evidence is found, I do wish the tabloids would desist in their race to be the first to deliver the scoops.

Whilst I'm sure there are things that have not been told about this whole mystery, I'm also sure it could have been handled a whole lot better by some parties. The relatives have my sincerest condolences but if I were one of them I would not be feeling that any of my questions had been resolved...which seems to have been a problem throughout this whole saga... and I would be feeling as frustrated as ever.

I would hope that if it IS found sooner rather than later,and they can get the boxes, the truth can finally be determined, and thus put an end to some of the frankly ridiculous speculations of the past weeks. As somebody else said, if there wasn't a human factor involved, it would be a greater plot than a Dan Brown novel, but there IS, and that seems to have been forgotten on occasion, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Given that it's looking more and more likely she went into the sea, I'd like to add my condolences to this thread. RIP to all those lost. :(

• Like 2

Surely this is official according to a politician or an airline.

Would only listen to to the official accident report for anything approaching fact.

Think both the Malaysian Government and Malaysian airlines could have done things differently to lessen the suffering of the relatives.

Very sad for all the families the way this media circus has tormented them for over two weeks. My condolences to all the families of all on board this ill fated aircraft.

• Like 1

Sad end albeit one that always seemed inevitable

Assuming the press reports are right though I would suggest Malaysian Airlines review their public relations policies and skills. Relatives getting advised by text is not exactly professional or considered

• Like 5

Given that it's looking more and more likely she went into the sea, I'd like to add my condolences to this thread. RIP to all those lost. :(

Acknowledged.

Re read the post. They supposedly disappeared the day before the flight!

So what happened to this particular piece of information, I've read nothing but "families have been interviewed" nothing about going missing!!!!!

Edited by Canberra Fan

It must be frustrating for the aircrews spotting all these "objects" and not being able to retrieve them,what price a long range seaplane for this type of

mission which made me wonder what if there were survivors from a downed aircraft civil or military in such an area it would take days for a ship to reach

them.And this may seem a naive Question but since it,s been almost two weeks since it was agreed that this was the general area the plane disappeared

why no carrier assets have been sent with their SAR capability(apart from the chinese ship)?

Steve,

The harsh reality is most military people understand that survival past 5 days out on the ocean are slim to none. Without fresh water, you cannot survive and drinking salt water will cause first insanity and then death. Most nations with carrier assests have limited assets to begin with and the cost of sending them on a wild goose chase is not worth the amount of PR that would be generated by participating in the search. You just can't send a carrier or two out there. They need their support ships and protective ships and that is a fairly large commitment, both financially and asset assignment. I feel for the families and the circus they have been put through. But in this world that demands instant access to everything, this is a smack in that attitude that the world is still a big place and, unlike movies portray, there is not a global monitoring system that covers every aspect of the Earth monitored 24/7 and can be called up with a push of the button on someone's laptop.

• Like 1

As George says

add to that equation the near impossibility of surviving a controlled ditching at sea - which was not the most probable scenario in this case - and the survival rate falls off dramatically even in a bets case situation

To add my tuppence to this.

I read an interesting artical I'll try to find, but to add a bit more to that, what if there was a tyre fire in the nose wheel bay. Ie at take off the aircraft was heavy, high temps, tyre fires are common. That fire then causes damage to the comunications curcuits wiping out the radio and transponder in one go.

Pilots are suddenly aware they have a issue, they turn the aircraft back on course to the nearest airfield capable of taking a 777. They belive the fire is out, but they have no coms, after turning the fire then either overcome's the pilots and dispite a mini inferno raging in the cockpit, due to it being a night flight the cabin door is lock, passenger and flight attendants don't realise there is actually a issue. The pilots, still fighting the fire, can't go to Oxygen as that will only increase the fires intencity but they lose the fight, or are losing it. It the pilots are aware, they dive an attempt to ditch, or they are overcome, the fire cause structal failure and down comes the 777

As the guy said the rule is aviate, navergate, comunicate. It seems they never got to the third.

Also the wreckage when found will be 13 days drifting from the crash site, ie the wreckage could be up to 2000+ miles away from the crash site given wind, currents. Ie that half way across the atlantic if you need to visualise the distance.

After reading thecartical thats my view, nothing else fits, it no notes, no ransom, no demands. Just another fire on a 777, but this one was fatal.

Dave