Airfix 1/72 Lightning canopies

Duncan B

To vacuum form some canopies you might have to buy some clear sheet like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/clear-vacuum-forming-sheet-0-50mm-620mm-by-430mm-clear-vacuum-former-plastic-/261449109845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cdf94d155#ht_703wt_1300

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vacuum-forming-4-sheet-clear-pet-312mm-by-247mm-1mm-thick-vacuum-former-plastic-/261450901665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cdfb028a1#ht_581wt_1399

1mm is probably too thick though. I will bring what I have tonight but some of it is quite scratched (and won't be up to your high standards) and I would just treat it a practice material.

• Like 1

To vacuum form some canopies you might have to buy some clear sheet like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/clear-vacuum-forming-sheet-0-50mm-620mm-by-430mm-clear-vacuum-former-plastic-/261449109845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cdf94d155#ht_703wt_1300

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vacuum-forming-4-sheet-clear-pet-312mm-by-247mm-1mm-thick-vacuum-former-plastic-/261450901665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cdfb028a1#ht_581wt_1399

1mm is probably too thick though. I will bring what I have tonight but some of it is quite scratched (and won't be up to your high standards) and I would just treat it a practice material.

I think I've got some somewhere but I've ordered the 0.5mm sheet anyway, it's only money!

DB

Just got replacement transparencies from Airfix and....

they're no better than the faulty originals.

Oh dear.

At least I've got two fit-for-purpose Lightnings to build/convert before I need worry about this, plus the two Sword trainers on order, but even so, this is not good. I ought to look and see if the transparencies from a Trumpeter kit could bridge the gap.

And before anyone asks, my kitchen doesn't run to a grill, so heating and smashing my own replacement isn't feasible. Then again, this has just given me an idea for a non-standard use of the Weber outside on the balcony, and I've got an extension lead for the vacuum cleaner...

• Like 1

Oh dear.

At least I've got two fit-for-purpose Lightnings to build/convert before I need worry about this, plus the two Sword trainers on order, but even so, this is not good. I ought to look and see if the transparencies from a Trumpeter kit could bridge the gap.

And before anyone asks, my kitchen doesn't run to a grill, so heating and smashing my own replacement isn't feasible. Then again, this has just given me an idea for a non-standard use of the Weber outside on the balcony, and I've got an extension lead for the vacuum cleaner...

After receiving my mistake canopy from Airfix I put in a complaint about it and then put in a request for another one. They asked me for a picture so I sent them off and we will see what I end up with. I'd rather not vacform unless I have to as I hate trying to masking the softer frames.

• Like 1

After receiving my mistake canopy from Airfix I put in a complaint about it and then put in a request for another one. They asked me for a picture so I sent them off and we will see what I end up with. I'd rather not vacform unless I have to as I hate trying to masking the softer frames.

I never even got a reply so I've sent off another e-mail with a link to this thread attached!

RG

I'd rather not vacform unless I have to as I hate trying to masking the softer frames.

Good point that the frames are softer but when stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Oh dear.

I've already checked my Trumpeter hoard and can confirm that the canopies were something else they got wrong so no help there I'm afraid. The shape of the canopy from the Trumpeter kit is like the hunchback of Notre Dame and the framing is wrong too.

Duncan B

I never even got a reply so I've sent off another e-mail with a link to this thread attached!

RG

To be honest I can't be bothered getting back to them to tell them the replacements are mince after the E mail told me it's the best they can do (felt like they were telling me to just accept bad service, shut up and get on with it)!

I'll just make sure that as little of my modelling cash as possible goes their way in future. Same as If I get bad service at a Restaurant or garage then I don't go back.

Duncan B

To be honest I can't be bothered getting back to them to tell them the replacements are mince after the E mail told me it's the best they can do (felt like they were telling me to just accept bad service, shut up and get on with it)!

I'll just make sure that as little of my modelling cash as possible goes their way in future. Same as If I get bad service at a Restaurant or garage then I don't go back.

Duncan B

To be fair to them, if the complete batch of clear parts looks more or less like this, their spares coming from the same batch can't be better, so they're probably very honest when saying it's all they can do. If I were them, however, I'd point out that they are waiting for a newly-moulded non-defective batch of spares, of which they'll send one to you as soon as they arrive, and ask for your patience. I bet they are waiting as it appears they must have an enormous (relatively) amount of enquiries for those parts. And if their contracts with their supplier don't feature a clause providing for cost-free rectification in instances like that, I'd consider changing their lawyer...

• Like 2

To be fair to them, if the complete batch of clear parts looks more or less like this, their spares coming from the same batch can't be better, so they're probably very honest when saying it's all they can do. If I were them, however, I'd point out that they are waiting for a newly-moulded non-defective batch of spares, of which they'll send one to you as soon as they arrive, and ask for your patience. I bet they are waiting as it appears they must have an enormous (relatively) amount of enquiries for those parts. And if their contracts with their supplier don't feature a clause providing for cost-free rectification in instances like that, I'd consider changing their lawyer...

I'd be more interested in them changing their injection molding company, or their mold design.

I find the fact that they stated "this is the best" they can do as a bit alarming, and I'd be asking questions of their quality department and technical team.

Was this present on the pre-production parts? If so, why was it not caught? If it wasn't present on pre-production parts - what has changed in the process?

There are tools available to diagnose potential problems in moldign before you even begin to cut metal. okay, they are not 100% fool proof, but they do go a long way to predicting your final part quality, and in the most part, are pretty successful.

Have they opted to go for the cheapest supplier in order to maximize profits?

The way the replacements issue is being handled is also a concern - is nobody even looking at these parts before they are sent out, or are they just hoping the issue will disappear by itself?

Asking for a refund as the product is not fit for use is much more likely to make them sit up and take notice.

I agree, if they had put it in those terms then I would be more sympathetic but they didn't. I do hope they sort it out as the rest of the kit is exactly what we Lightning fans had been waiting for and when they downsize the Sea Vixen and Javelin I hope we won't have a repeat of this issue :) (Here's hoping we get the chance to argue over the clear sprues of those kits).

Duncan B

• Like 1

I seem to be one of the luckier ones, of my two one seems OK and the other has a small flaw mostly in the painted area. Maybe when filling in Airfix's wish list forms we should add 'canopies without moulding flaws'? If enough of us do it, they may get the message... :wicked:

BTW shouldn't the thread title read 'Airfix 1/72 Lightning canopies'? :whistle: (sorry Duncan, after three pages I couldn't resist any longer).

I wonder if the inability to provide correct spares is because they're working to fix the issue for the F6 release? Just trying to be optimistic here.

• Like 1

I seem to be one of the luckier ones, of my two one seems OK and the other has a small flaw mostly in the painted area. Maybe when filling in Airfix's wish list forms we should add 'canopies without moulding flaws'? If enough of us do it, they may get the message... :wicked:

BTW shouldn't the thread title read 'Airfix 1/72 Lightning canopies'? :whistle: (sorry Duncan, after three pages I couldn't resist any longer).

It is strange how some people have been luckier than others. The flaw seems to move around a bit as you can see if you compare my earlier photos so I guess that suggests a flow issue from the sprue gates.

Well spotted, I'm just glad Nigel hadn't spotted it for himself. I'll add the invisible "n" now.

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I ended up complaining about my complaint as Hornby/Airfix did not reply to my last e-mail and I am still without a useable canopy and windscreen....

I got the automatic e-mail answer with yet another reference number about two weeks ago.

They didn't reply after that so I phoned them yesterday.The man I spoke to looked up the reference numbers,put me on hold and then told me that the man I needed to speak to was on another line. He noted my phone number and said he would call me back. He didn't.

This morning I phoned again and spoke with a woman this time.She looked up the references,put me on hold for an even longer time,then came back and told me that she would have someone from the spares dept call me right back.

I'm still waiting.

I was just going to forget it and try to vacform one but then thought..why should I?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Am I turning into 'Victor Meldrew'

Rant over but watch this space

Richard

• Like 1

Well...I ended up complaining about my complaint as Hornby/Airfix did not reply to my last e-mail and I am still without a useable canopy and windscreen....

I got the automatic e-mail answer with yet another reference number about two weeks ago.

They didn't reply after that so I phoned them yesterday.The man I spoke to looked up the reference numbers,put me on hold and then told me that the man I needed to speak to was on another line. He noted my phone number and said he would call me back. He didn't.

This morning I phoned again and spoke with a woman this time.She looked up the references,put me on hold for an even longer time,then came back and told me that she would have someone from the spares dept call me right back.

I'm still waiting.

I was just going to forget it and try to vacform one but then thought..why should I?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Am I turning into 'Victor Meldrew'

Rant over but watch this space

Richard

I don't think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, you paid good money for a product that is not up to standard. If it was a faulty TV you'd be complaining too, just because it's a £15 model doesn't change your rights or your expectations.

Duncan B

Another day and no phone call but when I popped in for lunch,I found a box from Hornby and this contained two sets of replacement clear parts.

Both were the same as the last one with the very obvious flaw.

I phoned the helpline,got yet another operator who was very polite and put me on hold (at least the music isn't too bad).

He then took my name and number and assured me that someone from the parts dept would call me later today.

I politely suggested that he or she read this thread before the call.

RG

Another day and no phone call but when I popped in for lunch,I found a box from Hornby and this contained two sets of replacement clear parts.

Both were the same as the last one with the very obvious flaw.

I phoned the helpline,got yet another operator who was very polite and put me on hold (at least the music isn't too bad).

He then took my name and number and assured me that someone from the parts dept would call me later today.

I politely suggested that he or she read this thread before the call.

RG

Airfix have always seem to have a good spares department for replacements, the problem they have now is that the company that is molding their parts are doing a bad job and to us it seems like Airfix are ignoring the problem, whereas there QA department should be getting on top of this.

The last I heard from Airfix was on the 6th May, after I had complained about the poor replacement canopy they sent me, they asked for a picture of the defect part, which I sent them straight away. I've asked for replacement parts for the Lancaster, Spit PR.XIX and the Mk.XII, but have not received anything since the defect LIghtning canopy. I don't mind waiting for a long time if they can get the canopies right, but I'm just worried that I will wait along time for more defective clear parts.

I was going to get another Lancaster and I was looking forward to more Lightnings the Mk.V Spit, the C-47, the Blenheim's, Do17's and the Swift but until I have seem that they have done something to fix this problem I will not be buying anymore Airfix kits.

Edited by Tbolt

Isn't it typical!

When by 1900 I hadn't heard from 'Airfix' as promised,I put pen to paper and wrote a polite letter detailing the issues.(I had already checked my e-mails)

Just stamped the envelope ready for posting in the morning and noticed that I have just got two e-mails from them.

It appears that they are aware of the faults and are dealing with the company who manufacture their clear parts.They in turn admit to still having a fault in their machine but are addressing the issue.

They also admitted that their communication to customers hadn't been done very well.

I thanked them for their reply and suggested to them that they might save themselves some money in the meantime if somebody in the parts dept looked in the bag to check rather than just post them off and tick the box.

Hopefully due to the fact that many of us highlighted this issue,it will now be addressed.

Richard

• Like 2

Isn't it typical!

When by 1900 I hadn't heard from 'Airfix' as promised,I put pen to paper and wrote a polite letter detailing the issues.(I had already checked my e-mails)

Just stamped the envelope ready for posting in the morning and noticed that I have just got two e-mails from them.

It appears that they are aware of the faults and are dealing with the company who manufacture their clear parts.They in turn admit to still having a fault in their machine but are addressing the issue.

They also admitted that their communication to customers hadn't been done very well.

I thanked them for their reply and suggested to them that they might save themselves some money in the meantime if somebody in the parts dept looked in the bag to check rather than just post them off and tick the box.

Hopefully due to the fact that many of us highlighted this issue,it will now be addressed.

Richard

Well that's nice to know. Yes there communication isn't very good, but at least you have got a sensible reply.

I hope that when the F6 version is released they will have done their QC and none of us will be disappointed.

Duncan B

I second that, but I'm not taking the chance & have cancelled my 4 pre-orders. And the pre-orders I had in for all the rest of the 2014 announcements too.

I've just e-mailed them asking for 3 replacement canopies & also 2 of part A12 - the port airbrake - as in all three kits that part is damaged too! I thought it was a one off in the first kit (half of one actuating arm was broken off & not in the sealed bag), but now I've dug the others out to check the canopies, I found that in both one of the complete arms was missing & also not in the sealed bag. So it seems that at the moment Airfix's QC is non existent.... Haven't heard of that problem from anyone else, so maybe it's just me...!

Such a shame, as I really don't want to stop buying Airfix kits....

Keith

• Like 1

That sounds a bit strange but not unheard of. I have a Tamiya kit in the stash that has one prop blade missing that isn't in the bag but to have 2 kits with the same part missing is odd.

Duncan B