1/48 Harrier GR9A ZG748 41(R) Sqn RAF Coningsby April 2006 '90th Anniversary Scheme'

Well I am calling this one done!!

Kit - Revell Re-box of Hasegawa GR7/9, with, well just one or two extras and some help from a couple of fellow Britmodellers.....

Decals - Model Alliance UK Air Arm Update 2005-2006 Part 1 - courtesy of JAW from the forum, many thanks John.
Ejection Seat - Aeroclub White Metal
Eduard 49-291 Photo Etch
Alleycat 100% LERX
Pavla nose wheel bay and open gear doors
Airwaves undercarriage set
Wolfpack AGM-65 Maverick launchers
Hasegawa Weapons Set AGM-65 Mavericks
Scratch built (smash moulded) AGM-65 seeker covers
Flightpath FOD cover for captive AIM-9 ( itself modified from one of the kit AIM-9's)
Baggage pod, GPS dome and Intake FOD Covers by Shaun on here - great moulding Shaun and they really set off the build.
Scratch built AOA sensor cover and pitot tube covers
Eduard RAF RBF Tags
Scratch built map holder on cockpit coaming.
In the holder is a miniature map of North Wales including the Mach loop!!
The mid wing kink that is an inaccurate feature of the kit was smoothed over on the upper surface.
And possibly a couple of other things that I have forgotten about ...

Camouflage work was completed with Gunze H331 uppers and Tamiya XF-53 lowers.

As per the real aircraft the tail is not white. BMW Individual Pearl was used on the real aircraft, and whilst in the majority of shot it looks white, it does look silver under some lighting conditions. To replicate this I sprayed the tail silver and then from a rattle can sprayed Tamiya Pearl White.

Weathering was achieved using Flory Model and Citadel washes and Tamiya pigments. Tamiya smoke was used for the exhaust staining on the rear fuselage - even though she was kept relatively clean, no Harrier escapes those exhaust stains!! Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear was used to keep the whole lot sealed in.

Enough of the words, onto the pictures....

IMG_9950_1_zps5ca6004f.jpg

IMG_9951_1_zps93e7a56e.jpg

IMG_9953_1_1_zpscde5f7f1.jpg

IMG_9952_1_zps30cfc1a6.jpg

IMG_9937_1_zpsc17931ba.jpg

IMG_9940_1_zpsde19f31e.jpg

IMG_9936_1_zps502fcc80.jpg

IMG_9939_1_zps30347cc9.jpg

IMG_9954_1_zpsfbfa0230.jpg

IMG_9955_1_zpsc712c08b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by graham121
  • Like 18

Excellent build there and some great tips in your write-up - did you do a WIP thread anywhere?

I have the 20 sqn Hase boxing coming through the works - I hope it finishes 1/2 a decent as yours has.

Like raguk, what did you do to smooth over the wing kink 'cos I'm not clear about how bad it is tbh.

cheers - thanks for showing!

Rick

I've seen a technique for smoothing the wing that involves a cut underneath, flattening it down and fixing with CA, but you did something different, I guess? Beautiful job overall, shame there's no close-up on the map!

BRILLIANT !!!!!

Has to be the best build of this kit I have seen to date.

How did you go about correcting the kink in the kits wing?

Thanks for posting

Rick G

Excellent build there and some great tips in your write-up - did you do a WIP thread anywhere?

I have the 20 sqn Hase boxing coming through the works - I hope it finishes 1/2 a decent as yours has.

Like raguk, what did you do to smooth over the wing kink 'cos I'm not clear about how bad it is tbh.

cheers - thanks for showing!

Rick

I've seen a technique for smoothing the wing that involves a cut underneath, flattening it down and fixing with CA, but you did something different, I guess? Beautiful job overall, shame there's no close-up on the map!

First off, thanks for all the comments and feedback, very much appreciated.

Re the kink in the wing..I am of the school of thought that believes the wing is more or less of the correct angles, it is just the the change in angles on the upper surfaces is too sharp.

So I just filled the kink with Superglue and sanded smooth to give a gradual instead of a stepped transition.

I didn't not want to change the angle of the kink as I feel the geometry of the wings is correct enough not to warrant that.

Afraid I did not do a WIP thread for this build so I do not have in progress shots of the fix.

Cheers

First off, thanks for all the comments and feedback, very much appreciated.

Re the kink in the wing..I am of the school of thought that believes the wing is more or less of the correct angles, it is just the the change in angles on the upper surfaces is too sharp.

So I just filled the kink with Superglue and sanded smooth to give a gradual instead of a stepped transition.

I didn't not want to change the angle of the kink as I feel the geometry of the wings is correct enough not to warrant that.

Afraid I did not do a WIP thread for this build so I do not have in progress shots of the fix.

Cheers

Thanks for the info,

I went down the cut route when I built mine a few years back,

Rick G