1/24 Hurricane Mk1 - Trumpeter

Recently started a build of Trumpeter's 1/24 Hurricane Mk1

Been building up to this for a while and done some basic research.

In the main will build out of the box but will include a few scratch built elements to busy it up a little in the cockpit and engine areas.

Will try to remain reasonable close to original sources but I am not intending to recreate a perfect example

Big box - with a big model inside. 1/24 scale is larger than my 1/48 Soviet Tu-2S bomber by some considerable margin.

P1050952_zps8d5480ad.jpg

Some photos of my work to date which has focussed not surprisingly on the cockpit area.

HurricaneMk1-124Trumpeter021_zps11df07be

The instrument panel comes as a clear plastic part, with a film to sandwich between it and the grey plastic part housing the instruments.

I drilled out the instrument faces and then laminated the pieces together after painting the rear of the film in gloss white so as to enhance

the dials which otherwise would not have shown up much.

In the following pictures you will note the colour scheme I adopted.

Basically I looked at quite a bit of research including postings on this site. I was most struck by

the reconstruction of the Finnish Hurricane discussed on this site amongst others. I was therefore

influenced to pick aluminium cockpit tubing construction with an aluminium painted seat also.

A New Zealand reconstruction (I think) also made a strong case for the trim wheel to be in laminated wood

unfortunately there were no decals for the instruments/compass off the main instrument panel

so I made do with a few taken from spares (only had 1/48 available but I think they work.

I also streaked the reserve fuel tank to give it a bit of life - although I have probably over done it a little

as I am sure the fuel would not have been so strong in colour.

HurricaneMk1-124Trumpeter022_zpse2f32f59

The seat harnesses were photo-etch parts included in the kit. The khaki colour does camouflage a

little to much relative to the cockpit green for the side walls and armour plating behind the seat

- I might lighten it up a little later.

HurricaneMk1-124Trumpeter024_zpsa4036782

A few shots of the cockpit dry fitted into the port fuselage - some more wiring to be added later and

the bits shown will be secured later rather than standing so free of the structure.

HurricaneMk1-124Trumpeter026_zps50f3c2a9

HurricaneMk1-124Trumpeter027_zpsf7886ffe

Hope these are of interest

Off to the engine now..

Edited by Trot5ky
  • Like 2

Oh my goodness!.. That's scary.

Looks great though...top job.

I think we have about 4 or so Hurri's on the go at the moment between me, you, Stevej60 and Shoey....chocks away!

• Like 1

Thanks

Have already taken a look at a few WIP but will try to take a look at all those in progress at moment. Will be frat yo see how we each tackle different elements

• 3 weeks later...

Up date on work so far. Not had as much time on the bench as I would have liked but managed to progress the engine to a reasonable level of detail and continued on some of the wing sub-assemblies.

Most of the following will be hidden from view in the final construction but I enjoyed building them and adding a bit of detail to them anyway. The Trumpeter kit doesn't give much of an option for opening panels for engine view and I have never opened up panels of my own and didn't fancy practising on this one.

Engine views - some additional wiring leading towards the instrument/cockpit area - additional piping work in solder and fuse wire etc. Basic engine is OK but did need a little additional work to look more authentic. Lots of source photo's about re the Rolls Royce engine so tried to keep it reasonably authentic - must admit there are some much finer examples in other build posts.

Port side

Hurricaneengine006_zps57c81399.jpg

Starboard side

Hurricaneengine007_zps21c9d98c.jpg

Exhaust are fitted later in the assembly

Sources seem to differ on internal paint colour but some early models apear to have been painted in aluminium paint for the firewalls, inside engine covers and tubular mountings. Hence I chose these colours rather than variations on cockpit green.

Aluminium surfaces are painted as Tamiya aluminium on the base coat with pre and post shading in Tamiya black. Then over-sprayed in Humbrol aluminium. After a seal with 'futures' I applied a wash of black oil thinned in turpentine and then picked out some detail in aluminium and chrome silver (Tamiya). Not 100% sure re authenticity but it gave a pleasing appearance.

Hurricaneengine009_zps94ec2d68.jpg

On to the Wing assemblies - starting with the early detail in the wheel wells:

Hurricaneengine010_zpsec0769d4.jpg

some additional hydraulic detail from source photos.

Hurricaneengine013_zps18fa3d6f.jpg

Then the main fuel tanks and oil reservoir (all of which will be hidden in final view but were fun to paint!!

Hurricaneengine016_zpsbbb16ff8.jpg

Then some final views of the engine and cockpit assembled into the port fuselage prior to closure.

Hurricaneengine018_zps73a36b5a.jpg

Hurricaneengine019_zps07fc684e.jpg

Hope they are of interest - please feel free to offer advice to help with future projects

Edited by Trot5ky
  • Like 2