Hasegawa 1/200 Boeing 787-8 Demonstrator - N787BX (c/n 003)

Well, I realise it's a bit late in the day to start a WIP on this one, but technically it's not finished yet, so here goes. I picked up this kit quite cheaply from Creative Models and I am quite pleased with it. 1/200 is not a scale I've built in before, but for aircraft of this size it still gives a fairly sizable model. On the whole, this is a good kit - fit is generally very good, with a couple of minor exceptions (wing halves). It looks pretty accurate to me, and unlike the Zvezda/Revell version includes separate parts for the Trent 1000 and GEnX engines (although to be honest the differences are quite subtle). The only error I have noted is the APU intake being moulded on the wrong side of the fin. Panel lines are a little on the heavy side, particularly on the fuselage.

I had originally planned this as a LOT Polish Airlines aircraft, but having got two sets of decals (both laser printed) wasn't really all that happy with the resolution (being particularly picky really), so I've gone with the kit decals. Coincidentally, I also saw this aircraft when it visited the Farnborough Airshow back in 2010 when it did a flypast with two Spitfires (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boeing/Boeing-787-8-Dreamliner/1745320/L/&sid=a9351297298616bba1b5f732614e8323).

This is meant to be a quick (for me) build, so I've dispensed with the landing gear and done it in flight. It's painted in Tamiya acrylic spray and Alclad laquers for the leading edges/APU exhaust. Engines and stabilisers are still to be done, and it's still awaiting a clear gloss coat of some description:

13082541214_d2b15b5df6_c.jpg
Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

13082369963_89e354fce2_c.jpg

13082372373_00289fcc82_c.jpg

13082274075_f96cd96246_c.jpg

I still need to tidy up the tail decals a little. The kit decals are alright, if a little thick and on the matt side.

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

Looks great so far Andrew, have you tried any of these AM sheets you have to see how they hold up? I have found some look better on the model once applied than on the backing paper.

No, but I'll hang on the them in case I decide to do another sometime. I had thought to try and mix and match with the kit stencils/windows etc, but they both have the livery combined with other details, so it's not so straightforward.., particularly as one of them at least is rescaled from the Zvezda kit and there's no guarantee of a good match with the details on the Hasegawa kit.

Cheers,

Andrew

Small update, now with added horizontal stabilisers, just push fit at the moment:

13126365913_63dc6b3033_c.jpg

13126226225_d98cabc5ce_c.jpg

Still plugging away at the engines, but getting there!

Thinking about resurrecting my stalled Revell Korean Air 787 build - After a bit of a disaster with some Montana Baby Blue spray paint, I've been down to Halfords to get some alternative paint and came back with some Ford Olympic Blue rather than the recommended Riviera Blue, possibly a tad on the dark side, but not quite Darth Vader-esque. The Riviera Blue seemed much too light to me - maybe it's better over grey primer? To be honest, I've never seen the real colour in the flesh, so I'm going by pictures, but it looks about right to me.

Cheers,

Andrew

ps. I've noticed the wing walkway lines are missing their ends - possibly an error on the decals - the other boxings seem to have continuous lines.

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

• 4 months later...