Gloria Lyons, Kittyhawk MkIV, RNZAF

Hi everyone, thought I`d share some pic`s of my just completed AMT, 1/48 scale P-40N kit

kmdJv7r.jpg

Which I completed to represent a Kittyhawk MkIV of 18 Squadron, RNZAF, Solomon Islands circa 1944

4PrsILj.jpg

The kit is pretty much as Mr AMT intended with just some wire additions here and there.....

rw7pEnk.jpg

and.some paper seat belts

FEMuTvq.jpg

The later style main wheels came from an Eduard/Mauve kit....

oicS3dF.jpg

as did the decals.

pXYiP3S.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at

,Cheers Russ

• Like 18

|Very Nice Russ. I built the same subject several years ago using the Mauve kit from an Eduard boxing with all the accessories Eduard did for it.

• Like 1

Great work Russ! That is outstsnding! Let me ask you what does that white stripеs means( is it the same as the encroaching stripеs like?) Thanks!

Cheers Snitok; The stripes were a theatre marking, used on US and RNZAF P-40`s based in the South Pacific, Solomon Islands area. ( to stop them getting shot down by P-47 Thunderbolts, I read somewhere )

Thanks to Everyone for your nice comments

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

Nice RNZAF P 40N.

Just being curious, the markings, are they out of the kit or aftermarket?

Edi: Reason I ask, is that the White part of the fuselage Roundel should be more narrow in width,

check out the photos in link below.

Don't know if you have read this previous, there were 4 RNZAF aircraft that bore the name Gloria Lyons,

3 P 40's and 1 F4U-1.

Some history for you

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/gl.html

Cheers Snitok; The stripes were a theatre marking, used on US and RNZAF P-40`s based in the South Pacific, Solomon Islands area. ( to stop them getting shot down by P-47 Thunderbolts, I read somewhere )

Thanks to Everyone for your nice comments

The reason for the White stripes were more for identifcation means, as the P 40 bore a similar

planeform to a certain Japanese aircraft. A few RNZAF pilots were on the receiving end of rounds

fired their way, from some of the more trigger happy of our Allies in the PTO :boxing:

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

There are at least two decal sheets with Gloria Lyons markings, but maybe for two different aircraft.

One from Rising decals, and the other from eagle strike, which is OOP.

Well done, Russ.

I've everything in the stash for the same project (hasegawa Ultracast, both decals sheets, etc...), but I still have to chose which aircraft out of three I'll build...

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 1

There are at least two decal sheets with Gloria Lyons markings, but maybe for two different aircraft.

One from Rising decals, and the other from eagle strike, which is OOP.

Well done, Russ.

I've everything in the stash for the same project (hasegawa Ultracast, both decals sheets, etc...), but I still have to chose which aircraft out of three I'll build...

Ventura Publications also do 2 different versions of NZ3220 Gloria Lyons, the Big "G' version in the Pacific

Theatre or when NZ3220 returned home, it was repainted and had just Gloria Lyons.

Previous airframes were NZ3148 and NZ3167

http://www.venturapublications.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=297

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Hi Russ,

Nice RNZAF P 40N.

Just being curious, the markings, are they out of the kit or aftermarket?

Edi: Reason I ask, is that the White part of the fuselage Roundel should be more narrow in width,

check out the photos in link below.

Don't know if you have read this previous, there were 4 RNZAF aircraft that bore the name Gloria Lyons,

3 P 40's and 1 F4U-1.

Some history for you

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/gl.html

The reason for the White stripes were more for identifcation means, as the P 40 bore a similar

planeform to a certain Japanese aircraft. A few RNZAF pilots were on the receiving end of rounds

fired their way, from some of the more trigger happy of our Allies in the PTO :boxing:

Regards

Alan

Cheers Alan, The markings as I said in the text are from the Eduard boxing of the Mauve kit. Yeah I read that article. Glad she recovered

• 4 weeks later...