1/72 DH 106 Comet 4b from the Airfix Nimrod.

Good evening all, I been following the forums for a while now and I gathered was about time to join.

This started to bug me as a project since I got hold of the Olympic airways decals in 1/72. I have not found a decent Comet kit in 1/72 and the available vacform I would not even consider after I had a close look at one second hand.

So I started with the next nearest :banghead::hanging: thing the Nimrod. After I managed to put my hands on one eventually, I started the chopping and filling.

Progress is slow since I have only time to work a few hours on it at weekend, this is two weekends worth of chopping, filling, sanding, chopping, filling, sanding................. So from this...

IMG_3048.jpg

I will arrive at this...... Hopefully.

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

Thanks for looking, Kostas

• Like 12

Perhaps a silly question ''Why has no aftermarket company ever issued a conversion to do this ?''

And another if i may ''Why have we no decent injection moulded kits in 1/72 of the Comet family ?''

Cheers all

Good luck, an enormous amount of work needed here. Now you've got to hurry and get it done as we're all eager to see it. Once again, good luck.

Ambitious, but I've seen it done. Don't forget the 4B had a longer forward fuselage than the 4 or Nimrod

Thank you very much for the comments, I will work on it next weekend again, work commitments.

Dave I downloaded 3d views of both and uploaded them in Autocad, any idea of the lengths involved? Can't make heads or tails, in 1/72 the comet4b scales at 0.499mm the Nimrod at 0.536mm if you discard the bulges and mad antenna length is missing maybe 20mm? or thereabouts?

The Nimrod was built from the 4c, 4b longer fuse and the 4's bigger wing .

Not sure if that helps or not given the difference between the 4c's donor fuse and the added MAD and nose extension 34 Vs the Nim's 38.65 M

I nearly forgot....That's some conversion there, looking forward to the rest!

Edited by bzn20

Had the same idea once but I couldnt find a good enough scale plan of a Comet to get the nose contours right.

IMGP3951.jpg

However, I've now dug out some references but also splashed out on the vacform you mention, and at some stage will probably look at doing a hybrid from the two kits.

Peter

• Like 4

Looking at your stalled kit. It reminded me of the AEW Nimrod at laying forlorn on the airfield at RAF Abingdon 1991/92. Now there is a thought!

Peter, the vacform needs scraping, my honest opinion about it, a lot of hit and miss with it, the diameter of the fuselage does not match, is wider than the Nimrod kit.

The wings are half an inch thick at the engine part. The lenght of the two fuselage halfs is not the same...... But your work looks good to me, keep with it :thumbsup:

David is then 22mm, thanks for the conformation, :cheers: small ring section to be added in the long list :doh:lol

:hmmm:What is the AIM series like??

They seem to cover all the marks.

Lengthwise the nimrod was shortened back to 4 length which was 111 feet six inches. Of course the Nimrod would be longer due to the nose, but the Comet section should be the same as the 4.

It's the engine nacelles that seem daunting to me...similar or the same on top but very different underneath.

Evening all, thanks for the comments and support :) ,

finished the work on the right wing

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

http://s27.postimg.cc/40dl7fhxf/IMG_3155.jpg
http://s27.postimg.cc/lp5bz1toj/IMG_3156.jpg

Plug 25mm in length inserted and made a pigs ear of it,rather than mark and cut, yep I just cut,

needless to say that the cut was not straight and nearly cut myself a few times :banghead:

IMG_3157.jpg

http://s11.postimg.cc/x94qro63n/IMG_3157.jpg

Then started on the underside eventually, took about 4 attempts :chair:

IMG_3152.jpg

The front end it was a bit easier than the chaos I started with in the rear

IMG_3154.jpg

Next weekend to be continued, be well!!!

Edited by Kilo Tango
  • Like 3

Peter, the vacform needs scraping, my honest opinion about it, a lot of hit and miss with it, the diameter of the fuselage does not match, is wider than the Nimrod kit.

The wings are half an inch thick at the engine part. The lenght of the two fuselage halfs is not the same...... But your work looks good to me, keep with it :thumbsup:

David is then 22mm, thanks for the conformation, :cheers: small ring section to be added in the long list :doh:lol

AIM did the Comet 4B a very long time ago and everything you say about it is correct! That kit was withdrawn many years ago due to the errors and the kits now available are completely unrelated to the old kit. If the kit you have includes BEA 'Red Square' decals, then that is the old kit.

Steve

• Like 1

This really is coming along very nicely. Your making it look easy. Then I guess were most of us would look at it and think. HMM its possible but a lot of work and then shy away. You have just gone for it and got stuck in with desire to get the job done. Its brilliant. Nothing better than seeing it truly being butchered into submission and Its really looking more comet than nimrod now.

Great stuff keep up the good work ;)