A319 to a321

Looks like you need photos! Just as well I'm at work this afternoon. I'll try and get some photos of the wing tip fence for you.

Feoffee2, sorry to take this off-topic for a moment, but can I suggest you consider a little more carefully before quoting other posts, particularly those containing images, as it tends to clutter up the forum with multiple copies and often doesn't add that much. If you're replying to a recent post, hopefully that should be clear from the context, if not you could always just quote selected passages rather than the whole post.

Thanks,

Andrew

Here you go, measured off the actual drawing of the wing tip fence; note that the section above the wing tip is angled out about 10° from the vertical:

Thank you sir! So these are the correct dimensions, right? Actually the ones I have in the kit are a little bit bigger. I mean the proportions are different, but the top corner extends farther.

Feoffee2, sorry to take this off-topic for a moment, but can I suggest you consider a little more carefully before quoting other posts, particularly those containing images, as it tends to clutter up the forum with multiple copies and often doesn't add that much. If you're replying to a recent post, hopefully that should be clear from the context, if not you could always just quote selected passages rather than the whole post.

Thanks,

Andrew

Will bear that in mind thanks

Thank you sir! So these are the correct dimensions, right? Actually the ones I have in the kit are a little bit bigger. I mean the proportions are different, but the top corner extends farther.

Yes, they were taken direct from the production drawing of the latest type. I should really add the length along the upper leading edge.

There have actually been three versions of the fence:

The very first design had a pointed upper aft tip like this: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Strategic-Airlines/Airbus-A320-212/1905692/L/&sid=02a14a73b98ba7dcd009b06bb0f21b0 . These are the ones in the Revell kits although their proportions are way off, especially the upper half.

The fence was then redesigned to reduce the parts count and as part of this the upper and lower corners were 'cropped' to produce the shape in the diagram:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Avianova/Airbus-A320-232/1654039/L/&sid=02a14a73b98ba7dcd009b06bb0f21b03

The final (pre-sharklet) version is even simpler as it now effectively consists of two halves riveted together! These are virtually identical in shape and size to the previous version:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Niki/Airbus-A320-214/2063783/L/&sid=0c59c894160554f498ce40d5dc709741

From memory (I'll check the exact change points) the first type was superseded about the time the A321 entered production and the latest version about MSN 3500.They're all fully interchangeable and (mostly) early aircraft could now have any one of the three fitted. Incidentally the Bra.Z replacements (the grey ones below) are about the right size but are also the original design.

DSCF1057_zpsd07b5e30.jpg

They can be easily modified by squaring off the upper aft tip and chamfering the lower corner.

• 3 weeks later...