A319 to a321

The Revell A320 and A319 kits have A321 wings out of the box, you need to do nothing. But that fuselage might need a bit of filler!

The Revell A320 and A319 kits have A321 wings out of the box, you need to do nothing. But that fuselage might need a bit of filler!

Nothing...

That's what I thought thanks

Interesting, what are you using to fill the extensions with?

Revell plasto

That's one heck of a conversion, lots of work on the wings as well as the fuselage stretch - should be fun!

Hi

The A-319 and A-320 use a simple one piece flap that moves aft and down along tracks hidden under the flap fairings. The A-321 has a more complex double slotted flap, the aft portion of the flap deflects more than the main body of the flap as they extend. These secondary flap sections have their own sets of fairings that cover the actuating mechanism (not seen on 319/320's). They also increase the wing area, being larger than the 319/320 flaps.

The other significant changes are the location of the emergency exits - no longer over the wing, but being moved ahead of the leading edge and behind the trailing edge, and increased in size. Each of these has a slide/raft door below them, now. The engine strakes are not the same as a 319/320 also.

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon

Hi

The A-319 and A-320 use a simple one piece flap that moves aft and down along tracks hidden under the flap fairings. The A-321 has a more complex double slotted flap, the aft portion of the flap deflects more than the main body of the flap as they extend. These secondary flap sections have their own sets of fairings that cover the actuating mechanism (not seen on 319/320's). They also increase the wing area, being larger than the 319/320 flaps.

The other significant changes are the location of the emergency exits - no longer over the wing, but being moved ahead of the leading edge and behind the trailing edge, and increased in size. Each of these has a slide/raft door below them, now. The engine strakes are not the same as a 319/320 also.

Colin

Thanks will look into it

As Mark mentioned earlier, all Revell A320 series kits come with A321 wings, depicting the double-slotted flaps....

I think you may be better of using milliput to fill the gaps

I have some so will try it on the other side and see how they compare , is it stronger?

Thanks

looks like an interesting project - have you a particular airline in mind for the finished bird? BA would look good of perhaps the old BWIA livery

It is between ba and the new american livery

Thanks

The engine strakes are not the same as a 319/320 also.

Colin

Interesting! I'd not noticed that- just an additional outboard nacelle chine on each engine (both CFM and IAE)?. Are they the same shape?

Andrew

Ahh, the engine nacelle strake conundrum... :blink: There are two sizes: large and small and various different configurations. From memory, the large ones are about 200-250mm tall; the small ones are about 100-150mm. Both are the same width.

All A319s have two strakes per engine; the CFM56 has the small and the V2500 has the large version.

The A320-100 didn't have strakes fitted at all. The A320-200 can have one or two dependent on engine sub-type, but if one is fitted it's only ever on the inner cowl; again the CFM56 uses the smaller version, the V2500 the large.

A321s also always have two strakes per engine. As before, CFM56 equipped A321s have small strakes. V2500 powered A321-100s were originally fitted with small strakes but can be fitted with the larger version as a customer option. V2500 powered A321-200s always have large strakes.

Mixing small and large strakes is not permitted. However, the aircraft Configuration Deviation List (CDL) permits operation of an aircraft with between one to all four missing (with performance penalties)! :banghead: The inner ones are the most important since they provide more lift. Since they're not handed, an outer strake can be transferred inboard to reduce the penalty.

I have some so will try it on the other side and see how they compare , is it stronger?

Thanks

It is between ba and the new american livery

Thanks

Milliput is much stronger and ideal for this task; it can be shaped with a wet finger after application, dries rock hard but can be sanded really smooth and has a longer work time than the Plasto. It also won't melt the plastic. I trust that you will be lining the inside of the gap with plasticard to support the filler otherwise it'll definitely be a tail sitter!

Both BA and AA use the V2500 engine (therefore dual large nacelle strakes). BA A321s have wing tip fences (note that the kit ones are about 50% too small) and the AA ones are all Sharklet equipped.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

Ahh, the engine nacelle strake conundrum... :blink: There are two sizes: large and small and various different configurations. From memory, the large ones are about 200-250mm tall; the small ones are about 100-150mm. Both are the same width.

All A319s have two strakes per engine; the CFM56 has the small and the V2500 has the large version.

The A320-100 didn't have strakes fitted at all. The A320-200 can have one or two dependent on engine sub-type, but if one is fitted it's only ever on the inner cowl; again the CFM56 uses the smaller version, the V2500 the large.

A321s also always have two strakes per engine. As before, CFM56 equipped A321s have small strakes. V2500 powered A321-100s were originally fitted with small strakes but can be fitted with the larger version as a customer option. V2500 powered A321-200s always have large strakes.

Mixing small and large strakes is not permitted. However, the aircraft Configuration Deviation List (CDL) permits operation of an aircraft with between one to all four missing (with performance penalties)! :banghead: The inner ones are the most important since they provide more lift. Since they're not handed, an outer strake can be transferred inboard to reduce the penalty.

Milliput is much stronger and ideal for this task; it can be shaped with a wet finger after application, dries rock hard but can be sanded really smooth and has a longer work time than the Plasto. It also won't melt the plastic. I trust that you will be lining the inside of the gap with plasticard to support the filler otherwise it'll definitely be a tail sitter!

Both BA and AA use the V2500 engine (therefore dual large nacelle strakes). BA A321s have wing tip fences (note that the kit ones are about 50% too small) and the AA ones are all Sharklet equipped.

HTH,

Jonathan

Excellent info

I am gonna use milliput for the other side and also using plasticard and coffee things

Thanks

Speaking of wing fences, does anyone have a scale drawing or the correct dimensions for those? I have an Austrian a321 on the workbench and I'm not sure how much bigger the fences should be...

Thanks in advance.