A couple of Sopwith Pups and SE5a's

Don't you just tie the top wing into place?

bob

No. Not normally - I'm not sure I'd trust it, to be honest.

But then There's the easy way of doing it and the "Crookedmouth Way" :-)

Hi crookedmouth I just found your build, at the start of your WIP, did I read correctly that you enjoy rigging? I can see I'm writing to someone who's clearly insane :analintruder: , but joking aside, I'm following this build with interest one of my family who I'll not mention bought me a Gladiator, this after I clearly said No biplanes I've never tried to do any rigging, so keep up the great work mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi crookedmouth I just found your build, at the start of your WIP, did I read correctly that you enjoy rigging? I can see I'm writing to someone who's clearly insane

Johnny - mind-numbingly, disappointingly sane, I'm afraid. I find the process quite relaxing...

actually, I think I see what you mean. Wibble.

Rigging a 1/144 scale model biplane is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to ream out all the holes. Next, thread the fishing line through each one. Then slap a coat of paint on her and pull it all tight

DSCN1353_zps9e1f9758.jpg

• Like 2

And last of all, because rigging the so-and-so wasn't hard enough, I now discover that Valom want me to manufacture the exhaust stubs myself. Thanks for that.

DSCN1361_zps319ac2fd.jpg

DSCN1362_zps3a29f5bd.jpg

And the PE painted ready for that make-or-break moment...

DSCN1358_zps599d5cb5.jpg

• Like 1

Rigging a 1/144 scale model biplane is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to ream out all the holes. Next, thread the fishing line through each one. Then slap a coat of paint on her and pull it all tight

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....I am so glad your back Campbell!!!!!!!!!!

still laughing!!

• Like 2

So today's installment... setting the struts.

DSCN1363_zps3f276c7c.jpg

Getting the top wing on...

DSCN1366_zpscc1f90a9.jpg

...and then pull through the wires.

DSCN1368_zps6791f7f5.jpg

Now looks like it's grown a healthy crop of... ahem... short and curlies

And guess what? I forgot to paint the bloomin' Lewis gun

• Like 2

Well I will now. There was a sudden but not entirely unexpected twang! and now the Lewis is eminently accessible :(

Back to the drawing board, Hoskins

Edited by crookedmouth

Well I will now. There was a sudden but not entirely unexpected twang! and now the Lewis is eminently accessible :(

Back to the drawing board, Hoskins

oops!....well at least the gun can be painted! ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

having spent a few weeks contemplating the build and doing stuff, I recently picked the models up again and got No1 Pup rigged and decalled...

IMG_61187480494263_zpsb0c29cb2.jpg

IMG_61193346615932_zpsa0126de1.jpg

IMG_61198224799142_zps3c7818b2.jpg

While the kit comes with parts and decals for two planes, there is only one fin flash , so Im scratching Chin Chows using scrap decal. Ive seen beter renditions of this kit, but Im pleased with progress.

I'm trying my first biplane.....fascinating how you are doing the rigging.

How do you secure them once they are pulled through? :shrug:

CA glue, Winenut. Pulled finger tight for a few seconds till it sets. But be careful! I ended up with a 1/144 Sopwith Pup superglued to my fingers. Which makes scratching your bum a bit tricky...

• Like 1

I'm calling the first Pup done. The wheels are screwed and there's a strange mark on the tailplane that may be toothpaste (!?!) but I'm happy enough and hopefully Pup #2 will be the better for this one.

DSCN1578_zps44ccae82.jpg

DSCN1579_zps667ab4d2.jpg

DSCN1580_zps9837df7d.jpg

DSCN1581_zpsa1242519.jpg

Well done Campbell! You have got me wondering just how much detail could be crammed into one of these things :hmmm: its always a bad sign when I start thinking along these lines.

Martin

Well done Campbell! You have got me wondering just how much detail could be crammed into one of these things :hmmm: its always a bad sign when I start thinking along these lines.

Martin

noooo! Stop right there Martin! That way lies madness.

Bloody brilliant Campbell for such a tiny model ...looks brilliant....

but if I was you I would keep it out of the bathroom and away from toothpaste...and definitely keep it away from the toilet !! :shit:

I swear I have no idea how it got toothpaste on it!

TBH I'm not 100% happy with it, but I reckon that tbe second Pup will look a bit better for the lessons learned. I have the Valom SE5a and Fokker DVsomethingorother kits to do... But I also have a half finished Airfix 1/48 Frightening in my Box of Shame...