Revell 1/144 Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo WhiteKnightTwo

Greetings folks,

First completed build of the year. When I saw this it jumped right to the top of the to do pile! Please forgive me for deviating from the one true scale. :pray: Whilst it might happen again, it shouldn't happen too often :winkgrin:

Very nice kit, went together easily, with excellent fit. I say that, however the instructions call for some glazing to be installed before the fuselage halves are joined, one window of which straddles the fuselage seam. I considered this a recipe for disaster, so I ignored the glazing, filled the seams and then filled each window with white glue to protect the interior grey from the white paint to follow. After the sealing gloss coat, I removed the white glue with a new No. 11 blade and then filled each window with Airfix Clear Fix, albeit with only partial success, some are crystal clear, others have fogged over as it dried. At least I got a sharp edge on each window.

The instructions call for 5g of nose weight in each fuselage including SpaceShipTwo. It seems overkill initially, but once built there's not a huge load on the nose gear. It also gives a nice weight to the finished product. There's not a lot of space in there, however, so I tried Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity. Nice stuff, though I found it time-consuming mixing it with white glue and packing the required amount in. Paint was Zero White Filler Primer, which gave such a smooth finish once cut back with Micromesh that I just gloss coated with Alclad Acqua-gloss. The rocket nozzle was done in Alclad Copper, the engine inlets in Xtracolour Boeing Grey, and the tires were done using the new Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black acrylic. Finally a quick drying replacement for Xtracolour Tire Black!

Decals went on pretty well, treated with copious amounts of Set and Sol, with no adverse effects, and by large settled down nicely, save for a few wrinkles that refused to budge on the large underside decal. On with the photos!

Normal service will resume (1/72 scale)...

Darren

38497315362_f4d455b931_k.jpg

38497315462_b23da3fd7a_k.jpg

38497315352_0116ebbf0d_k.jpg

38497315442_14edaedfe7_k.jpg

38497315702_7e2b1d4ab2_k.jpg

38497315692_a1923ff7ab_k.jpg

38497315652_28ab3d69ba_k.jpg

37813455174_704e641178_k.jpg

38473296856_04ac617218_k.jpg

Edited by Darren Rhodes
Photo links edited
  • Like 6

Thanks guys, very kind.

Ken, indeed, it is, in fact I almost past on it because it was 1/144. However, it does come out a reasonable size, almost a foot across, so it would be one large model in 72nd, just short of 2 feet across! From your photo, it's interesting to see that the design has evolved quite a bit as it's been scaled up to SS2/WK2.

Darren