Dragon 1/3 M-14 Rifle (Vietnam fiberglass smooth sided) - Completed

Build 13

A bit of an unusual subject for me as a model. I've got a ridiculously large collection (98) of Airsoft rifles, sub-machine guns and pistols (even a LAW rocket launcher) but I've never owned an M-14 as it's not suitable for my style of play. So when I found this & a double pack of Glock 17s on eBay I couldn't resist and I ended up only paying £3.97 for the lot!

The stock is smooth-sided so I'm doing it as one of the early fiberglass versions that were used in Vietnam, the stock is pre-painted but the colour is too light and not glossy enough so it'll be getting a repaint.

Price: £1.99 from eBay.

2014-03-0701364801_zpsb05cdb39.jpg

2014-03-0908314501_zpsa7e209dd.jpg

• Like 1

I've sprayed the stock with a custom mix of Revell 82 matt Dark Earth, 08 matt Black & 34 gloss Ferrari Red acrylics, it will darken slightly to match the real colour with a few coats of Clear on it. The real stock were quite glossy so I'll add a few coats to match but still look in scale.

2014-03-1220534601_zps974bcb9a.jpg

I don't think so, I tried to find them online to see how much they cost, but the few places I found listed them as either out of stock or discontinued. :(

I've sprayed the clear on and it's darkened the colour perfectly to match the photos of real stocks I've found online.

2014-03-1422560301_zps1381b6d3.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, the early fiberglass stocks were similar to the wood stocks except for the grip area which was wider. I've not dug up any specific dimensions but "slightly" is used a lot when articles describe the size difference. They even had wooden inserts at the mounting points so they could use the same hardware, the later chequer grip stocks were apparently changed for ease of manufacture.

I can't tell if that's a Trijicon RWR or a Docter Sight III siting on top of the ACOG but it's an interesting combo on a M14.

• 4 weeks later...

I built the Glock set I picked up at the same time as the M-14 yesterday. It wasn't worth starting a separate build thread as they only took 10 minutes to put together once painted :P The set had 1 black and 1 sand & black pistol, I sprayed one of the slides silver and the sand receiver I sprayed with rattle can Krylon olive drab. The only other thing I had to do was paint the 9mm rounds. I love the replica Glock pistol case that came with the set B)

Dsc03268_zpsfd7220f1.jpg

Dsc03269_zps1c0c84fc.jpg

Dsc03273_zps2f8cc359.jpg

Dsc03276_zpsb1fcff33.jpg

Dsc03282_zpsc902abce.jpg

• Like 1