Bf-109 G-6 1/72 AZ Model OOB - FINISHED

Oki, i was going with the idea "you have to learn it one day anyway!" and did the mottling straight by airbrush. The hardest thing was to find right combination of air pressure and thinner in the colour.. Not that i know how i did it, was going with try-error method.. :) When i was swicthing colours, i managed to pull the air hose and the airbrush fell off the table (yay me... :( ) and as result the top of the needle was bent. I tried to make it back narrow, but it simply broke, so the top of the needle was gone.. Well, i thought i ll try it anyway and it was going even better.. now i m not telling you to cripple your airbrushes, not at all!! :) but i ll keep this broken needle for next similar purposes :))

So, the mottling is done, i tried to follow the pattern but after some time i was focusing more on not screw the paint work.. So its not exactly how it should be.

I did also some chipping to the drop tank :)

014.jpg

013.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks a lot guys :) I gave it gloss coat with future kind of stuff before i was going to sleep, tonight i ll do some decals.

For masking i used tamiya tape for the white/yellow strips (painted these first, then used tape over it, i think it works better than trying to paint the strips at the very end), for the top side camo i used blu-tack to make the lines and then again tamiya tape to mask the fields. So after painting and masking the yellow/white areas, i did paint the bottom side colour (on the fuselage sides too), then masked the fuselage line with blue-tack(BT) and rest of the bottom side colour with tamiya tape(TT). Then i did paint the lighter grey and did some postshading to it (most ppl would do it later probably, after all base colours are painted, but i was lazy and did not want to do masking for the second time, so i did it at this moment carefuly) and masked the lines with the dark grey with BT, covering the lighter grey between the lines with TT. Then i painted the dark grey with postshading to it again.

Then i unmasked the fuselage and top side (leaving bottom side masked still) and did the mottling. I am still fighting with the stuff like how much air pressure, how much thinner and so, so i was realy scared, i did not want to make some "map" effect or even spit some blob to it, if i was not careful enough. So it took me pretty much time, but better safe than sorry.. :)

The chipping on the fuel tank is done with mig´s absolute chipping (quite like hairspray method, but it feels safer to me somehow) - so painting base with alclad dull aluminium, then applying the chipping stuff, following with light coat of blue-grey and after some time you can do the chipping, using water and tooth pick, needle or whatever you like. To the big chips i did add dot of darker metal colour.

• Like 2

That works really well. The shading effects are looking great - and thank you for sharing your masking technique - very informative.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hey again, i think i m geting closer to the finish, should be finished tomorrow :)

Yesterday i gave it tough coat of acrylic gloss varnish (sidolux, aka future, klar or such a stuff) and started with decals. Today afternoon i finished the decals - the decals from the kit are quite nice, though i couldnt manage their edges to disapear even after many many coats of varnish over it (and i used the set/sol kind of stuff for application ofcourse), but it might be me realy. The decals settle down realy well into all the panel lines and rivets (all the rivets on the kit are original, i did not made single one.. realy great detailed kit this one!).

There were tons of stencils too - only one con there and that is, for some stencils there was not clear how should you apply it, under what angle. But other than that, the decals were great.

After decals were set, i gave it again few layers of acrylic gloss varnish as preparation for wash. I tried to make wash with italeri/vallejo acrylics thinned by watter for the bottom side, but it was a bit tricky, because of the acrylic varnish under it. I found out i had to clean the excess in like 2-3 mins. If i tried earlier, i did clean even the colour from panel lines. And if i tried later, i could not clear it and had to use white spirit carefuly, and even that did not help sometimes. Maybe if i used enamel based varnish, it would be better.

Anyway, for the top side i chosed to go again with oil colours thinned with white spirit. I have only like 6 colours, so used faded white, a tiny bit of black, a tiny bit of brown to make some kind of lightly dirt grey for the fuselage sides and lighter grey top camo, for the darker grey on top areas i used slightly darker wash, for the control surfaces lines i tried to make a bit darker yet, but only a bit.

I had one more bad thing happening (i cannt make a kit without anything like that...), when i tried to give it flat coat. I m usualy using italeri acrylic flat varnish, thinned with vallejo airbrush cleaner, and it was always ok. But now, when i tried it on the propeller, it instantly made the surface like blue-white-greyish.. I thought it needed more thinner, but that did not help. So after thinking a bit (other options i had here were alcohol based matt coat and alclad2 matt coat - but the alcohol based is sometimes too agressive and the alclad i did not test yet over acrylics), i was going to try some GSI flatt topcoat can spray i bought by accident some time ago. Well, it got pretty handy now :) I did not apply it straight, instead i sprayed it into my airbrush and then used airbrush to give the flat coat to the kit. It was almost invisible layer, but it worked instantly and great.. i think i ll have to get this stuff for normal airbrush, because it is realy great hard matt finish.

So well, here is progress so far.

015.jpg

016.jpg

Here is fuel tank with a bit of weathering, you can see rest of small parts on bakcground :)

017.jpg

018.jpg

Tomorrow i ll make a bit of drybrushing (tail wheel construction, a bit on the bulges on engine cover and so), a bit of chipping (realy not much) and i think i ll give a try and paint smoke trails with airbrush (but i ll try on some test subject first :) )

• Like 4

Paintwork looks fantastic.

You mentioned you previously did post shading by drybrushing. Can you give me some more info on that, as I would love to try, and don't have an airbrush.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words guys :) I tried some smoke (not the tamiya one though, it was out of stock) and i duno, on some areas it looks good, on some areas i probably killed it a bit.. :( I had a bit problems with airbrush (well, might as well be just my hands as usualy :) ) and also the "smoke" effect is going like nothing - nothing - nothing - you can see it slightly - same - same - same - BOOM BLACK SPOT! I ll need practice with this stuff a lot i see :(

To MPaul - drybrushing the post shading was nothing too hard, i did it when i was back to modelling half year ago but i still was not enough brave to go on airbrush postshading :) So simply paint the surface with the camo colour and then mix lighter shade of the colour (better not use only white, its good to use lighter shade of your colour, like if you do it on green, use light green to get lighter shade of the original), which i just drybrushed on the panels, going from middle and lightly and gently continuing to the edges. The effect was not as good as with airbrush, but not as bad as well. You can see it hopefuly on my airacobra which was my first kit after returning back

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952940-p-39n-academy-minicraft-172/

But i m even worse photograph than modeller so its realy hard to see the shading effects on my photos :( sorry

• Like 1

You are waaaay too modest! Stunning work on this and the P-39N. I will have to try your post shading on my Spitfires - will practice on my test model first.

• Like 1

Thanks Stix :) I just have image in my mind, how i would love my kits to look. And at this moment i m not even close yet.. :) I m happy for anything i made, because i spent time on it and did my best, but i know there is damn long way ahead of me yet (if i ever get there.. :) )
Right now i m at work, ll be at home soon and hopefuly the smoke stuff ll be dry already by then so i ll mask the canopy (i always unmask it too soon!!!) and do some more flat coat over the "smoked" areas.

Btw for those using tamiya smoke, is it gloss too? Because i used agama smoke from their red line (spirit based) and its glossy.. which is pretty bad, because you cannt see good how the effect is changng and also, the gloss surface makes the next coats of the smoke "streak" instead of just blend...

• Like 1

No problem MPaul, it was not my invention ofcourse :) So i m only sharing what i did learn around here :)

To the 109 - i call it finished now :) (i m sorry, i cannt find how to change the topic name to reflect this change :( )

I wanted to go for some dirty look but not that much. I probably overdid it, but lesson for next time :) Overall the AZ 109s are GREAT kits, i would recommend it to anyone. It might not fit like tamiya (though i did not have any big problems, most were caused by myself), but the details are maybe even better and i m not kidding here.. The cockpit, wheel wells details, undercarriage, tail wheel, even rivets on wings, realy great...

Well, enough talks, here are some photos, i ll post more to gallery and RFI :)

(ready for inspection can be find here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957397-bf-109g-6-az-model-172/ for anyone interested :) )

025.jpg

031.jpg

I m sorry, cannt make better photos, did my best, but i dont have enough light and the phone camera is not the best as well (+ holding it by hands ofc leaves it shaking a bit :) )

Anyway, when i was giving the 109 to next kits, i was surprised about its size compared to other planes, which i thought were smaller.. So maybe it ll be interesting for some people too :)

vs Hurricane Mk.I

039.jpg

vs A6M2b

038.jpg

vs Spitfire Mk.Vb

040.jpg

If you would ask me before, i would say the 109 was bigger than zero or hurricane.. O.o i see i was wrong

Oh and one more image if you dont mind guys. This is Airfix Bf 109E-4, which i made like 3-4 months ago (used MPD decals for Galland´s plane) - i never finished this fully, because i oversprayed yellow on wing and it kinda frustrated me, but overall, i think it shows some personal progress :)

037.jpg

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 5